2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93392 - 15/12/03 07:24 PM Help with trading my 2wd for 4wd
ccspelman Offline

Loc: el paso, texas and connecticut
I am thinking about trading in my 00 xterra for a 03 or 04 4X4. I just have a couple of questions, if anyone could help. I would really like to have a 5spd but I am going to be towing a little bit.. so is that bad for the transmission? Is automatic better?

Also, any main differences between the 03 and 04? Honestly I hate to see my 00 go. I love the square headlights and plain interior, but oh well, guess I should have bought a 4X4 to start!

Thanks!

#93393 - 15/12/03 09:17 PM Re: Help with trading my 2wd for 4wd
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
Financing rates are so low, who couldn't resist the temptation? If you get the 4x4, you wouldn't regret the switch. But expect a compromise on towing capacity. 7500 versus 5000 for stick shift. What are you planning to tow anyway?

#93394 - 15/12/03 09:43 PM Re: Help with trading my 2wd for 4wd
ccspelman Offline

Loc: el paso, texas and connecticut
well i am possibly planning on towing a uhaul trailer behind me when i make my move from texas to connecticut. but as i'm researching i'm wondering if i should not let that make my decision on 5spd or automatic since i can just get a big uhaul truck.

another question i have is whether or not i should trade in my x before i pay it off. do you really get ripped off if you haven't payed off the x yet?

and what should i get, 03 or 04? i noticed the 04 is about 1000 cheaper and doesn't have as many features.

?

#93395 - 15/12/03 09:44 PM Re: Help with trading my 2wd for 4wd
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
Quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:
[b]7500 versus 5000 for stick shift.
No, it's 5000 vs. 3500 for stick shift.[/b]
I stand corrected.

#93396 - 15/12/03 10:15 PM Re: Help with trading my 2wd for 4wd
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by ccspelman:
do you really get ripped off if you haven't payed off the x yet?
Depends on if you owe more than your X is worth.

you will always get a better deal if you sell the X yourself than just giving it to a dealer...

Remember, any new car transaction is actually three - (1) selling your existing car (2) negotiating the price for your new car (3) negotiating the financing for your new car. Do them as a package deal and you are playing a shell game that the dealer knows how to win - you will pay to much. Treat them as individual transactions and get the best you can on each and you will save money - it's that simple.

Read up at a good site - like http://www.carbuyingtips.com. Fill out the spreadsheet in chapter 4. Find out what you qualify for on financing BEFORE you go to the dealer, see if you can sell your current X ahead of time.... that's just for starters.

Do some reading, crunch the numbers and then you will know for sure if it makes sense for you. You don't have to have a vauge feeling if it would make sense, the tools are there for you to determine factually if it makes sense - but you will have to do a bit of research. It was worth it to me...

Good luck!

#93397 - 16/12/03 09:01 AM Re: Help with trading my 2wd for 4wd
ashleynatlanta Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Docno knows what he is talking about. I have changed cars three times in the last three years. First, in Dec 2000, I sold my 9 year old Honda Accord and got about $5,000 for it, compared to dealers offering $3,000. Then, a year and a half later, I sold my X, waa, and got about $2,000 more on that than the trade-in showed it was worth. That car that I bought after the X I actually sold 6 months later for the EXACT SAME PRICE I paid for it. I lost a couple payments, but got it back. Then, negotiated a good deal on the current X, and overall I am sitting pretty good on it financially.

Sell your car.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal