2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375590 - 14/09/01 03:39 PM Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
do you hold any kind of copywrite for the term GOX?

this popped up in a thread concerning the upcoming Calico Ghost Town trip:

link to thread

when jackel (after looking at the number of states represented) made the statement "Can you say GOX West?"

well basicly i was wondering,

Can We?

and if so what is the plan for GOXIII, I would like to offset Calico by 3-6 months as not to burn anyone out and make the prospect of both available to the most people possible.

Also i was just thinking this whole thing might make some sense, GOX, GOXWest, GOXEast(east coast X. Challenge), let me know...

I dont want to step on toes, and its only a name thing, so its not a big deal,the event will go on just the same

[ 09-14-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#375591 - 14/09/01 10:48 PM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
"Gathering of Xterras" can't be copyrighted, only the logo design, web site and text accompanying it can be (and are implied).

I could trademark GOX, but that's a bit pricey. Besides, Nissan probably wouldn't appreciate it, since Xterra is their trademark.

Last year I offered GOX West and East artwork and logos to anyone wanting to host a similar event, but other names were chosen. Artwork can also be supplied, and modified if I approve the design.

The offer still stands.

#375592 - 15/09/01 09:06 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

i never saw the offer.

I absolutely would do it...

as for a logo, i was thinking of taking the GOX logo and simply changing the colors and slapping a "West" on it.

something like this:

but if you have another logo you like then i'd be happy to go with that... GOX is after all your baby smile

As for other names being choosen over GOXWest for similar events...

That is fine by me, There really is not a similar event out here, there is the NCCX/SCCX joint xcursion but thats it, it is an event covering 1 state and 2 clubs, the event I'm planning is open to anyone, just so long as they own an X...

This year is running down to the wire, so it is small, 15 X's from 5 states, but I think that it will grow...

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#375593 - 15/09/01 10:30 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

maybe just talking on here is easier than via e-mail Ivan laugh

Like I said, I want to see the logos Ian has...

i do kinda like the oval idea, but i would liek to see it say "Gathering of Xterras" somewhere...

just my .02

#375594 - 15/09/01 11:57 AM Re: Hey Ian
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Hey man it is not just your 2 cents it is your event so you have the whole dollar. take a look at it now I made some tiny changes including adding the gathering of xterras line.

#375595 - 15/09/01 12:58 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

no the "west" is my event, but this really is Ian's baby.

as for your logo, for now(until i here more from ian...

I think that the "Gathering..." needs to be larger, but at the same time i also think the "GOX" should fill more of the free space...

im not a big fan of red... however it is only a color so its not a big thing to change...

I dont have the time now(i will tonight) but i will put together some ideas when i get a chance

#375596 - 15/09/01 01:18 PM Re: Hey Ian
imacsae Offline

Don't sweat it man I know you want to see what your options are before you make up your mind. I am just playing around with the idea for fun. I like doing this kind of stuff I changed the color and size of text a bit.

#375597 - 16/09/01 12:11 AM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

#375598 - 16/09/01 12:34 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

could go for that...

what do you think of mine?

i can go either way...

just gonna save time and use yours Ian...

do you happen to have a .psd or .eps of it, so i can add the cool drop shadow like the GOX 2001 logo has?

#375599 - 16/09/01 12:40 AM Re: Hey Ian
chewy50 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
My .02 cents...I like Ian's design just a little better. The font is a little more "ballsy", for lack of a better term, and I like how the "WEST" doesn't get in the way of the GOX. Just an opinion from out east!

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: chewy50 ]

"You just go and lay your hand
on a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan,
And I think you're gonna finally understand..." Charlie Daniels

#375600 - 16/09/01 12:44 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

yeah that was kinda my thinking... i didn't have the same font on my system... and the west underneath just works better...

NICE EDIT IAN!!!!!!

ok... thanks that'll work great, i can size it down if i need to but having it large is great...

thanks ian

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#375601 - 16/09/01 12:49 AM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Hows that ? (refresh the page)

#375602 - 16/09/01 12:51 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

all is right with the world...

well not quite but its a start...

laugh

i'll get a web page reworked and out tommorow...

#375603 - 16/09/01 11:19 AM Re: Hey Ian
imacsae Offline

Good job todrick I really like the designe of the site and the color scheme is appropriate. So are we gonna try to make a sticker or should we just forget about that option.

By the way refresh I did a little change just for fun.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: imacsae ]

#375604 - 16/09/01 11:28 AM Re: Hey Ian
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
Not to be a dick, but with only 10-15 people able to go (right after GOX, us people not within 4 hours can't make it) I'd like to see it wait until next year to be called GOX West, only because GOX is something that ALL people would like to attend, and with such short notice, we aren't able.

I overheard someone at GOX talking about another event that would be a nationwide thing, so hopefully next year, they will be spaced out enough where all of us "long haulers" can plan it.

Have a good trip and post lots of pictures!

#375605 - 16/09/01 03:19 PM Re: Hey Ian
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by XROCK:
Not to be a dick, but with only 10-15 people able to go (right after GOX, us people not within 4 hours can't make it) I'd like to see it wait until next year to be called GOX West, only because GOX is something that ALL people would like to attend, and with such short notice, we aren't able.

I overheard someone at GOX talking about another event that would be a nationwide thing, so hopefully next year, they will be spaced out enough where all of us "long haulers" can plan it.

So any time you get 10 people together it's a GoX? I guess we are hosting one every 3 weeks then in the Northwest.

I guess it's one thing if Ian wants to let groups dillute his event, but can't you come up with your own idea?

I have to go run my 1 mile "Marathon" now. Later. :p

#375606 - 16/09/01 05:53 PM Re: Hey Ian
Mike Holmes Offline

Loc: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
That would be a paraGOX. Buh-dumpuh. Thank you and goodnight.

#375607 - 16/09/01 06:50 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

look the event was announced quite awhile ago, sorry if you were not interested...

as for the name, it is not my fault no one took ian's offer... but i think an annual GOXWest for people who:

A. can not make the drive/take the time off for GOX

b. would like to do another event with people that did and did not make GOX

is nothing but a good thing...

sorry but It's not like i said hey Ian Fuck you im gonna call my event GOXWest... i asked if it was cool when SOMEONE ELSE broght it up...

As for anyone not driving more than 4 hours...

Lets do the math:

Phoenix=7hrs
Tucson=9hrs
El Paso=14hrs
Salt lake city=God only knows...

Sorry if you cant make it... Hopefully you will next year...

Look its this simple... If you dont like it dont attend... But If Ian Is ok with it then who the hell are all you to bitch... and if you have a problem with GOXWest why would a second National event be OK?

look some people just cant do a whole week and travel a couple thousand miles... thus the sense in a West&East spaced out as not to confilct with GOX(as "West" will next year.)

#375608 - 16/09/01 07:06 PM Re: Hey Ian
imacsae Offline

Before anyone comments about me driving 14 hours to wheel for a weekend let me get this out of the way. I AM OUT OF MY GOD DAMN MIND!!!

Actually I love to wheel with other xterras and on terrains that are not sand. No to mention the fact that the atendees that I have met are great people.

It should be a great time and hopefully next year the attendance will grow. I personally believe that meeting other xoc people only once a year is not nearly enough.

#375609 - 16/09/01 07:13 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

1. yes ivan you are nuts laugh

2. sorry but, much of Calico is sand laugh

3. yes the attendees I have met are all great people who are fun to hang with... and i love to meet new people as well

4. yes it will be a good time for those who attend

5. next year will be MUCH better... especially since im tossing around the idea for a different location... but I'll fill everyone in on that in Calico at GOXWest

#375610 - 16/09/01 07:18 PM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Look at Jeep Jamboree... there are 32 of them each year, all over the country.

When we had the first GOX, many people expressed concern over the location, or why it couldn't be moved every year. In response, I offered the GOX name to an East and West coast version, if people chose to use it. 3 events, spread over the year (plus a Nissan event in Moab in April) will give everyone in the country the chance to go somewhere, and meet a lot of Xterra owners, and have a good time.

Calico may be small this year, but it is an event that will grow over time, and something I would like to attend.

Anyone can make a Gathering of Xterras, since I can't "own" the name, my only concern was use of my GOX design and imagery, which are copyrighted.

I offered the logo to the Calico function in hopes that it becomes a regular yearly event.

#375611 - 16/09/01 07:31 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Thank you Ian.

I was caught a bit off gaurd, and you summed it up well.

so, um... does that mean your coming to Calico this year ?

#375612 - 16/09/01 07:35 PM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
Thank you Ian.

I was caught a bit off gaurd, and you summed it up well.

so, um... does that mean your coming to Calico this year ?

Honestly, I don't think anyone will confuse the 2 (or more if more are created).

10 seems like a small number of Xterras to some clubs, who routinely have 20 every weekend, but to others, it's a big turnout.

Sorry, but I won't be making it to Calico, no time or money.

#375613 - 16/09/01 09:28 PM Re: Hey Ian
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
Hey Todrick- don't take what was said wrong. My comments were in no way a personal attack on you or the trip you've got set up/ Looks like a lot of fun.
Hopefully next year it won't be so close to GOX-

My point was they don't have a "Sturgis West" or "Mardi Gras West" Kinda keeps the original with the certain cool factor that made everyone drive so far to get there.

Obviously it's a moot point, since it's a done deal with the naming, just wanted to let you know where I was coming from on that. I thought "Calico X Invasion", like you had it named sounded a little cooler too!
Like I said- Have an awesome trip and post some pictures when you're done!

#375614 - 16/09/01 10:22 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro:
and not to get all sentimental, but GOX is a special event in some peoples eyes. a yearly event where everyone from all over the coutry get together for an event. where people only see each other and hang out at that event. you get to finally meet someone that is only a faceless person on a message board. wheeling with them, drink with them, pay for shingles to be gotten and what not. why do you think some people drive thousands of miles to attend???? and sleep in rest stops and wal-mart parking lots in 50 degres temps after driving their second day of 16 hour drives trying to make it there for the beginning of the event?? if the event and the people didn't have something special to it, people wouldn't make that trek. so in my opinion, you calling your event as such takes away from the event that is GOX.

you can disagree with me all you like, that's fine. but don't question why i am allowed to voice my opinions to something that effects me and what i think and feel.

Ultimately GOX is Ian's event, no question, but there comes a time with some events where it can go beyond it's creator and mean more to it's participants than just a name. And if I feel you are detracting from the idea and name, there are bound to be other that feel the same. but that being said, I will be quiet and sink back into the shadows in my dark corner.

Please dont, Look I Understand the Impact of GOX... it is a great thing, i do regret i have been unable to attend(i will be there next year)

Look at it this way, so people cant make GOX(i haven't) but GOXWest is similar... People who would ordinarily never meet come together for a weekend of good time, good driving, and good fun... If people from eastern or Central US want to come thats great... but it is Called "West" because it is based on the west coast, GOX is GOX it is THE event that unites Xterra owners from all over north america...

whats wrong in allowing people who cant take a week or more out of their lives to feel some of the comradery of the Xterra Community

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal