Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394935 - 20/10/02 04:44 PM Calmini front bumper shipping
XtesseinXE02 Offline

Loc: Hamilton, NJ
I called the calmini sales department the other day and got a quote on shipping the front bumper for an '02 to New Jersey. The quote was $250.

Just so you know I'm not complaining or bitching I do understand cali is very far from NJ.

I just want to know if there are alternatives (other then driving 44 hours to California..lol) Maybe a slower type of shipping, Group Buy. Also someone in NJAX had mentioned possibly shipping it to a freight depot and picking it up. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but he offered it as a solution.

So if anyone has any suggestions...or if anyone has had this problem please reply to this message.

Thanks

#394936 - 20/10/02 05:17 PM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Hmm you would have to call Calmini for that. I paid about the same to Illinois so it doesn't sound too bad. I do not know if they offer any other type of shipping.

#394937 - 20/10/02 06:47 PM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
that sounds kinda steep, i had my ARB shipped from 4wheel parts in CA for about $75. $250 is alittle outrageous. in that case save you some money and just buy a ARB or TJM and cut the necessary notches.

#394938 - 20/10/02 07:12 PM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
tried the group buy thing. I think we were quoted 150 or so EACH. It got delivered then I got billed an extra bunch, sorta pissed me off, being as I had them stuck on a pallet, and the delivery guys unpacked them to deliver them, and they got scratched up in the process. Not what I would consider a great shipping transaction.

#394939 - 20/10/02 08:34 PM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
ShipRekd1 Offline

that price sounds about right. a few years ago i had a Dana 44 shipped from CA to NJ for just over $200

Jason

#394940 - 21/10/02 01:50 AM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ag_xterra:
that sounds kinda steep, i had my ARB shipped from 4wheel parts in CA for about $75. $250 is alittle outrageous. in that case save you some money and just buy a ARB or TJM and cut the necessary notches.
4wp usually offers free shipping. Are you sure there wasn't a discount included in your shipping.

#394941 - 21/10/02 03:04 AM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
My ARB was $1.00 a pound to ship from Washington to Colorado via truck freight, about $90 total. I picked it up at a depot in Denver.

#394942 - 21/10/02 06:46 AM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
rfritz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
I also felt like it was too much - but after a little investigation, I found out that it is about the best rate for shipping an item of that size and weight. I think they have it attached to a wooden pallet plus shrink wrapped. ($230 to Indiana directly from Calmini). A friend of mine had a car door sent from Ranch Cordova California to Indianapolis and it was $200 +/-.

#394943 - 21/10/02 09:54 AM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
You can't compare ARB shipping to the Calmini bumper unless you take into account the total weight of both bumpers and/or the totale chargeable weight which is based on the volume of the bumper. Shipping also goes by the amount of space an item takes up in transit. From there, a classification is used that is set by the National Motor Freight Association which is based onthe density, fragility, handling and sotrage needs of the package. This classification uses that information to form a basis for competitive pricing amongst carriers. Also, freight companies charge you extra to deliver to residences which have no loading docks. These are all standard industry practices.

Places like 4wheel parts ship IN BULK with these carriers which entitles them to large discounts on shipping with them, something that Calmini more than likely cannot counter with. It is not unheard of for shipping companies to arrange for discounts of over 40% to companies who ship in quantity daily.

As far as a slower method, there is none. You are dealing with LTL carriers which means Less-than Truck Load freight. A carrier sends a truck out and picks up here and there. Freight is bought back to a terminal where it is consolidated onto trailers with other freight bound for the same area (a carrier simply cant justify sending just one bumper on a trailer by itself to your house). The freight is then sent to another terminal near where you live where it is loaded onto a delivery truck which takes it to where you requested delivery.

You can look for another carrier, but you will need to find a national carrier that serves both coasts. Smaller companies can do it, but you will get stuck interlining your bumper. Interlining is when LTL carriers use other carriers to get freight from one point to another. And as with anything, with interlining, the more people that handle the freight, the higher the risk of something going wrong with it.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#394944 - 21/10/02 05:24 PM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
Paul H Offline

Quote:
I think they have it attached to a wooden pallet plus shrink wrapped
Yep here is how mine arrived.

#394945 - 23/10/02 03:23 PM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
rjm022 Offline

Loc: york
well put dano! how long you been in the business??

#394946 - 23/10/02 07:58 PM Re: Calmini front bumper shipping
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Three years now working for Fedex.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal