Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394442 - 28/06/05 07:22 PM Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

So everyone says Shrock has the best angle. My question is, is the 00-01 better than the 02-04? And then add to the question the 2" body lift option.

Has anyone asked Calmini if they will custom make one to fit a 2" body lift?

#394443 - 28/06/05 08:01 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Frame horns are the same on all models. You won't lose any approach with the Shrock bumper, but it's not exactly optimal with those long frame ends.

Still, it's much better than the OEM plastic junk.

#394444 - 29/06/05 06:17 AM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

i called CALMINI and asked them about making 2" B/L products and they said that they never tested anyhtign like that and have no intention of it....so looks liek you are SOL...i wanted to buy their sliders for the longest time too...oh well...im glad i got Shrocks instead now.

#394445 - 29/06/05 08:22 AM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by cobain913:
i called CALMINI and asked them about making 2" B/L products and they said that they never tested anyhtign like that and have no intention of it....
So is there more to this story that you didn't tell us? Is there a severe liability issue with BL and extra torque forces that makes BL modified bumpers more susceptible to damage???

Please explain the answer they may have given you a little more. Its funny how people jump to conclusions and don't fully explain the situation.

While I am partial to Calmini and their engineering, I hope that we are truely comparing apples to apples. There is always a very good reason as to why they do what they do. They have been doing this for a very long time.

#394446 - 29/06/05 09:41 AM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok here is basically how the conversation went...

Me: hi I was inquiring about your rock sliders for my 2000 Nissan Xterra...

CALMINI Rep: Yes...

Me: is it possible to fab them to fit an Xterra with a 3" or even 2" body lift?

CALMINI: We don't have anyhting set up for a body lift and it would need to be tested before we could even put it out on the market. We don't have a vehicle to test it on and there is not enough support for us to start mass producing it.

Me: so what you are saying is that I can't give you extra money to jsut make those sliders 2" higher than normal???

CALMINI: Yep...sorry

#394447 - 29/06/05 01:51 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Yeah - Shrock tested his...and makes 2" BL versions as an option for the sliders...and, for the new bumpers too.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#394448 - 29/06/05 06:07 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does the 02-04 bumper stick out further than the 00-01 version?

If I get one it will be without the tubing.

#394449 - 29/06/05 06:12 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I don't believe the the '02+'s bumpers stick out more...the top hoop is taller to match the taller hood line though....1 3/4" I believe...not sure about the deck height.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#394450 - 07/07/05 07:49 AM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Our body lift bumper does require drilling four holes in the frame to use it with a winch. The added height means more stress on the bolts and frame. This gives you six bolts holding it on.

The 2in BL sliders are a no-brainer. They install and work the same.

Quote:
Does the 02-04 bumper stick out further than the 00-01 version?
No, it's the same. Since the winch is fully enclosed the bumper, and the tube attaches only at the front edge of the bumper, we dont need the bumper to stick out far enough to let the winch sit in front of the grill or to clear the back side of the uprights. That is a piece of 2" tube past the grill in the pic. You can see how little it sticks out past the grill.

>>Approach angle?

Pure/True Approach angle is illustrated in this pic. As you can see, how far the bumper sticks out is the limiting factor. (The angle of the line is off a bit in this pic bec you cant see where the tires actually hit the pavement, but you get the idea.)

Aside from this textbook definition of approach angle, there are other factors that matter in the reality of wheeling as much or probably more. The textbook definition of approach angle assumes you are driving up a flat ramp the full width of you vehicle. What we tend to see more of is uneven obstacles. If you need to get over a 24 in. tall boulder, you point a tire at it, not the center of the vehicle, so clearance in front of the tires is very important. Red arrow in pic below:

I believe our bumper is a little thinner out on the ends toward the tires than the other ones. Disclaimer, I've never actually measured the other ones, but it looks that way in pics to me.

Some bumpers actually hang below the frame horns. This is more of a front ground clearance than a approach angle thing, but every little bit helps.

#394451 - 07/07/05 02:59 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jim how far out are bumpers right now? Meaning if i were to order one today, approximately what kind of back log do you have?

#394452 - 07/07/05 03:53 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is your bumper compatable with the Skid Row skid plates?

And how much is a 2" BL bumper with and without the tubing?

#394453 - 07/07/05 09:10 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Shrock Offline

Normal turn around time is 2 weeks bare and three weeks powder coated on a bumper. If you need it quicker call, we might be able to do it.

Quote:
Is your bumper compatable with the Skid Row skid plates?
Yes

Quote:
And how much is a 2" BL bumper with and without the tubing?
$630 w/o and $670 with (in Black Powder Coat).

#394454 - 09/07/05 06:39 AM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

How would a winch like this fit?

Does anyone have pictures of an installed winch?

Will this one fit?

I saw the 1st one at a 4x4 shop and they were saying it is the same if not better than the Warn equivalent XD9000. They are less expensive because they are new to the US market, but proven in Australia. The extra 3-500 Warn charges goes towards sponsorhip and advertising.

#394455 - 11/07/05 12:21 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Shrock Offline

Judging from the dimensions on their www site, it looks like it would fit fine.

#394456 - 11/07/05 12:53 PM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Jim, on your sliders.... do ya'll put the rough or smooth power finish on?

#394457 - 12/07/05 04:25 AM Re: Shrock approach angle.and other questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey just to let you know i have the t-max winch and it is amazing a few weeks ago i pulled a
v-10 dodge ram 2500 out and he was pretty barried so that winch is well worth the money and in my opinion the warn isnt other than the name i had brackets made for my calmini bumper to fite you can see pictures of the bumper moved up i can get pics of the brackets if needed it doesnt look very hard to do it your self or have a shop do it

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal