Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#396110 - 13/07/02 08:27 PM calmini torsion bars snapped
B Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA
question - I just installed the calmini 3" kit and not 10 minutes after I got home, the driver side torsion bar snapped. It didnt take long for the passenger side to do the same. Anyone have any insight as to what possible went wrong?

#396111 - 13/07/02 08:33 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
MOLTAR Offline

Loc: richmond, va
as i stated in my email to B- the only thing i can think of is that the t-bars that were shipped were a set of the t-bars that CALMINI wasn't supposed to ship due to the failed hardness test: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000348

i've had mine on for a few weeks now, and i've had no problems with any of the lift components. i've been off-road twice, and stressed the suspension quite a bit in that time. nothing has loosened or broken (knocking on wood with one hand while typing with the other laugh )

#396112 - 13/07/02 08:40 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
B Offline

Ah I will call Calmini on Monday and see what they say. Thanks Sean!

#396113 - 13/07/02 08:45 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by B:
question - I just installed the calmini 3" kit and not 10 minutes after I got home, the driver side torsion bar snapped. It didnt take long for the passenger side to do the same. Anyone have any insight as to what possible went wrong?
Snapped as broken into pieces? Or, snapped as popped out of sockets? confused ....Just curious to know exactly what happened.. [Uh Oh !]

#396114 - 13/07/02 11:20 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
According to Calmini it was their own testing that found the problem, but maybe they tested them after someone broke one? In any case, that's why I'm still waiting for mine. I almost changed my order through xterraparts to the Sway-Aways but decided to stick with the Calmini bars. Hope the new ones pass the test! I'm very tempted to change my order if they haven't shipped yet, but I'll probably talk to Calmini first.

In related news, I went ahead and reindexed my stock bars today so I could lift the front more. I also installed the Calmini shackles. My truck is tall now! laugh

#396115 - 14/07/02 04:13 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
B Offline

Broke in 2 pieces. Near the rear socket. They both broke in nearly the same place. But, I theorize that the second one broke because the first one was not there sharing the load. Of course that could be way off since I really dont know all of the physics involved.

Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL:
Quote:
Originally posted by B:
[b]question - I just installed the calmini 3" kit and not 10 minutes after I got home, the driver side torsion bar snapped. It didnt take long for the passenger side to do the same. Anyone have any insight as to what possible went wrong?
Snapped as broken into pieces? Or, snapped as popped out of sockets? confused ....Just curious to know exactly what happened.. [Uh Oh !] [/b]

#396116 - 14/07/02 07:51 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
That sucks..

It will be interesting to see if the bars that snapped are the new ones or the old ones (Sway-Away)

My guess is that a set of bars slipped through that were not tested.

edit.. Do you have any pictures or the breaks?

#396117 - 14/07/02 12:34 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
One going shouldn't cause any more stress on the other as far as I know.

I've seen one Sway-A-Way bar go, but that was after a hard hit to the suspension:

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#396118 - 14/07/02 12:41 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:

I've seen one Sway-A-Way bar go, but that was after a hard hit to the suspension:

Brent
MVM blew a Sway-Away at Nissan Net.. I was about 100 yards away when it blew and I could still hear it.

#396119 - 14/07/02 06:35 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
PismoTaco Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Quote:
Brent
Wrong.
-Chris

#396120 - 14/07/02 06:58 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by PismoTaco:
Wrong.
OK, how so? The suspension drops onto the bump stop and remains supported. What additional stress does this put on the opposite side torsion bar?

Carlton, that's MVM's truck in my pic, I was there too ya know...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#396121 - 14/07/02 09:49 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
PismoTaco Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Wrong.
OK, how so? The suspension drops onto the bump stop and remains supported. What additional stress does this put on the opposite side torsion bar?
Brent[/b]
Let's say the drivers side snaps.

Before failure at equilibrium each side is supporting rougly 1000 lbf unsprung weight. Let's say the torsion bars are roughly 200 lbf-ft/° spring rate and the a-arm is roughly 1' long. Figuring that you you have roughly 1000 ft-lbf of torque on the torsion bar, this equates to about 5° of rotation between the 2 torsion bar sockets. This 5° equates to about 100 ksi of max shear stress.

Now, when the first one snaps it's like a domino effect. The truck dumps onto it's drivers side bumpstop. The passenger side as well drops as it has to come back into equilibruim and carry some of the unsprung weight of the drivers side becasue the passerside torsion is still trying to keep the truck up at ride height. The difference is the unspring weight in the differnt angles of the torsion bar. Where the passenger side was once 5° it's now 7.5°. Now this translates into a force of about 150 ksi, which is 1.5x what it saw before the drivers side broke.

The numbers have been made up to illistrate the concept, but it goes to show that if you have 2 faulty torsion bars that once one fails the other will fail shortly thereafter.

~rate me~ wink

Perhaps you'd like to higher me as a expert consultant.
-Chris BSME

#396122 - 14/07/02 10:34 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
ned946 Offline

Is there a right and left on the Calmini bars? The sway aways I mounted needed to be mounted in proper orientation. confused

#396123 - 14/07/02 10:47 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
I'm sure Calmini will be replying to this on Monday. I'm not a stress expert, but if one fails, wouldn't it release tension on the other side as the failure side would droop, and the other would rise releaving tension on the good bar?

#396124 - 15/07/02 08:00 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
Rick_G Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Oh the humanity. Did you just say max sheer stress? Sent a cold chill down my spine.

Rick
BSME

(I still have heat transfer nightmares)

Quote:
Let's say the drivers side snaps.

Before failure at equilibrium each side is supporting rougly 1000 lbf unsprung weight. Let's say the torsion bars are roughly 200 lbf-ft/° spring rate and the a-arm is roughly 1' long. Figuring that you you have roughly 1000 ft-lbf of torque on the torsion bar, this equates to about 5° of rotation between the 2 torsion bar sockets. This 5° equates to about 100 ksi of max shear stress.

Now, when the first one snaps it's like a domino effect. The truck dumps onto it's drivers side bumpstop. The passenger side as well drops as it has to come back into equilibruim and carry some of the unsprung weight of the drivers side becasue the passerside torsion is still trying to keep the truck up at ride height. The difference is the unspring weight in the differnt angles of the torsion bar. Where the passenger side was once 5° it's now 7.5°. Now this translates into a force of about 150 ksi, which is 1.5x what it saw before the drivers side broke.

The numbers have been made up to illistrate the concept, but it goes to show that if you have 2 faulty torsion bars that once one fails the other will fail shortly thereafter.

~rate me~ wink

-Chris BSME

#396125 - 15/07/02 08:25 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
B Offline

Hey all, I just talked to Calmini. They were waiting my call and totally hooked me up!!! They are going to 2 day new T - Bars. Talk about making good on a bad situation!!! Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by B:

#396126 - 15/07/02 10:39 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Not being an ass, but were they installed the proper way. Putting them on the wrong sides, or in backwards could break them.

#396127 - 15/07/02 10:44 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
B Offline

From what I have read almost everywhere (and since Saturday, i have done some research on this) they do not become side specific until after they are intalled the first time. This is what the instructions said that came with lift as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
Not being an ass, but were they installed the proper way. Putting them on the wrong sides, or in backwards could break them.

#396128 - 15/07/02 10:56 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
MOLTAR Offline

Loc: richmond, va
as well, the CALMINIs are symmetrical front-to-back, so there is no "wrong" way to install them...

#396129 - 15/07/02 11:53 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
They are all symetrical front and back. The SAW bars have to be installed a certain way I know for sure.

#396130 - 15/07/02 12:06 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
PismoTaco Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_G:
Oh the humanity. Did you just say max sheer stress? Sent a cold chill down my spine.
Rick
BSME
(I still have heat transfer nightmares)
smile
-Chris

#396131 - 16/07/02 09:35 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Quote:

-Chris BSME
Lets see your Mohr's circle. laugh

Just another annoying geek online,
ALAN
(bsme, like you care)

#396132 - 16/07/02 10:01 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Ha... You bunch a sucka's!
BEME! No BS for me!

-Too bad the Marine Corps doesn't have a way for me to use my degree. Now I'm a computer geek of all things (sort of).

Sorry, couldn't resist, and no I don't expect that to grant me credibility here.

#396133 - 16/07/02 11:39 AM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
Bobby_X Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sean yeager:
as well, the CALMINIs are symmetrical front-to-back, so there is no "wrong" way to install them...
You wanna bet? I can install anything incorrectly smile

frown hehe smile only kidding..

#396134 - 16/07/02 12:03 PM Re: calmini torsion bars snapped
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by CheetaraX:
Quote:

-Chris BSME
Lets see your Mohr's circle. laugh

Just another annoying geek online,
ALAN
(bsme, like you care)
I once had a MOHR's Circle program on my Ti-89 calculator. that helped me thru my materials and soils classes. Now that I am working....how many times I have used MOHR..............big fat zero!!

-KJ (not BSME, BSCE!!!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal