2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394823 - 08/10/02 12:57 PM Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Spencer Low Racing Offline

Loc: Parker

More photos here

SLR was at the Off Road Expo in Pomona, CA last weekend to debut our new Stage 5 Suspension Lift.

The Stage 5 Suspension Lift adds 2.5” of additional track width over stock to each side of the vehicle. Stage 5 will include:
  • Bolt-in spherical extensions
  • Core spindles
  • Stage 5 steering system
  • 4WD system
  • 4WD ball joint option for increased steering radius and extreme climate protection
  • 4130 box-design upper control arms
  • 4130 box-design lower control arms with 2.5" additional track width
  • Stage 5 shock hoop
  • New 7075 tie rods
  • Optional sway bar
  • Optional 4130 heat-treated billet torsion bar anchors
  • Optional 4130 heat-treated torsion bar adjusters
  • Bilstein 2.5" body shock with 10" travel & custom valving

Rough pricing will be between $2,000-$6,000. We are machining the 4WD system, and testing is complete with flawless results.
The Stage 5 steering system will be using the same idler and pitman arms as our original steering system along with a new center relay rod.

This suspension lift will provide 12” of wheel travel with perfect camber curve and 0 bump steer. Stage 5 will be the most refined and technologically advanced kit on the market.

Your vehicle will have added stability with the additional track width provided by the Stage 5 Suspension lift. The kit retains all stock pivot points.

We will also have Stage 5 4WD on display at this year’s SEMA show and at many other selected Nissan events.

SLR’s Stage 5 will be defining performance on & off road. This suspension lift is SLR’s high and low speed masterpiece.

Please contact SLR at 928-667-4757 or info@spencerlowracing.com if you have any questions.

>>>SLR

#394824 - 08/10/02 04:57 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Wow, that looks amazing.

Do you have an ETA for when the kit will be out?

Thanks,
Brad

#394825 - 08/10/02 05:35 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
MMMMMMMMmmmmHoly Crap!
Damn I wish I was still making the easy money at Boeing!!!

-Rick

#394826 - 08/10/02 05:39 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Amazing is an understatement! That setup is just beyond belief (and my wallet!).

WOW!!!

#394827 - 08/10/02 07:05 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
It definitely looks great and is probably the best you can have for an ifs system. Then again for that kind of money you could just do an SAS and get much much better performance.

#394828 - 08/10/02 07:49 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
tlcafj60 Offline

Loc: Framingham, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
It definitely looks great and is probably the best you can have for an ifs system. Then again for that kind of money you could just do an SAS and get much much better performance.
Exactly. Why doesnt someone invest all that time into designing a SAS too? Im sure they would make back their R&D budget on just the people here!

#394829 - 08/10/02 08:10 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
From the pictures you are showing a 2wd vehicle. Any pics installed on a 4wd?? How do you compensate for the binding of the CV's with that much droop? I have heard of people binding with the limited travel on the current lift kits. Does the 4k variance in the estimated price include the new half shafts that you would need to compensate for the increased wheel track? Or does that what "* 4WD system" mean?

On a side note. I agree with the others that for the price 2k-6k that your money would be better spent on a SAS. Less complex and more bang for you buck.

Perhaps that should be your next project.

#394830 - 08/10/02 08:27 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Strom Offline

You guys chime in if you think I'm wrong, but isn't this more for desert racing or "prerunning" than it is for "rock-crawling"?

#394831 - 08/10/02 09:30 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
The X Factor Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
You would be correct Strom. Remember that is what SLR main cup of coffee is and that is what this kit was built for.

#394832 - 09/10/02 05:39 AM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
What are you using for turning rotation in the upper a-arm? I was just curious since the ball joint looks to be gone? And since it has no boot, i'd be a bit worried about contaminating that area and ruining the upper a-arm. Is it rebuildable? Thanks for making new projects for the X. Like Carlton, I would especially like to see one on a 4wd?
John

#394833 - 09/10/02 10:12 AM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by The X Factor:
You would be correct Strom. Remember that is what SLR main cup of coffee is and that is what this kit was built for.
I'm a bit confused. Regardless what you are using your X for aren't you going to benefit by having stronger, beefier, steering components?

Most of you guys that are wanting your X to perform as a "crawler"/trail rig are using a basic upper a-arm lift with beefier torsion bars and hitting the trails.

Now comes along a complete detailed lift kit and you pigeonhole it as a desert running package. EVERYONE who has any desire to off-road their truck can benefit by this. Weather you call it "travel" as the desert crowd does or "articulation" as the trail and rock crowd refers to it, there's more of it. And that benefits everyone.

I would really like someone to explain to me how adding gobs of travel (or articulation) and making bulletproof steering is not going to benefit those of you who wish to push the limits in your X's?

Yes, for you aspiring "crawlers" a SAS might be a better solution. Once people start doing it , there will be more information available. Yes, absolutley, this stuff is expensive. But for now, this package is the most complete one available for us.

On another note. The Off-Road Expo in Pomona is one of the largest shows of its kind here in the west. Almost every manufacturer who makes products for the billion dollar aftermarket off-road industry was represented. Raingler (SP) actually displaying an X with the assortment of available cargo options was very enthusiastic and it was outstanding to see an X displayed. The people I met in the booth seemed to be very excited about the reception and sales potential.

Other than that , out of the hundreds of aftermarket companies there showing off their new products with anything highlighting Nissan was SLR. To me, that says a whole lot about their commitment to our community. Yes, it was a Frontier in their display, but on all of their brochures and other matterials the X was highlighted as well.

It not only takes an investment of money to participate in these shows, but it also takes a commitment of time to trailer a truck out here and set up a display and spend your weekend talking shop with all who come to your booth. And in a marketplace that doesn't give much priority to Nissans, it is nice to see an aftermarket manufacturer give that kind of commitment.

#394834 - 09/10/02 10:28 AM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
It's great to see SLR working to develop stuff for the Nissan community.
I have no idea what sort of market base they operate from or expect to operate from, but I agree that for this much coin I'd be looking at a solid axle setup for the sort of terrain I would like to tackle. What are the chances that SLR would develop and market a solid axle kit for the Xterra? I'd say it's a safe bet they'd sell more SAS kits than stage 5 kits, at least among the folks at the XOC, AF, NOR, N4W, and other Nissan/Xterra boards I know of.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#394835 - 09/10/02 10:33 AM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
tlcafj60 Offline

Loc: Framingham, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
It's great to see SLR working to develop stuff for the Nissan community....but I agree that for this much coin I'd be looking at a solid axle setup for the sort of terrain I would like to tackle...I'd say it's a safe bet they'd sell more SAS kits than stage 5 kits, at least among the folks at the XOC, AF, NOR, N4W, and other Nissan/Xterra boards I know of.

Brent
Damn skippy! It would also make me rethink about selling my X. Sure would be nice to see a D44 riding up front.

#394836 - 09/10/02 10:36 AM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Strom Offline

Quote:
I'm a bit confused. Regardless what you are using your X for aren't you going to benefit by having stronger, beefier, steering components?

It not only takes an investment of money to participate in these shows, but it also takes a commitment of time to trailer a truck out here and set up a display and spend your weekend talking shop with all who come to your booth. And in a marketplace that doesn't give much priority to Nissans, it is nice to see an aftermarket manufacturer give that kind of commitment.
I agree with you, Patrick. This looks like a great setup for any off-roading, but I am sure that many would "prefer" an SAS setup for what they do because it's more conventional.

I am also excited to see parts like this coming out for the Xterra. SLR has been doing some great things for the Xterra community as well as the Nissan community in general. Now to start saving. eek

By the way, I got rid of the ugly bumper - thinking about getting something custom made. Have you decided on whether you're going to get another vehicle (in addition to the X)?

#394837 - 09/10/02 12:10 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift

Strom:

"Do you have an ETA for when the kit will be out?"

We are manufacturing 2WD & 4WD Stage 5 as we write.

Pricing and production run should be available in late November.

rrdstarr & ChuckH:

Thanks for the feedback!

imacsae:

"It definitely looks great and is probably the best you can have for an ifs system. Then again for that kind of money you could just do an SAS and get much much better performance."

It really puzzles me on the fact that you guys are so for the SAS. I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to cut all stock pivot points off a vehicle and have someone weld in a SAS.

We need to understand suspension travel is wheel travel.

Additional track width is more stability and 12” of IFS wheel travel with 4WD should be enough to tackle 4+ trails.

Also the on road handling characteristics on an IFS is unmatched.

Don’t get me wrong, SAS would make for an incredible rock crawler. But how many shops are capabable of cutting your $25,000-$30,000 SUV and welding on a SAS?

In my experience, not many can.

We are working on a SAS which will also take the Nissan market to the next level.

We will also have many items with our SAS that will the SLR SAS relatively installer-friendly.

tlcafj60:

"Exactly. Why doesnt someone invest all that time into designing a SAS too? Im sure they would make back their R&D budget on just the people here!"

ETA 3-6 months for SAS.

Carlton:

"From the pictures you are showing a 2wd vehicle. Any pics installed on a 4wd?? How do you compensate for the binding of the CV's with that much droop? I have heard of people binding with the limited travel on the current lift kits. Does the 4k variance in the estimated price include the new half shafts that you would need to compensate for the increased wheel track? Or does that what "* 4WD system" mean?"

Please read my initial post. I already answered your questions. [Wave]

Strom:

"You guys chime in if you think I'm wrong, but isn't this more for desert racing or "prerunning" than it is for "rock-crawling"?"

Again, wheel travel is wheel travel.

Stage 5 4WD will provide 12” of IFS wheel travel at high and low speeds both on and off road.

The only difference in prerunning/rock crawling will be shock valving.

We will have a bypass shock that has external adjustments and we will also have many different valving options for all of SLR’s customers.

The X Factor:

"You would be correct Strom. Remember that is what SLR main cup of coffee is and that is what this kit was built for."

Easy Kevin, the SLR Stage 5 kit is a performance/ride-enhancing masterpiece. This kit was designed to have perfect geometry. How you choose to use your 12” of IFS wheel travel with 3° of camber change and 0 bump steer is your own “cup of coffee”.

UTJMAC:

"What are you using for turning rotation in the upper a-arm? I was just curious since the ball joint looks to be gone? And since it has no boot, i'd be a bit worried about contaminating that area and ruining the upper a-arm. Is it rebuildable? Thanks for making new projects for the X. Like Carlton, I would especially like to see one on a 4wd?"

We will offer 3 different upper control arm configurations – 1” spherical, 1 1/2” spherical and ball joint. The production run kit will have a rubber seal that will prolong the life of the spherical.

Just like our steering system, the spherical can be pressed in & out for maintenance. $38-$50 at most bearing houses for a 1” spherical bearing. We will have replacement parts available when Stage 5 is released.

The ball joint option will be a must for increased steering radius and for vehicles that are exposed to extreme climates.

socalpunX:

Nicely said. It was great meeting you.

You forgot to mention that Calmini was there with full traction. It was great to see the full traction engineer crawling all over Stage 5 *LOL*

In regard of the 4WD system, I will post photos around SEMA show. We should be production ready at that time. And I am sure I will have more engineers crawling all over our 4WD system at SEMA (do not need photos floating around the net).

tlcafj60:

"Damn skippy! It would also make me rethink about selling my X. Sure would be nice to see a D44 riding up front."

We will not be using a Dana 44. I will try to answer more questions around 3-4pm Mountain time. Please give SLR a call if you have any questions at 928-667-4757.

>>>SLR

#394838 - 09/10/02 01:04 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Low Racing:
In my experience, not many can.

We are working on a SAS which will also take the Nissan market to the next level.

We will also have many items with our SAS that will the SLR SAS relatively installer-friendly.

ETA 3-6 months for SAS.

UTJMAC:

"What are you using for turning rotation in the upper a-arm? I was just curious since the ball joint looks to be gone? And since it has no boot, i'd be a bit worried about contaminating that area and ruining the upper a-arm. Is it rebuildable? Thanks for making new projects for the X. Like Carlton, I would especially like to see one on a 4wd?"

We will offer 3 different upper control arm configurations – 1” spherical, 1 1/2” spherical and ball joint. The production run kit will have a rubber seal that will prolong the life of the spherical.

Just like our steering system, the spherical can be pressed in & out for maintenance. $38-$50 at most bearing houses for a 1” spherical bearing. We will have replacement parts available when Stage 5 is released.

The ball joint option will be a must for increased steering radius and for vehicles that are exposed to extreme climates.
Thanks for answering the questions. I am drooling at this system, as well as the SAS option you are working on. Keep up the good work.
John

#394839 - 09/10/02 01:06 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
how many shops are capabable of cutting your $25,000-$30,000 SUV and welding on a SAS?
But how many people are going to actually buy a $4K+ IFS lift?

A full 12" of travel is incredible though. [Smoking]

#394840 - 09/10/02 02:39 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
These are some great innovations. Not only that, but I am glad to see a SAS in the works.

#394841 - 09/10/02 03:07 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
These are some great innovations. Not only that, but I am glad to see a SAS in the works.
Me too. What axle are you thinking about then Spencer? Will it be a kit where we provide the axle or are you going to be selling one with it.

#394842 - 09/10/02 03:21 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spencer

The Stage 5 IFS looks beautiful and it's great to see it offered to the Nissan community. Like many others I am much more interested in an SAS, it has been something that has been on my mind since I purchased my Xterra. I couldn't be happier to know that you are working on an SAS specifcally for the Xterra/Frontier.

Will the SAS include a new rear axle also or will the H233B still be used?

Will it be coil or leaf? Or better yet, the choice of either?

I know it's really early to ask this but, do you have an estimated price for the SAS kit?

It also please me to hear you say that you are designing it to be easily installed. Installation is something that has been on my mind also, as you mentioned finding a shop that is capable of performing the required modification will be a chore in it's own.

#394843 - 09/10/02 04:09 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift

UTJMAC:

Thanks for your interest.

Philosopher:

"But how many people are going to actually buy a $4K+ IFS lift?

A full 12" of travel is incredible though."

Please go price check some high end Chevy/Ford IFS kits with all the extras and improper geometry/OEM weak steering and post the prices here please.

Credit cards are a beautiful thing. 12" of IFS travel on a daily driver with properly valved shocks is unmatched.

wqbang:

Thanks for the feeback. Many more inovations to come...

2001 Frontier:

SLR SAS will take a straight axle suspension to the next level in design and fabrication. I will not give many details on this kit but I can say that most components will be hand crafted.

Goliath The X:

Thanks for the feedback.

There will be many different options with our SAS. Details in months to come. Please take note of the extensive development that will be unveiled in a SAS.

If you have any questions, please call SLR at 928-667-4757.

>>>SLR

#394844 - 09/10/02 08:01 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Wonderful looking kit!!!!!

It is very good to see a company working so hard to make our Nissans reputable trail rigs.

I have been nothing but thrilled with my SLR steering system. The system has been thoroughly marveled at by various 4x4 folks as well. The owner/operator of my local shop, someone who raced for Rancho across Morocco, as well as other locales, and is currently a tester for BFGoodrich, was wowed by the engineering that went into it. And if you were to see this gentleman's trail rig Bronco, you would understand why I hold his amazement in honor.

So...please keep up the great work. It serves the Nissan offroad community well. Only by innovation such as this does betterment come.

PS: Where are some SLR decals for my rig. I got my brass bushings just fine, but I want some decals!!!!!! smile

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#394845 - 09/10/02 08:35 PM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
Strom Offline

Quote:
[b]Strom:

"You guys chime in if you think I'm wrong, but isn't this more for desert racing or "prerunning" than it is for "rock-crawling"?"

Again, wheel travel is wheel travel.

Stage 5 4WD will provide 12” of IFS wheel travel at high and low speeds both on and off road.

The only difference in prerunning/rock crawling will be shock valving.

We will have a bypass shock that has external adjustments and we will also have many different valving options for all of SLR’s customers.
[/b]
Please don't misunderstand me. I think this is a great setup, and I plan on buying one. There are those, though, who will scorn it in favor of an SAS. Sounds like you have that covered, though!

#394846 - 10/10/02 12:31 AM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
robloy11 Offline

Loc: Knoxville
Dear SLR. I love your products and i love what you are doing with the ifs. But you can't compair your prices to the chevrolete prices. I have a chev. and it is much cheaper to do a sas or a full ifs lift that will allow the same travel and as strong stearing components than you are suggesting. I love what you are doing for nissan and i hope you continue but I don't think you can beat the prices for the chev market. They already have a bolt on SAS for the 2002 tahoe which my brother has and it is cheaper than your suggested 3-6,000$ price.
Please don't take this as an attack on your company because i love what you do for the xterra but you can't compete with the ford/chev prices.

#394847 - 10/10/02 07:22 AM Re: Spencer Low Racing Stage 5 Suspension Lift
SalsaX Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo, Ca,
Quote:
[b]UTJMAC:

Please go price check some high end Chevy/Ford IFS kits with all the extras and improper geometry/OEM weak steering and post the prices here please.
[/b]
Prices and links below are taken from http://www.4wheelparts.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal