2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394060 - 04/03/04 02:46 PM Drop In replacement LSD
Anonymous
Unregistered

this thread has been going on in other places but I'll ask here, why dosn't anybody (other than ARB at $1000) make a drop in Limited slip for the REAR diff 33spline Xterra/frontier?

#394061 - 04/03/04 03:01 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Because there isn't a market for it yet. Dana and Toyota axles, that get driven off-road, far outnumber Nissan axles.

#394062 - 04/03/04 04:08 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
There is the factory LSD as well. Some people have experimented with modifying it to produce a tighter lockup.

#394063 - 04/03/04 04:09 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Aero Steve Offline

Forgot to add: I have one in the garage I'll part with for a couple hundred bucks.

#394064 - 04/03/04 04:23 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
There's no such thing as a "drop-in" LSD, any LSD will require the ring gear to be swapped from your open or factory LSD carrier to the new LSD carrier, which will require the gear mesh to be re-set by a pro or at least with more precision than most of us are capable of, which pretty much qualifies any such project as more than a drop-in.

For the rear diff, the cost and hassle of purchasing an aftermarket LSD (if it existed) and getting it installed would not be worth it, go ahead and cough the extra dough for a locker. An LSD in the front is a bit more cost-effective, a front locker is more than most would need.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#394065 - 04/03/04 10:46 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Anonymous
Unregistered

or you can just buy a used 3rd member from a wrecked x and bolt it right in ass. the ring and pinion will already be set, and they go for cheap,,,like 300 or so.

#394066 - 05/03/04 03:51 AM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
or you can just buy a used 3rd member from a wrecked x and bolt it right in ass. the ring and pinion will already be set, and they go for cheap,,,like 300 or so.
Go away Troll!

The X already has a limited slip!

-Rick

#394067 - 05/03/04 04:01 AM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
Go away Troll!

The X already has a limited slip![/QB]
Lighten up Francis!! Not all of them do. XE without the sport package have no LSD. They are easy to spot. Stock they have no foglights either.

#394068 - 05/03/04 04:27 AM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
Go away Troll!

The X already has a limited slip!
Lighten up Francis!! Not all of them do. XE without the sport package have no LSD. They are easy to spot. Stock they have no foglights either.[/QB]
"Any of you homos call me Francis and I'll kill'ya!"

Sorry, Steve but I looked at Jrbbikerx posts and none of them make sense??? [Smoking] :rolleyes:

-Rick

#394069 - 05/03/04 04:42 AM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Aero Steve Offline

Cool, I hadn't looked up any of his other posts. The one you quoted made sense to me and should actually work.

#394070 - 08/03/04 01:01 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, I don't think I have an LSD. I've been stuck in mud, but perhaps I had NO traction so an LSD wouldn't have mattered. How might one find out?

#394071 - 08/03/04 03:28 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Anonymous
Unregistered

look for a little red / orange tag saying somthing along the lines of "lsd oil only" on the rear cover on the rear diff..

#394072 - 08/03/04 03:41 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
look for a little red / orange tag saying somthing along the lines of "lsd oil only" on the rear cover on the rear diff..
Gee, my little LSD oil only sticker came off a long time ago. How do they expect a paper sticker to stay on when it gets wet?

#394073 - 08/03/04 06:39 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Anyone "lincoln locked"(welded the spider gears) theirs at all? Just curious.

#394074 - 08/03/04 07:29 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't tried welding/spooling an X, but my current truck is spooled and I've driven a welded bronco. I imagine a welded X would act alot like the welded bronco. It didn't do anything funny except the tires barked while pulling parking lot maneuvers. BIG downside is that it and my truck eat a set of rear tires about every 8 months. Due to this i run the cheapest tires i can get my hands on on the street(about $30 each). Other issue is is that unless you're willing to run about 50 PSI daily and keep your wheels indexed you'll snap axles left and right.

If you're considering welding an axle on a daily driver I'd recommend converting to manual lockouts (auto hubs aren't strong enough) and then weld/spool the front axle. Keep in mind you would NEVER be able to lock in the hubs on pavement. It would be total suicide. But keep the hubs unlocked and you'd never know it was there until you go offroad, then you'll be amazed at how far it'll take you. You can then also unlock one hub to give you a bit better turning radius and still have a full 3 wheel drive. Other part of that is that i'm not exactly sure how strong the stubs/CV's are on the X. I know that with my dana 44 I have to be REAL ginger with the throttle while turning. I can spit out axles and axle joints on command. That's why I'm looking for a good deal on a monotube dana 60 right now. . .

Justin

#394075 - 09/03/04 10:24 AM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by oleblue:
Gee, my little LSD oil only sticker came off a long time ago. How do they expect a paper sticker to stay on when it gets wet?
I thought mine was a metal tag.. humm, well after 4 years, mine is still there at least...

#394076 - 09/03/04 12:26 PM Re: Drop In replacement LSD
Anonymous
Unregistered

believe it or not I found my tag, on my 2000 still in tact and legable. So I do have an LSD. Looks like I have to research that "adding clutch discs" thread a little more. it just dosn't bite enough for me.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal