2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394219 - 17/09/03 01:36 PM ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Here is a teaser pic. I'll post more tonight.

What da ya think?

#394220 - 17/09/03 01:42 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Beautiful...can I trade you my ARB for one??? laugh

#394221 - 17/09/03 01:43 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
that thing's freakin dope. laugh

david [Geek]

#394222 - 17/09/03 01:52 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:

What da ya think?
Here come the critics. You asked for it. smile
Remove the tubing - on the 02,03's it goes against the grill lines, ugly I think. Looks like I stick with the stock bumpers.

#394223 - 17/09/03 01:53 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
babyX Offline

Nice.

#394224 - 17/09/03 02:00 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
sadly im with ole... it looks like it was made for another vehicle... the lines of the bars do not fit the Xterra.

i do like the lower section... but the tubing is all wrong

then again im not in the market for a winch bumper... so my opinion doesn't really matter...

#394225 - 17/09/03 02:11 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I think it looks good.... wink

#394226 - 17/09/03 02:18 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Works for me, I kinda like the mirroring of the vertical parts of the grill and central hoop.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#394227 - 17/09/03 03:17 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
What sort of winches will fit in this?
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#394228 - 17/09/03 04:56 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like it was built for what it was ment to be used for. Nice work, although it would be even better if you had a few other options for the bumper as well....I do like it. Now seeing that I have ordered your Schrock bars, How Much For The Bumper and Are You Fabricating Any For The Frontiers?

#394229 - 17/09/03 05:00 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
twitch Offline

Loc: Brea, CA
Quote:
it looks like it was made for another vehicle... the lines of the bars do not fit the Xterra.
I agree this does not look good. The tubing needs to be reshaped and toned down.

Yatta! forever...
http://www.refriedchicken.com

#394230 - 17/09/03 05:15 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Herk:
Looks like it was built for what it was ment to be used for.
a Zuk?

no seriousy... I may have been mistaken. I thought this was going to be built specificly for the Xterra,
based off of Xterra owners input...

am I the only one who sees that it was built for the Xterra,
based off the pre-existing Shrockworks Zuk bumper, with no X owner input.

yes it is beefier for the X, the lower portion anyway, but in the original thread he said it is simply because the X's radiator/frame hangs so low

don't get me wrong, it looks like a well built product... it just does not compliment the lines of the Xterra.

on the zuk it looks good, because the tubes match the lines of the vehicle, especialy the buldge in the hood.

I guess I just misunderstood what this bumper was gonna be and the purpose of the original thread.

--------edited to add----------

ok, i figured it out...

it would look fine... if you took 2-3 inches off each side... its simply too wide

#394231 - 17/09/03 08:00 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Well I'm glad to see many of you like it. I had two people already today come ask me where I got, so I think it is going to go over pretty well.

Yes it easy to be a critic. smile Not everyone is gonna like anything. I did my best to revise it to what most people seemed to want. Keep in mind also that the products we build are designed with serious offroad performance first and foremost, so they will generally appeal most to people who wheel their X a lot, tear off the flimsy POS plastic bumper on rocks and would like to add a winch someday. A lot of people have a very differnt vision for their X.

The bumper IS also available w/o tube and custom tube work is always an option. Also available with a center hoop only, like this but thicker tube:
http://www.shrockworks.com/Forum_Images/Tube2-099s.jpg

Todrick , if you go back and read the other post you will see everyone asking for a beefier main hoop with less angle. That's what they got, so if you think that is ignoring people's input, I don't know what to tell you other than grab some steel, a plasma, a MIG , and bender and have at it. laugh ONE person liked the design that mirrored the lines of the X.

What you are seeing is actually the original prototype with some changes made manually after the laser cutting. The only other change that will be in the final version just so happens to be that it will be a little narrower (the outside corners are coming in a little). It was too big of a change to do manually.

RE: Winches, I've had a Warn HS 9500 and a Warn 9000i (integrated solenoid) in there. It should work with just about any 9000lb or less winch other than an 8274. The socket for connecting the winch is in a handy location on the bumper. You can see it in the pics just to the right of the driver side light. One nice thing about the design, is it still looks good while you are saving up money for a winch. Here are some more pics. Some are w/o a winch.

#394232 - 17/09/03 08:25 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Looks great Jim! I really like how the winch is almost completely hidden behind the bumper...nice! ARB's answer to the new front end was to make the bumper stick out more (and I hear it's damn ugly)...guess they didn't think about putting the winch gear in behind!

#394233 - 17/09/03 08:32 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
debgary Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have an ARB, but if I had a choice of tube designs to choose from, as Shrockworks offers, I'd take the center tube only style. Unless you plan on tearing through the savanna's of Africa at a high rate of speed, the center tube style provides plenty of front end protection. The bumper appears to "stick out" enough on the sides to protect there. Thanks for offering another choice, especially one with options. laugh

#394234 - 17/09/03 08:40 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by debgary:
I have an ARB, but if I had a choice of tube designs to choose from, as Shrockworks offers, I'd take the center tube only style. Unless you plan on tearing through the savanna's of Africa at a high rate of speed, the center tube style provides plenty of front end protection. The bumper appears to "stick out" enough on the sides to protect there. Thanks for offering another choice, especially one with options. laugh
Here in the PNW where the trails are tight and we have to get right up against trees, I love having the light surrounds. They help me with guiding the front end in tight spaces because I not only can see where the corner of the bumper is, but if I absolutely have to rub a tree I'd rather rub it on the bumper than the sheetmetal. Infact, one of the guys in our club almost shredded his front fender on a tree because a branch that was not too visible to him was sticking out and got caught between his corner light and the fender. Same trail we had to take one of my sliders off and carry it down the hill to him so he could get around a stump without damage. He bought the ARB the sliders the next week!

#394235 - 17/09/03 08:46 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
where's the remarks about how the gap is too small now?

(Shrock - this is not directed at you....)

according to the "experts" this will damage sheet metal when the frame flexes....

btw- the bumper looks AWESOME !!! great fit and finish and I really like how it doesn't stick out too far from the frame horns and front of the truck......

SHROCK - thank you for listening and creating something great for us.

#394236 - 17/09/03 08:55 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
according to the "experts" this will damage sheet metal when the frame flexes....
It may. Shrockworks bumper looks to have the same clearance to the fender as my ARB. My ARB taps the fender over rough roads, and touches hard when flexing. The paint is gone from the ARB and the fender where they contact.

How them gears treating you ?

#394237 - 17/09/03 09:05 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
I like what I see, but would love to see it on a 2000-2001 front end. I bet it matches up with the square headlights nicely and will help sell more.

Also, what happened to the beer opener? laugh

#394238 - 17/09/03 09:08 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

If the body/frame flexes a lot it may touch the bumper mounted at this height. It hasnt yet pounding over railroad tracks and such. I doubt it would hit hard enough to damage the sheet metal on the X, but it could remove some paint on both if it did.

The ARB on my Trooper hits occasionally too. Doesn't bother me. You can always mount it a bit lower if you want.

The wings on this thing are VERY stout though. I stood right on the very tip end of one with all my weight on one foot and it did not flex. I'm not bashing ARB. It is a nice bumper, but you can easily flex the end of the wings with one hand on the ARB's....I think that is where some of the problems we've heard about are coming from.

#394239 - 17/09/03 09:27 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
[b]according to the "experts" this will damage sheet metal when the frame flexes....
It may. Shrockworks bumper looks to have the same clearance to the fender as my ARB. My ARB taps the fender over rough roads, and touches hard when flexing. The paint is gone from the ARB and the fender where they contact.

How them gears treating you ?[/b]
Strange you have that problem. My ARB fits tighter than that with the fenders and AFAIK, the only time there has been contact between the two was when I was being stupid in the sand dunes and bottomed out the ARB at about 30 MPH (D'oh!). My hood sure beats up the fenders on rough roads though (moves side to side)! :rolleyes:

#394240 - 17/09/03 10:05 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I think it looks awesome and follows the suggestions of a lot of XOC members and the classic design of a ShrockWorks bumper.

To echo krisjon's request, when can we see one installed on a 2000 -01 X? I will be in the market for a winchbumper after I complete my suspension lift and would appreciate the comparison between the ARB and Calimini bumper.

#394241 - 17/09/03 10:06 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
AverysX Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx
Great job!
I wanna see one on a 2k or 2k1 though and I wanna see it after the corners are taken in a little. Still seems a hair to wide.

#394242 - 17/09/03 10:08 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

ok.... i guess i was harsh(i seem to do that a lot)

It looks great with just the center tube
still a bit wide, but you addressed that.

in refering to the other thread, I was thinking specificly of your original sketch... the "bug-eyed" look when you recieved complaints... you made mention of having another Idea in mind... it just seems that other idea was to do the exact same tubing as your other bumpers... without regard to the asthetics of the Xterra.

with that said... i still say it look like a hell of a product, that will suit a lot of people nicely... and it looks nice with only the center section.

i was just under the impression that it wasn't going to be so similar to your other bumper

#394243 - 17/09/03 10:40 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
twitch Offline

Loc: Brea, CA
Center tube only looks better, but I still think the center tube is to high (00-01) don't have the raise in the hood and I could only imagine what it would look like with my lights mounted up there. I would suggest lowering the center tube for the older models.

Yatta! forever...
http://www.refriedchicken.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal