2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394388 - 12/05/06 09:59 AM Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys,
Picked up a Calmini front front bumper/skid combo and a Champion winch...
Doesn't seem to leave much in the way of airflow. Will I have overheating issues on my 04 auto 4x4? Anyone have experience with that issue. Tell me all will be okay......Please.

#394389 - 12/05/06 11:16 AM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nope, you are going to overheat. You need to drill big holes in the bumper. wink

Just kidding. You should be fine. There are a lot of people running the calmini bumpers with winches.

One thing, if you end up in mud, be sure to hose out your radiator really good when you get home. #1 cause for overheating of vehicles that wheel is junk in the rad.

#394390 - 12/05/06 01:10 PM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
You are going to be fine. I thought the winch and bumper were blocking airflow as well. Turned out I had a bad water pump and my timing was advanced too far.

Doug

#394391 - 24/09/06 04:13 PM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
Xtasy Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have this setup and have overheating badly. I have replaced all cooling components and still have overheating. Of course the dealer says bumper and I feel at this point they're right. What I'm trying to figure out now is will a bigger heavy duty radiator help as I've already added two additional electric fans (albeit on the AC condenser). Now I do live in Phoenix and it's bad during the summer, but it is now 70-80 and when I put a strain on the engine at high speeds 60+ my needle shots right up. I noticed this starting before I even had a winch on the front, but now that I do it appears to be even worst.

Has anyone upgraded their radiators for higher capacity and where is a good location to get one?

#394392 - 24/09/06 04:46 PM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Gently power wash or garden hose your radiator and condenser. I'd bet your seriously clogged up.

#394393 - 24/09/06 05:06 PM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
All I did was replace the radiator cap...it was leaking pressure, so the water was able to boil, and that made me over heat when going slow, esp. w/ the AC on.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#394394 - 24/09/06 05:51 PM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtasy:

Has anyone upgraded their radiators for higher capacity and where is a good location to get one?
Got my Rad here Went with the three core and it fits just snug w/o any modifications and it fixed my problem.

#394395 - 25/09/06 01:14 AM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
Xtasy Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Thank you so much for the link. I have just purchaed the 3 row that you did. I have tried everyting for mine. I just did my final modification and it didn't work. I went to Water Wetter and 15% AF and it didn't help.

I was looking at the pictures you posted and I can see why I'm having this problem. I can't believe how cheesy and thin the OE is, it's only 1 row and way to low efficiency.

I can't wait for my replacement. Thanks Again.

#394396 - 25/09/06 07:49 AM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Xterras in general tend to have overheating problems - the bumper/winch combo probably doesn't help matters - but it isn't "the" problem.

It's definitely worth upgrading to that 3 row radiator. The stock 1-row stinks.

#394397 - 26/09/06 08:19 PM Re: Front Bumper + winch = Overheating?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the 1 row is harder to clog with mud & crap, the 3 row is ~2 times as good at shedding heat.
I have the 3 row, and replaced my fan with an aftermarket one. if you are still having o.h. problems you may want to have the compression checked, could be a bad head gasket..
also change the oil, and tranny fluid(if auto)..
the auto tranny is cooled by the radiator.. if the tranny is making extra heat, it could also cause higher temps.. only other thing is replace the stat.. assuming the pump, clutch fan & rad are ok..

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal