Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#498542 - 27/11/01 05:56 AM Skid Row + SLR
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Has anyone added the Skid Row engine skid and have the SLR lift? If so did the plate have to be altered or shimmed for installation?
EOE...Opening Soon!

#498543 - 27/11/01 06:59 PM Re: Skid Row + SLR
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Yes, it can be done. I have both installed with no modification required.

I'm not even sure the diff drop kit helps that much (or rather will do anything) in preventing CV blowout (it only drops the dif about 1/2 inch). This will only affect your CV angle a few degrees in the most extreme cases. I am also concerned about the drive shaft angle and the fact that this changes with the diff drop kit too. I've had no problems with either of these so far, but Mike at AC was quick to point these two factors out when I was lift shopping.
Of all the lifted and abused Xs on these boards, I only know of one documented instance of CV blowout... Hmmm

Spencer at SLR absolutely recommends the kit from experience, so who am I to question thier design, though none of the other available lifts have made such an offering. Just something to think about.

Anywho, the only issue with mounting the engine skid with the SLR kit is the fact that the front diff now contacts the engine skid but it DOES not prevent it form being installed properly. When you tighten down the U-bolts the skid bends ever so slightly around the bottom of the diff.

I don't like this, because the skid should not come in contact with what it's protecting, otherwise the force is transfered THROUGH the skid and into the diff mounting instead of to the frame. Luckily delrin is tough as is the diff... I think it can take it.
I mean, if this wasn't true, the current concept in place for a rear diff skid is just as ludicrous. That skid is bolted TO what it is protecting. Thus impacts are transferred through them as well. The skid just protects form scrapes and such, not VERY sharp impacts... so don't go trying to shoot your skid protected diff with armor piercing bullets.

The only other issue is vibration... As Ian documented on the XOC, the delrin bushings add a bit of vibration when in 4x4 since the soft rubber mounts are replaced. This is amplified slightly with my current setup (since the diff and skid touch). The vibrations in the diff are transferred via the delrin bushings and via the skid plate (which bolts directly to the frame)... no rattles like the noise from the exhaust though.
Those with aggressive tires will never notice this though since you already deal with much stronger vibration on a larger level. Once again, not a big issue, I don't even notice anymore... Gotta love TrXus.

I went ahead and bought a complete set of replacement OEM Diff bushings (with the mounts) They're a bitch to remove and replace with the delrin SLR kits, thus if you ever want to go back, this is the only way. I may pull the drop kit if people start experiencing problems, but I'm yet to have any so far.

Once again, none of these issues are show stoppers, so for those of you with SR skids and are looking at the SLR lift, it is quite possible with no modification required.

Feel free to post more questions

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: SEXterra ]

#498544 - 28/11/01 08:21 AM Re: Skid Row + SLR
an1malch1n Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by SEXterra:
I am also concerned about the drive shaft angle and the fact that this changes with the diff drop kit too.

I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. For example: The Trailmaster lift for the old Hardbodies/Pathies drops the entire front end 4 inches, and as far as I know I haven't heard of anybody having issues at all with the driveshaft and that kit has been out for years.
I guess the reason I point this out is because these trucks (HB/Pathy & Frontier/X) are extremely close when it comes to the front end drivetrain. So a 1/2 inch in drop shouldn't have an adverse effect on your driveshaft, other than vibration issues you mentioned becuase of the type of bushings used.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal