2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#496007 - 08/07/03 11:21 PM Hand Throttle
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Hey,

Is anyone running one besides Mobycat? I have a mtb lever and just need a tandem rear brake cable to get started.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#496008 - 09/07/03 01:28 AM Re: Hand Throttle
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I don't know of anyone else.

Just be careful with it, as it can leave the throttle open when you don't want it to (the lady who rolled backward down Hell's Gate last year was using one, and the Jeep wouldn't stop).

With the CALMINI 3.92:1 Transfer Case Gears and Coolerman's Clutch Interlock Bypass switch, I no longer need to worry about not having enough feet to work the clutch, brake and gas smile

BTW, Rubicon Express sells a complete kit for about $25.

#496009 - 09/07/03 05:56 AM Re: Hand Throttle
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
This is the model from Rubicon Express :
RE Throttle I don't know if I necessarily like this one that much... I think the throttle shown on the MAXC site is much better... just my own opinion... [Wave]

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#496010 - 09/07/03 04:38 PM Re: Hand Throttle
Miikkaa Offline

Thanks for the replies folks. I saw the RE kit when I was researching the idea but I like the brake lever instead of the index shifter (neat if I had to keep the rpms at a certain level, though). I'm happy to say that everything is in and working like a champ. Here are some pics:

I had a Deore XT lever somewhere but as the saying goes, "when you need it now..." BTW that's a genuine Campy cable adjustor I tapped into the stop bracket by the throttle cam. [Smoking]

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#496011 - 09/07/03 04:52 PM Re: Hand Throttle
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, that's pretty neato! smile

#496012 - 09/07/03 05:59 PM Re: Hand Throttle
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Just don't eject a CD into it in 1st, 3rd or 5th laugh

#496013 - 09/07/03 06:21 PM Re: Hand Throttle
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
No doubt! Shift the brake handle to either side just a tad.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#496014 - 09/07/03 07:31 PM Re: Hand Throttle
Miikkaa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]Just don't eject a CD into it in 1st, 3rd or 5th laugh
No doubt! Shift the brake handle to either side just a tad.[/b]
I'm fine in 5th laugh The lever will only be on when I off-road, where the only thing on is the CB and/or FRS. Gotta' love quick-release levers. Too bad the the cool 5spd. knob I found in my Z parts has different threads frown I'm also dying to find a lever from that mtb. groupo Campagnolo put out a while ago. BTW Mobycat, I'm curious as to why you no longer use yours? I heard you removed it soon after the install.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#496015 - 09/07/03 09:02 PM Re: Hand Throttle
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Miikkaa:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Just don't eject a CD into it in 1st, 3rd or 5th laugh
I'm fine in 5th laugh The lever will only be on when I off-road, where the only thing on is the CB and/or FRS. Gotta' love quick-release levers. Too bad the the cool 5spd. knob I found in my Z parts has different threads frown I'm also dying to find a lever from that mtb. groupo Campagnolo put out a while ago. BTW Mobycat, I'm curious as to why you no longer use yours? I heard you removed it soon after the install.[/b]
Yeah, I did. (Was probably about 9 months after the install.) I've thought about putting it back. It worked great, until... Was playing around with it (not offroad, just in a parking lot) and it went "snap". The cable broke right at the throttle wheel. Should've gotten better cable - the one I had was el cheapo.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#496016 - 09/07/03 10:01 PM Re: Hand Throttle
Miikkaa Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Miikkaa:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
I'm fine in 5th laugh The lever will only be on when I off-road, where the only thing on is the CB and/or FRS. Gotta' love quick-release levers. Too bad the the cool 5spd. knob I found in my Z parts has different threads frown I'm also dying to find a lever from that mtb. groupo Campagnolo put out a while ago. BTW Mobycat, I'm curious as to why you no longer use yours? I heard you removed it soon after the install.[/b]
Yeah, I did. (Was probably about 9 months after the install.) I've thought about putting it back. It worked great, until... Was playing around with it (not offroad, just in a parking lot) and it went "snap". The cable broke right at the throttle wheel. Should've gotten better cable - the one I had was el cheapo.
Ahh, I understand now. I wanted to decrease the action so I used two fender washers I had laying around with a thin nylon gear spacer of slightly less diameter to run the cable over and to provide a way to anchor it (one big sandwich). I'm going to eventually rig some sort of cable anchor on it and run a spacer wider than the cable for a set-up like the stock cam rollers have. This should allow the cable to ride over it and eliminate the stress. BTW thank you for the excellent write-up in the MAXC mod section!! I think I had that linked before I even got the X smile

Edit: I suck at spelling

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal