2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98149 - 07/01/04 05:58 PM Trail Rating Explanation
Vaca Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
FNG question:

Every book and website I've seen seems to have their own independant rating scale, but I see frequent references to trail ratings in the forums. I assume there is a standard rating system and some reference that rates trails accordingly.

Can someone explain this rating system and point me in the right direction? I have indeed tried the search, but either the answer is hidden or I am truly stupid.

[Freak]

#98150 - 07/01/04 09:19 PM Re: Trail Rating Explanation
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
I have seen a 1 to 5 Rating on Trails... 5 - means to be very extreme Offroading Trails (Rock Crawling and Mud) . and 1 - means to be very 4x2 and 4x4 Friendly Trails....

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#98151 - 08/01/04 06:50 AM Re: Trail Rating Explanation
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
The only system I know is the TMTC one here in Texas - this is from their website:

OHV Trail Ratings:

¨Level 1 (May need a note on some regarding WIDE/Narrow or Full-Size)
Technical Recommendations: 4-wheel drive only needed occasionally. Relaxing ride with few tough spots.
Description: Any 4-wheel drive Sport Utility or Pickup with a low range and reasonable ground clearance can do these trails. Obstacles may include some deep sand, shallow water crossings, small to medium rocks, mud, and semi-steep hills and descents.

¨¨Level 2 (May need a note on some regarding WIDE/Narrow or Full-Size)
Technical Recommendations: 4-wheel drive needed a lot. Stock vehicles and tires OK.
Description: An SUV or 4-wheel drive with larger (than) stock tires, possibly a limited slip, and a transfer case ratio of 2.5 or above fares better here. Some SUV's will be seriously challenged. 50/50 locked transfer case recommended.

¨¨¨Level 3 (May need a note on some regarding WIDE/Narrow or Full-Size)
Technical Recommendations: Large, aggressive tires needed. Rear locker recommended.
Description: Rigs with solid front axles, limited slips, sway bar disconnects, and aggressive tires recommended. Driving skill & intuition really starts to matter a great deal at this level.

¨¨¨¨Level 4
Technical Recommendations: Rear locker needed. Front locker / limited slip recommended. Winch recommended. High challenge!
Description: Aggressive tires of at least 31" needed (33 or larger recommended), a rear locker, winch recommended. Your experience should include: steep hill-climbing, traversing ledges and steps, crossing mud holes, winching, log crossings, driving through deep water, large rocks, etc. Good spotters and trail guides can help you get through. Spare parts, tools, and recovery equipment are needed here. Run these trails with club members and experienced folks. Damage and broken parts can definitely happen here.

¨¨¨¨¨Level 5
Technical Recommendations: Front and rear lockers, winch and driving experience needed / recommended.
Description: Nobody should be on these trails without 33"+ tires, locker front and rear, a winch, lots of experience, and a total disregard for the mechanical or cosmetic condition of their vehicle.

#98152 - 08/01/04 07:27 AM Re: Trail Rating Explanation
OnlyOneDR Offline

I love that last line on the Level 5 description!

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal