2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#497447 - 16/11/04 04:28 PM Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm currently looking into getting a powertank setup to run a rear locker, tires, etc.. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. The setup I'm looking at would essentially be the PT10 + ARB manifold kit.
Thanks!

#497448 - 16/11/04 07:39 PM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Such as what?

What questions do you have.

I highly suggest www.Powertank.com they have a good selection and pricing is comparable to other systems. They have an excellent video and FAQ section. Other than that what are your questions?

#497449 - 16/11/04 08:05 PM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just trying to see what works and what doesn't. I'm curious as to how folks are running their lines. Mounting suggestions, i.e. what location seems to be the least space consuming. Also interested if any Xterra setups are using the GCR pneumatic switch Gulf Coast Rovers in place of the electric setup. I also would like to know if I should have the carrier bearings changed when the locker goes in - currently I've got aroung 52K on my truck. Any pointers would be appreciated..

#497450 - 17/11/04 03:58 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
see www.sunperformance.com for air switches and accessories.

www.4x4connection.com also has some 'stuff'.

Toy Man

#497451 - 17/11/04 08:32 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would recommend getting your CO2 tank from a local welding supply store, instead of getting a powertank, for a couple reasons.

1) It's a lot cheaper

2) A lot of local stores refill CO2 tanks like gas stations do propane tanks; just bring in your empty one, and exchange it for a full one. No wait, no fuss, no nothing. But if you bring in your own tank, a lot of places will ask you to leave it overnight, and pick it up the next day. Sort of inconvenient

3) This way, you don't technically "own" the tank, so if something happens to it, you simply trade it in, instead of having to buy new

4) If you decide to upgrade from a 10# tank to a 20# tank, or vice-versa, the only difference you pay when you pick up the new tank, is the difference in cost of the CO2. Saves buying a new tank, or regretting the size you got and not being able to afford to replace it.

This is what all my friends that run CO2, do. It's a lot cheaper, and more convenient.

#497452 - 17/11/04 08:37 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Toy Man - Thanks for the input. Are you using this switch setup.

#497453 - 17/11/04 05:20 PM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Toy Man Offline

Quote:
Are you using this switch setup.
No. I had my ARB electric switches installed for quite sometime before I found these. I am happy with the ARB switches. Had some problems at first breaking the switch toggle 'pin' but think I had them placed too close together. Trouble free since I re-positioned them.

Toy Man

#497454 - 17/11/04 06:06 PM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

ToyMan - What's the best place to route the air line to the locker? Thx

#497455 - 18/11/04 03:18 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Toy Man Offline

Quote:
ToyMan - What's the best place to route the air line to the locker?
Damn if I know. I just threw money at an installer and had him do it. Never really looked at where/how the airline is installed.

Toy Man

#497456 - 18/11/04 07:47 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Toy Man Offline

PS: Lockers work better with automatic transmissions. You should get the Calmini transfer case gears if you have a manual transmission.

The lockers will still work with a manual, it's just that you will probably end up slipping the clutch - a LOT IMHO

Toy Man

#497457 - 18/11/04 08:30 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

What???

The transmission has nothing to do with whether or not you have a locker, or the "effectiveness" of the locker. Yeah, it has to do w/ driving style & technique, but come on... If you currently wheel w/o a locker, in a manual, then you already know how to slip the clutch, when needed.

T-case gears are a whole different topic/necessity. Got nothing to do with the locker. Consider t-case gears a "next-step" in the offroad buildup.

#497458 - 18/11/04 08:53 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Porche / Toy - thanks for the input. Although I do plan on having an installer put the locker in, I wanted to setup the air system myself. Anybody have any ideas on routing the locker airline from the cargo area to the rear locker?

#497459 - 18/11/04 09:45 AM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not knowing the X extensively (since I have a Frontier), I don't know for sure. BUT, what I would look at, is, go to where the factory jack is located, drill a hole & use a rubber grommet, and run the hose out that way. Once it's underneath, run it either inside the frame rail, or above the frame rail, until you're perpendicular to the axle. Then run it to the connection in the housing, and leave a good 14" or so of slack, so when the rear axle flexes, it won't snap/stretch/stress the tubing any. Make sure you zip tie it tight, so there's no chance the line can touch (or even get close) to the exhaust.

#497460 - 18/11/04 06:08 PM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
I came out through the pass tail light down the frame rail to the rear cross bar and to the diff.
Also covered the 5mm hose with some thicker 1/4" air hose to protect it from chaffing.

#497461 - 18/11/04 07:22 PM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

follow the rear brake line up from the axle, and all the way up front.. Nissan put the brake lines there to be safe.. works for me..
Make your line a little longer then the brake line, so if you go wild later with revolvers or somthing, all you have to do is replace the brake line, not redo the air system..

#497462 - 18/11/04 09:51 PM Re: Questions for locked Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone for all the 411. I purchased a co2 setup today along with a manifold for the ARB. I'm seriously considering routing the airline out through the access panel for the fuel sender. Any thoughts on this?

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal