2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#497273 - 21/12/04 11:35 PM Tip Ratio Question
BradLee Offline

Loc: Black Hills
For the time being I am considering putting on a 3inch body lift, Shackles, blistens and bigger tires. Any idea about what degree of change I would be looking at for tip ratio. Lets say i will have 32 or 33's on it.

ThanX....

#497274 - 22/12/04 12:12 AM Re: Tip Ratio Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

you will see more of a change overloading the roof rack, and turning fast..
removing the rear sway bar is noticeable..

#497275 - 22/12/04 05:13 AM Re: Tip Ratio Question
BradLee Offline

The rear sway has been gone for months now. I have never noticed that being any different. Are you saying adding on the rack with the mentioned mods I will notice a big difference, or are you saying that I would notice more just with my rack overloaded than I would with the lift?

#497276 - 22/12/04 03:19 PM Re: Tip Ratio Question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
You mentioned a 3" BL, and shackles for a lift, and running 33's.

The BL made no noticeable weight/handling difference for me (on a 2" BL), the 3" should be similar...the body is light compared to the rest of the truck.

I assume that if you are doing shackles, you are also doing a t-bar crank upfront....that's just 1.5" or so, not much diff there either.

The 33's raise you another coupla inches over stock, and raise the axles, frame/body too.

The change in tip factor (for me) running a 2" BL + 3" SL + 33's was a few mph on off ramps, maybe 5-10% loss in lateral acceleration....and off camber, about the same (Proportional). So overall, handling was improved, braking was improved, traction was improved.

The responsiveness was better than stock, but the overall lateral limits were lower.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#497277 - 22/12/04 05:45 PM Re: Tip Ratio Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

What I was trying to say is the center of gravity (CG) on the truck is maybe 3~3.5' off the ground. The engine, tranny, xfercase, frame make up the bulk of it, and go figure, they are all mounted pretty low on the truck wink ..
Overloading the roof rack, like 3 to 5 hundred pounds, you are going to shift the CG up close to a foot.. the difference between the stock 30's and 33's is only 1.5". add 3" SL, you are at 4.5" The body is pretty light VS the rest of the truck that isn't effected by a BL.. so the CG moves 1~1.5" for a BL..

#497278 - 22/12/04 09:55 PM Re: Tip Ratio Question
BradLee Offline

Thanks TJ and Xtopher. I did fail to mention that I have Calmini Torsion Bars alredy installed.

#497279 - 26/12/04 07:58 AM Re: Tip Ratio Question
BradLee Offline

Hey TJ I read this post from you POST .
It had great info [ThumbsUp]

I believe I am going to do 2" Body, Tires, Shackles & Rear Shocks (Bilsteins). See I ultimately want to do SAS, but with money I have just put in my truck for repairs, (like knock sensor), I am going to put that on the back burner for a spell. Thanks Again!

#497280 - 27/12/04 08:27 AM Re: Tip Ratio Question
BradLee Offline

Ok now I have been searching all over and I am just not getting a clear answer on a few things.

1) Where should I order my Bilsteins & what is the series and Item number for the longer 20% stiffer version.

2)I have also been thinking of instaling a stearing stabilizer. Likely Rancho, because it is cheaper than Bilsteins. Rancho version ok to use?

3)Where I found to buy the 2" lift it says "Bumper relocation brackets sold seperatly", but they don't have them on there for sale. I have a ARB front bumper. I know there must be some custom job info that I have not found yet?

4)They sell a stock steprail bracket for 3"BL. Will that work for my 2"BL and my Shrockwork sliders, or should I go custom here aswell?

And finally, why do they call it taking a shit, when you are actually leaving it? laugh

#497281 - 27/12/04 08:46 AM Re: Tip Ratio Question
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by BradLee:

3)Where I found to buy the 2" lift it says "Bumper relocation brackets sold seperatly", but they don't have them on there for sale. I have a ARB front bumper. I know there must be some custom job info that I have not found yet?

4)They sell a stock steprail bracket for 3"BL. Will that work for my 2"BL and my Shrockwork sliders, or should I go custom here aswell?
Regarding bumper relocation:
I bought the 3" BL from Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com). The front bumper relocation brackets technically WORK for moving up an aftermarket bumper (Calmini in my case) - but they are extremely thin and weak (at least for something like that they are). I'm using them - but only until I get something much heavier welded on. We're thinking about welding short pieces of 2x4 rectangular tube on top of the frame horns to effectively make them taller.

The kit also came with rear bumper brackets.

Regarding the slider relocation, I doubt you'll be able to use the 3" brackets with a 2" lift since the sliders sit so close to the body (they were less than an inch from the body before my lift). As with the front bumper bracket, be VERY careful about using thin/cheap brackets for this. Anything associated with your ARB or rock sliders needs to be STRONG.

As everyone points out, the 3" lift is more work (and more expensive) than the 2"... but I think it is worth it because it contains so much more stuff... front and rear bumper relocators, radiator relocator, steering shaft extension etc etc.

#497282 - 27/12/04 09:32 AM Re: Tip Ratio Question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Generally...you can mount a slider for a smaller BL, but not a larger one...because the slider for a 3" will stick up too close to the door area which it "thought" would be higher....etc.

You can use a slider for a 2" Bl on a truck with a 3" BL, etc...you just have more room.

For the Bilsteins...just order the 20% stiffer Altered (3" SL) suspension shocks from SLR directly...saves alot of time/aggrivation.

laugh

Taking a shit is a paraphrased version of taking a constitutional...which was a type of break one used to relieve one's self.

When the word shit was substituted for the constitutional, the result was hybridized to taking a shit, despite the actual act resulting in leaving one.

Other expressions have also suffered similar fates over time..."I couldn't care less" has been shortened to "I could care less", which literally means the opposite of the resultant phrase...analogous to taking something you are leaving, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#497283 - 27/12/04 10:19 AM Re: Tip Ratio Question
BradLee Offline

[Laughing] [Spit] [Laughing] Man you are just full of good information. Why do they call them "Ham Burgers", when they are really "Beef burgers"? [Too much XOC]

#497284 - 27/12/04 01:30 PM Re: Tip Ratio Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Less letters on the menu.. You know how much college it takes to work at McD..'s

#497285 - 27/12/04 08:32 PM Re: Tip Ratio Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

they were invented in Hamburg, Germany!

#497286 - 28/12/04 04:40 PM Re: Tip Ratio Question
BradLee Offline

OOOOOHHHHHHH smile

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal