Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97912 - 18/01/05 10:04 AM 4 wheel Engage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hopefully this is not a bad question, but I am new so here goes. I have no problem dropping the X into 4 wheel, but I cannot get it the Gear stick to go any lower in gear. I thin that is 4L, am I missing something? I have tried pushing down, in, doing it in neutral, in park...etc Any ideas?

#97913 - 18/01/05 10:08 AM Re: 4 wheel Engage?
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
There's a great instructional thread in the "4WD" forum that outlines exactly how to shift. I believe there is even a short video that shows it being done. It's the thread called "Transfer case shifting 101."

You can also use the Search function to find a variety of threads on the same topic.

#97914 - 18/01/05 10:10 AM Re: 4 wheel Engage?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Read your manual, and check that video in the 4x4 forum.

If it is making grinding noises, and you can't get it to stop by shifting, then turn off the truck.

#97915 - 18/01/05 10:18 AM Re: 4 wheel Engage?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
You have to have it in Park or Neutral to switch to 4L.... this may be your problem.

You'll know when you get it into Low range because it will shift much differently (harder) and your top speed will be about 30mph (you can go a little faster, but don't).

And the way to avoid the grinding is to be agressive putting it into low.. not rediculously so, but don't be a pansy with it. Pull it back easily from 2H to 4H, shift into Neutral, and the push in on the stick ("in" like you're trying to push it through the bottom of the truck into the ground) and pull it all the way back into 4L swiftly and with a *little* bit of muscle.

#97916 - 18/01/05 10:26 AM Re: 4 wheel Engage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great Thanks!

#97917 - 18/01/05 04:29 PM Re: 4 wheel Engage?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
And don't be surprised by how far back the stick goes. In 4lo it's almost lying flat back on the floor.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal