2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#498773 - 10/04/05 05:05 PM Time to get Serious about SAS.
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Ok so I finally decided to get serious after all those jerks an AZ run hurt my feelings with their big trucks. I bought a dana 44 drivers side diff no vacuum disconnect from a 86 Grand Wagoneer. I have taken it to a 4x4 shop to get cleaned up and reconditioned. I now have to make some decisions.

What gearing should I run.

What size tire should I shoot for.

What locker should I use.

Should I keep the stock rear axle or go custom and throw in a Dana 44 from an isuzu rodeo which I already have access to.

How the hell am I gonna pay for all this.

Any Suggestions.

#498774 - 10/04/05 06:27 PM Re: Time to get Serious about SAS.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take your inconspicuous X out and rob a bank. Report it as stolen. Then down play it and say your not that stupid to rob a bank with your own vehicle. laugh

#498775 - 10/04/05 06:40 PM Re: Time to get Serious about SAS.
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
I’m running the Calmini SAS and have been very happy with it. It drives better than when it was lifted with the IFS kit.

On the gearing side it sort of depends on what your current gearing is. I had 4.9 stock so I left the rear gearing alone and put 4.88 in front (less than 1% difference). I have been very happy with this setup. It provides both on the road and off road performance.

As far as tire size goes, I’m running 33x12.5x15 and have been happy. Again, both on the road and off-road performance. Going up to 35s is only going to give you another inch at the diff and chances are you will have to go with a 2” body lift to avoid clearance issues. Any bigger and you can get out the sawzall.

The diff kind of depends on your budget and what you normally do with your Xterra. Do you drive it every day? If so go with an ARB or Eaton E-Locker. If not you can’t beat a Detroit. I already had an ARB in the rear so I did the same in the front.

Leave the rear end alone. It’s stronger than a D44 (unless you go with 35 spline after market axles).

-Doug

#498776 - 10/04/05 07:47 PM Re: Time to get Serious about SAS.
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Ivan,

Whatever you do just give me a call and I will help with whatever work you need done. Let me know...

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#498777 - 10/04/05 08:26 PM Re: Time to get Serious about SAS.
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Anyone looking for a donar axle in GA.

http://www.southernjeeps.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8450

83 wagoneer on that list. I think that's a d44 ?

#498778 - 10/04/05 08:54 PM Re: Time to get Serious about SAS.
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Welcome to the dark side, no turning back now wink sell your soul or more hummers to pay for the parts.

Twitch and I were just working on mine today; upgraded the ujoints, passenger outer tie rod, plumbed the air lines, wired compressor, etc. laugh

Cowboy up and go for:

5.13/5.14 R&P gears, 35” tires, selectable lockers, keep the H233B rear.

[Eaton E-locker up front if you can get one, back ordered forever, ARB for the rear]

Otherwise go low budget:

4.65/4.56 R&P gears, 33” tires, lunch box locker up front, modified LSD rear.

[Stock rear gears, aussie is the best of the mechanical lunch box’s up front for $225, modify the stock rear by adding some more disks for $15 each]

Some trade off on the low budget, my pathy is very similar but with a Detroit in the rear. The modified LSD worked great in the toolbox almost like a spool.

Get her done so you can run the Rubicon with us this summer smile

Brian

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal