Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96493 - 28/12/05 09:57 AM Alternator Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going to silocone spray my alternator because i have had trouble with it, like three times. After the first time i went to my dealer and had them put a new one in there. Then drove through some mud again and the car died. So I jumped it and got the car working again and now the alternator seems fine, but i know once i go through another puddle it will die. Should i get another new one and then silicone it or will the one i alrealy have be ok. And should i like clean it before spraying, and what would be the best way.

Thanks

#96494 - 28/12/05 11:16 AM Re: Alternator Help
debgary Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Stay out of the mud. That fine grit in mud is what's giving you your problems. Some aspects of 4 wheeling have their drawbacks. Mud is one of them. It's like liquid sandpaper to internal parts.

#96495 - 28/12/05 06:41 PM Re: Alternator Help
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
As scary as this sounds, clean it out with Simple Green and your garden hose first, to get the gunk out....you'll need to rotate the workings as you go to get all the innards spiffy.

Also clean all the other electrical connections to it, back to their origins.

laugh

Water itself doesn't kill them...its typically the gunk that gums up the brushes.

Once its rinsed out, run it a bit to let it dry....then, spray the Si into every nook and cranny...rotating the innards as you go...and also the wires to ground, and back to the rest of the electrical system, distributor, plugs, etc.

If its any reassurance, the things are designd to run in the rain, etc...and be splashed by puddles, etc...just not dragged kicking and screaming through nasty bog water, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#96496 - 28/12/05 07:32 PM Re: Alternator Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

thank you very much tj
you have helped me once again

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal