Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95685 - 01/03/06 08:48 AM Front swaybar question
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'm about to go on a pretty hardcore wheeling trip ( link ) and want to minimize my chances of breakage.

The truck, as it will be on the trip is:
3"BL
1.5" PML
32" BFG MT tires on 3.5"BS rockcrawler steelies
DUAL air lockers
stock steering except for IAB and HD tierod adjusters
tons of armor

This will be my first wheeling with the front locker installed and, though I've got tons of steering spares and a spare half shaft, I'd rather not need any of them.

The question is this: Would leaving the front swaybar on (and the subsequent decrease in wheel travel) decrease my chances of breakage?

Since I'm fully locked I really don't care a whole lot about keeping tires on the ground...

Or is the benefit of no sway worth taking it off?

I haven't had my rear sway on for years... but I usually leave the front on.

#95686 - 01/03/06 09:05 AM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Would leaving the front swaybar on (and the subsequent decrease in wheel travel) decrease my chances of breakage?
Undo the front sways when you get on the trail. Only thing you've gotta remember is not to goose it at full droop with the wheel turned.(KERPLOW!!) You'll more than likely not need your front locker anyway, the back should push you through most of what's ahead..
PS- Have a great time!!

#95687 - 01/03/06 09:53 AM Re: Front swaybar question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Personnally, I'd leave it on if its breakage you are worried about.

You could also do a diff drop kit, and relieve the droop angles related stress.

You would get a small increase in front travel disco'd, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

If you DO disco the front, the advice to lay off the go go juice when drooped, especially when the wheel is turned, is golden.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#95688 - 01/03/06 10:23 AM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hi-jack...but while on topic. My Fronty has a rear sway bar and I have read over and over that it limits wheel travel and articulation. If I remove it will I feel (negative) any difference while driving on the highway?

#95689 - 01/03/06 10:26 AM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, lose it. One thing though, is if you haul in the truckbed, the swaybar does provide a little stability over the road. If you don't carry loads in the truckbed however, ditch it. smile

#95690 - 01/03/06 10:34 AM Re: Front swaybar question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I haven't even been able to install my front bar for some time now. No CV issues off-road, yet anyway. However, I don't think that there's enough flex gained to really make it worth the chance. Leave it on would be my advice.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#95691 - 01/03/06 11:18 AM Re: Front swaybar question
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

You could also do a diff drop kit, and relieve the droop angles related stress.
laugh
A couple weeks ago I called SLR with credit card in hand ready to buy the diff drop kit (I bought a front diff with an ARB in it (from a guy that just SAS'ed) that we'll be installing when we get there... so it'll be out anyway) - but the SLR guy flat out told me that if I didn't have a real 3" suspension lift (which I don't) it was a waste of money. I think he was wrong and that I'd still get some benefit - but screw it. I'll save the cash in case I need it to buy another half shaft [LOL]

Thanks for the advice everybody!

#95692 - 01/03/06 12:37 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

DBAX,

I carry an ATV from time to time when I go riding, but nothing much in the bed regularly. Is a SB so I really cant carry much even if I wanted to. What do you think?

#95693 - 01/03/06 12:40 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure if SB is SwayBar, or ShortBed.. But really, just take it off and try it out. I don't see the ATV causing any issues while being hauled. Just don't drive like an ass. smile

#95694 - 01/03/06 12:58 PM Re: Front swaybar question
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Not sure if SB is SwayBar, or ShortBed.. But really, just take it off and try it out. I don't see the ATV causing any issues while being hauled. Just don't drive like an ass. smile
Exactly..Just remember when carrying your bike in the back to take corners a little slower.Fuck the cars behind ya they can wait..I've also had mine off for a long time now and love it..But when I'm loaded up to the gils then I can a little bit..

#95695 - 01/03/06 01:01 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Kaiser Offline

Some people who have put the rear sway bars back on after having them off for awhile say they can feel a difference when you put it back on... I couldn't.

You can really tell it when you take both off though. When you go around a corner the body just rolls waaaaay over to the side. I drove home from western Colorado this way - it was a little weird, but not a big deal. I put the front back on when I got home, though (they're REALLY easy to remove and replace).

#95696 - 01/03/06 01:18 PM Re: Front swaybar question
bikesdestroy Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
What's a sway bar? laugh [LOL]

Troy [drink]

#95697 - 01/03/06 01:22 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

DBAX, SB=Short Bed. Anyway, I really dont hot-rod my truck, much less with my bike on it (not that I can anyway VG33 + 32" tires = S...L...O...W). I agree, fuck the people behind me they can wait, I just dont want to hinder perf. when I am driving on the streets, since it is driven there most of the time. The only time I get a little crazy on road is on the freeway reaching speeds of...(ready for this) 80-85MPH if that.

So what do you think?

OFF with the SB or not?

#95698 - 01/03/06 01:23 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I haven't even been able to install my front bar for some time now. No CV issues off-road, yet anyway. However, I don't think that there's enough flex gained to really make it worth the chance. Leave it on would be my advice.
I disagree... I noticed a very large amount of flex in the front after removing mine. I've got the poly upper bumpstop replacement, the slr stage 1-4 UCA's and I haven't noticed anything binding up at full droop. I'd suggest just jacking the X up off the ground, let the tires droop as much as possible and try putting it in 4wd and see if anything binds.

#95699 - 01/03/06 01:40 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
OFF with the SB or not?
The rear, yes.

#95700 - 01/03/06 05:54 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bikesdestroy:
What's a sway bar? laugh [LOL]

Troy [drink]
If you want to have your life flash before your eyes drive around with the front off all the time... I am very leary of riding in Troys X anymore. :p

But ditch the rear sway bar. wink

#95701 - 02/03/06 07:15 AM Re: Front swaybar question
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by VG33POWER:
DBAX, SB=Short Bed....

So what do you think?

OFF with the SB or not?
Yes... off with the Short Bed :p

#95702 - 02/03/06 08:27 AM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes... off with the Short Bed
[Spit]

...done!...with the sway bar that is, not the short bed. [Too much XOC]

#95703 - 02/03/06 09:33 AM Re: Front swaybar question
bikesdestroy Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
Quote:
If you want to have your life flash before your eyes drive around with the front off all the time... I am very leary of riding in Troys X anymore.
You, scared?
[Laughing]

Troy [drink]

#95704 - 02/03/06 01:56 PM Re: Front swaybar question
Anonymous
Unregistered

With stock UCA's, I don't think you'll have a problem with it off. Aftermarket UCA's allow a bit more droop, and that's when binding can become an issue. You'll be wheeling with plenty of guys who have done trail fixes on steering MANY MANY times.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal