2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96445 - 16/01/07 06:43 AM 4x2 trade up to 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all, i was going to post this on the sale thread but i thought this might get me better results.

Since were trying to stop having car payments for a while i dont want another car loan. I let my wife talk me into a 4x2 when i first purchased my xterra and now that i have an opertunity for a 4x4 i dont want to pass it up. I have ALWAYS enjoyed the outdoors, be it camping, beach, anything really.

It seems the way for me to get one [4x4] without putting any more money out of pocket is to step back to a year earlier, say a '01 xterra 4x4.

Im trying to look at this from all angles, yes its a year older, no warranty, offroading will cause additional wear and tear, no real assurance of it being mechanically "sound". On the other side, its something ive wanted for a long time; since i bought my 4x2 actually. I have put alot of stress on my 4x2 trying to keep up with a 4x4. I beleive that the couple issues i have had with my 4x2 would not have happened with a 4x4.

1. In conclusion, would this be a viable option?

2. How have your '01 xterra/frontiers been?

3. Have any of you bought a '01 used?

4. How has it performed?

I know this is allot of rambling, but i would like your input and i want to make an educated decision. Please post any other info which may help my decision. The trade in value of my '02 4x2 is roughly $8495 on the KBB with a "good" condition.

Thanks!

[Wave]

#96446 - 16/01/07 08:19 AM Re: 4x2 trade up to 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I were to do so, I'd sell my vehicle privately, take the cash and buy what you like. Trade in value is a great variable, and it's likely you can get more for your vehicle by selling it to a private party. I doubt that a dealer would give you the amount that you posted, it's almost always gonna be less unless they REALLY need to unload something.

#96447 - 16/01/07 03:52 PM Re: 4x2 trade up to 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

My '01 has been a great truck. I live in an incredibly harsh environment (Ned is at about 8,500 ft), so I use my 4x4 almost everyday for 9 months of the year. I have used it at the mine site to carry equipment up and down the tight roads when our big mine trucks can't make it. It's been places where I never thought it would go, and was unharmed in the process. I have never broken anything, ever off-road - I have had my front CV boots get destroyed, but that was an easy fix, and probably a screw-up on my part.

I wheel it now on the weekends only - I like it so much I want to keep it till I die. It sits happily in my garage out of the 0 degree weather, partially disassembled with at least a case of empty beer bottles laying around to keep it company. An '06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited now gets me to and from work (which is a great truck too, btw).

In your situation I would sell the vehicle in the private market. I would list high, since you have the time to see if you get a bite. If not, no big deal, bring it down slowly and see what happens.

Then buy the 4x4 of your dreams, Xterra or not. It is a great hobby, good way to learn mechanical skills, and above all gets you into areas that you can't go without one (you mentioned camping). I got mine out in three feet of snow to hit up Eldora the day after the big storm out here and was all alone - because no one else could make it.

If you really want one why not, you only live once and you could be dead tommorrow. Money is just money, it comes and goes. Spend it you get to have fun now; save it you get to have fun later, maybe.

So in direct response to the questions:
1. Yes, just do it.
2. Freaking amazing.
3. Bought my '01 used in '03.
4. Freaking amazing.

And you thought you could ramble x-cited.

#96448 - 16/01/07 04:17 PM Re: 4x2 trade up to 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice response BB! Thanks!

I think you have a good idea as far as listing it hi and just wait.

[ThumbsUp]

#96449 - 17/01/07 05:35 PM Re: 4x2 trade up to 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carlos, to answer your question:

[Spit]

Just do it.

I put 50K on my previous 2000 Nissan Crew Cab before trading it (couldn't be towed behind my motorhome). My father had a 2001. No issues. Great trucks.

Ya need 4WD. See ya at the next Ocala outting!

Robert

laugh

#96450 - 19/01/07 06:04 AM Re: 4x2 trade up to 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Funny real funny... laugh laugh

[Wave]

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal