2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500330 - 01/01/08 06:02 PM good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i am starting my straight axle xterra project and was wanting to get some feed back on a good wheel and tire combo. i was thinking about doing a 35" tire. would a different size be better?

#500331 - 01/01/08 09:29 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Custom setup? Calmini kit? More details are needed. If you're going to be using the Calmini kit then you should run 33's as that's what it's designed for. If you're going to be running a custom setup build it around the 35s (that's about as big as you're going to be able to go without some serious cutting of wheel wells).
I run some Interco Super Swamper Radials and I love 'em.

#500332 - 01/01/08 09:44 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
The best all-around on/offroad tire for rocks IMO is the Goodyear MT/R.

Or, you can do what I do and have separate onroad and offroad tires... I run 35" Super Swamper Boggers offroad and as soon as my old MTs wear out I'll get some 33 or 35" BFG ATs for onroad use.

#500333 - 01/01/08 10:34 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ill be doing the cakmini kit. can the calmini kit handle a 35" tire or would it still be better to run a 33"? what would you recomend, a custom build or the kit? i am mechinic with a full garage and lift and can handle doing both. ultimately i want a awesome offroader and to be able to do some rock crawling but i dont want a full rock crawler. what are some suggestions?

#500334 - 02/01/08 08:31 AM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well as per the Calmini Kit, and as per Tyler, it says 33" tires.

Either way, I would go custom. I would make it so that 37" tires fit.

#500335 - 02/01/08 08:56 AM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I have seen 35's on a Calmini kit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you so choose to go with that size you just have to regear, among other things.

#500336 - 02/01/08 12:03 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GIOregonsXterra:
Quote:
I have seen 35's on a Calmini kit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you so choose to go with that size you just have to regear, among other things.
The Calmini kit was designed for 33s, but 35s will fit and work (just don't tell Calmini that you're running 35s if you run into issues).
If you are running 4.90 gears already then you don't need to re-gear for 33s.
With 35s if you want to be able to drive on the highway you should re-gear to 5.14/5.13.
If you go larger, you're definitely going to need to go 5.14/5.13 but that's the limit of re-gearing the Nissan rear end and it's going to suck...you could always get a matching rear Dana 44 though...

#500337 - 02/01/08 12:42 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info guys. i think im going to stick with 33's. it sounds like it would be less of a hassle. i already have a D44 for the front, would i need to get a different transfer case as well? if so which one should i get?

#500338 - 02/01/08 01:25 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your transfer case is fine.

The Calmini kit is built around the torque and stresses of 33" tires. For 35s you need to brace and upgrade all steering parts/mounts.

To keep performance near stock 4.9s are ideal for 33s.

#500339 - 02/01/08 01:54 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks guys. this is going to be my first project for a offrad vehical. ive done several restos and heavey mods on cars but never trucks. this is kind of a new world for me. any info is much needed and wanted.

ok i got a D44 for the front and im about to buy the calmini kit and ill be running 33's. whats the gearing on a stock D44 and would be a good idea to get a D44 for the rear as well? also would leaf springs or coil overs be better for up front?

#500340 - 02/01/08 02:13 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dana 44 for the rear:

Ok here is my opinion... The cost to regear the nissan axle is $500 just for gears. You can pick up a rear axle cheap and the gear for a dana are very cheap too. Nothing says you have to go with a dana44 either, Ford 8.8, Corporate 14 bolt, Dana 60...

Now you have the option to go with Chromo axles. You have more locker options like ARB, Detroit, OX. Deeper gears are now available too.

#500341 - 02/01/08 02:33 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info. so your saying a good combo would be a D44 up front and a D60 in the rear and its cheeper to regear a D60 and with that i get more options on wheels and lockers?

i think im going to go with changing the rear axle as well. i can get a D60 for cheep from a friend. what gearing do i need to go in the front and rear for the 33's?

#500342 - 02/01/08 03:43 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the end you're going to want to go bigger than 33's but 5.14's or better for gears should position you to do that once you run the first set of 33's off.

#500343 - 02/01/08 05:08 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
.....With 35s if you want to be able to drive on the highway you should re-gear to 5.14/5.13....
The highway driving will be fine as far as gear ratio goes. I've already driven mine all over CO and out to Moab. It's every bit as gutless as it was before! I would recommend the T-case gears for offroad, though. There are obstacles that are simply impossible without them.

#500344 - 02/01/08 05:21 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

D44 Ring & Pinon
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=3325

Nissan Ring & Pinon
http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop...ced04cab0e5c0ef

D60 Ring & Pinon
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=3741

These are all 5.13/5.14 to give you an idea of price.

For 33s you would want 4.88 to keep performance near stock. A D60 is kind of an overkill (lots of weight) but it is an option

#500345 - 02/01/08 10:06 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I don't see any reason to ditch the Nissan rear axle. The H233B is tough as nails.

My setup, for your reference is:
Calmini kit
3" body lift (from before the SAS... you don't need this if you're sticking with 33's)
35" tires
5.14 gears
ARB air lockers front and rear
Skid Row gas tank skidplate
Calmini front bumper
Shrockworks rock sliders
Homebrew steering system (the Calmini kit expects you to use the stock Jeep stuff and just provides a cheesy adapter to hook up the drag link to your Nissan pitman arm. Search this forum for "HD steering system" to find my thread about how I made it)

I think that's all the important stuff

#500346 - 03/01/08 06:36 AM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by akuria:
thanks for the info. so your saying a good combo would be a D44 up front and a D60 in the rear and its cheeper to regear a D60 and with that i get more options on wheels and lockers?

i think im going to go with changing the rear axle as well. i can get a D60 for cheep from a friend. what gearing do i need to go in the front and rear for the 33's?
That would not be a good idea. The D44 is 4 or 5 lug and the D60 will be 8-lug. That means you will need a different set of wheels for front and rear.

A major reason we use the 80's Waggy 44s is because (among other things) the bolt pattern matches the Nissan rear. For me that meant not having to regear or replace the rear end (which was a money-saver).

#500347 - 03/01/08 04:56 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks guys. i still have some more research to do but i know im going SAS with it.

#500348 - 03/01/08 05:51 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
Originally posted by akuria:
[b]thanks for the info. so your saying a good combo would be a D44 up front and a D60 in the rear and its cheeper to regear a D60 and with that i get more options on wheels and lockers?

That would not be a good idea. The D44 is 4 or 5 lug and the D60 will be 8-lug. That means you will need a different set of wheels for front and rear.

A major reason we use the 80's Waggy 44s is because (among other things) the bolt pattern matches the Nissan rear. For me that meant not having to regear or replace the rear end (which was a money-saver).[/b]
Why would you have to regear in the first place?

#500349 - 03/01/08 06:08 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stock Nissan X Gearing is 4.6 or 4.9 if you use most stock gearing in Dana axles it is almost always in the 3.?'s. If you run that gearing in your X your RPM will be through the roof to get at speed and not to mention your Speedo will be reading way off. So overall the performance will suck. wink

#500350 - 03/01/08 06:13 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh and the rear axle you should be concerned about matching the width of the Nissan axle you can get HD adapters to match the bolt patterns.

#500351 - 03/01/08 06:26 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Calmini SAS kit is intended for the 33" tires. If this is true, what are all the X owners doing with their kit when they run 35"s in regards to reinforcing the kit?

#500352 - 03/01/08 06:32 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The Calmini SAS kit is intended for the 33" tires. If this is true, what are all the X owners doing with their kit when they run 35"s in regards to reinforcing the kit?
Reinforcing the lower track bar mount and custom HD steering (tie rod & Drag link).

#500353 - 03/01/08 07:19 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok so ive got a stock D44. could i do a D44 for the rear as well? if so what would be the proper gearing need to be for a D44 in the front and back. andwhat would the geraing need to be if i went with D44 in the fron and the nissan in the back?

#500354 - 03/01/08 07:56 PM Re: good wheel and tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Quote:
[b]The Calmini SAS kit is intended for the 33" tires. If this is true, what are all the X owners doing with their kit when they run 35"s in regards to reinforcing the kit?
Reinforcing the lower track bar mount and custom HD steering (tie rod & Drag link).[/b]
I've seen custom set-ups for the HD steering, but how do you or anyone, reinforce the lower track bar?

Is this the only thing you have to do to make it the Cal kit work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal