Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98299 - 17/09/03 06:14 PM Snapping a tie rod
sandmanX Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest California

#98300 - 17/09/03 07:42 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
That looks like Bill Moore Lake trail in Colorado... any idea where it is ?

That's how to break shit. Just stand on the gas.

You can see the passenger side tire work its way around that rock and the inside sidewall gets traction, forcing the wheel inward. Very weird break.

#98301 - 19/09/03 09:34 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
R&R LOPEZ Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs (Security)
those H2's are just for show thats it nothing more another Soccer Mom truck laugh

FEAR NO ONE
RESPECT ALL

Life is but a Dream, Live it to its fullest!!!

#98302 - 22/09/03 05:37 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
How embarassing! [Uh Oh !]

#98303 - 02/10/03 08:19 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas

The guy ended up leaving it on the trail. Here are some pics someone else took that had to take the bypass to get around it.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#98304 - 02/10/03 08:20 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
That looks like Bill Moore Lake trail in Colorado... any idea where it is ?

That's how to break shit. Just stand on the gas.

You can see the passenger side tire work its way around that rock and the inside sidewall gets traction, forcing the wheel inward. Very weird break.
I believe that is the trial it was on from what I remember from the other forum.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#98305 - 02/10/03 08:27 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
XOC Offline
Admin

It's pretty sad really, a lot of 4X4s get vandalised here in Colorado if they are left on a trail.

The woman who runs traildamage.com left her Jeep in Left Hand Canyon outside Boulder for just a few hours to get parts to repair a break, and it had been worked over by the time she got back.

I hate rednecks frown

#98306 - 02/10/03 10:26 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Chato Offline

Loc: Orange, Tx
I snapped a tie rod once in Lake City, Colorado (actually it was on a trail above Lake City). I was in an old Willys and was stranded on the trail for 8 friggin hours. Horrible experience. I thought I was going to have to campout up there. And the flies! What's up with all the flies when you're in the mountains? I've never noticed them until I was stranded. I had to put a shirt on my head to keep those things out of my face. Of course, I had been camping and I probably already smelled like the crap they eat.

#98307 - 16/10/03 12:15 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont be knocking the H2 because of weak tie-rods. If I am correct, how many tie-rod upgrades AND steering system upgrades are available for hte Xterra??? Exactly.

#98308 - 16/10/03 12:22 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
Dont be knocking the H2 because of weak tie-rods. If I am correct, how many tie-rod upgrades AND steering system upgrades are available for hte Xterra??? Exactly.
Not too smart for a first post... how much does the friggin Hummer cost compared to the X? Exactly... What is being advertised as the best off road vehicle? the Hummer... Exactly... What vehicle is based on one of the greatest off-road vehicles ever built? The H2... Exactly... so shut up... :rolleyes:

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#98309 - 16/10/03 05:22 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where's that guy who always posts "owned!"? laugh

#98310 - 16/10/03 11:59 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
my friend was telling me of a pic floating around online of another h2 damage scene.
apparently what happened was a female teen was driving an h2 (on the street) and decided to hop a sidewalk at 40-50 mph. needless to say the wheel pretty much fell off. i haven't seen the pics so i don't know exactly what the damage was (axle break, etc) but apparently she was questioned about it and replied, "well i thought these things were made to offroad".

#98311 - 17/10/03 09:12 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The original thread is gone, but we talked about that here:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=005056

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#98312 - 17/10/03 11:06 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
I just looked under the front of a parked H2, I couldn't believe how wimpy the whole front end looked. The tie-rod diameters are about the same as an Xterra but are much longer, but they weight about a ton more than the X and with those huge tires, what a total poser piece of crap.
GM does it again.

edited to post this pic that shows the tie rod size. confused

#98313 - 17/10/03 12:36 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
You know what always makes me laugh is the tiny driveshafts (or whatever they are) on the back of CRVs.

#98314 - 17/10/03 01:51 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
You're an idiot. There and 2 complete steering replacements on the market from SLR and Calmini. Also Automotive Customizers sells beefier tie rod adjusters.

#98315 - 17/10/03 01:59 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
I think that was his point, Steve. That due to a vulnerable point on the X, the tie rods, replacement steering and tie rods had to be made available by the aftermarket.

Therefore, I think his thought was that we don't have a lot of room to talk on the tie rod issue when comparing the X to the H2.

I'd like to see tie rods like this available to us.

Heims and stout!

#98316 - 17/10/03 02:41 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aero Steve and Austin CBR or whatever ur name is. At one time I owned both an H2 AND an Xterra. 2003 H2 and 2003 X..check njax.org and go to photos and go to john b nj and ull see them both in my driveway. Well, the X ended up rolling, and now we have a new 04 Path and just sold the H2 for an 04 White H2. I must say, after having wheeled BOTH the X and the H2...the H2 is MUCH better than the X in stock configuration. Yes, the X did run through water coming over the hood, but it did struggle. The H2 on the other hand, did the same hole WHILE towing a trailer with 3 MX bikes, and was full of gear. On both vehicles, the tie rod design SUCKS, so dont be knocking the H2, the x is far from perfect too. Happy wheeling', Im always ready for some good Ol NJ Forked River Fun anytime...

#98317 - 17/10/03 04:27 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
I'd like to see tie rods like this available to us.

Heims and stout!
Heim joints are not designed as steering components, tie-rod joints are.

#98318 - 18/10/03 05:37 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Austin CBR or whatever ur name is.
Dude, if you can't use the freakin arrow key to find out my real screenname, don't talk to me.

Quote:
At one time I owned both an H2 AND an Xterra. 2003 H2 and 2003 X..check njax.org and go to photos and go to john b nj and ull see them both in my driveway. Well, the X ended up rolling, and now we have a new 04 Path and just sold the H2 for an 04 White H2. I must say, after having wheeled BOTH the X and the H2...the H2 is MUCH better than the X in stock configuration. Yes, the X did run through water coming over the hood, but it did struggle. The H2 on the other hand, did the same hole WHILE towing a trailer with 3 MX bikes, and was full of gear. On both vehicles, the tie rod design SUCKS, so dont be knocking the H2, the x is far from perfect too. Happy wheeling', Im always ready for some good Ol NJ Forked River Fun anytime...
I never argued that the H2 wasn't a more capable vehicle... My argument was that for over $50k it had better be! But the problem is that for that price you are getting many of the same weaknesses of the $20k Xterra... wassupwitdat?!?! And I never said the X was perfect, but as for bang for the buck, the X wins hands down... my .02

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#98319 - 18/10/03 08:48 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
on the H2 how can you market a product as the best offroad vehicle price it over $50grand and have no solid front axle?? an H2 to me is just overkill, you will never see one on the trails down here it wouldn't even fit. personally, no offense people, a jeep is still the best in almost every aspect as the true off-road vehicle, endless amount of upgrades available, stood the tests of time, and i've seen to many of them perform things that most of our x's will never be able to do. i'm not saying you have to own the best rig on the block to have bragging rights but jeez comparing the H2 to the X is apples and oranges. for $5K you could buy a used jeep that would outperform the H2 in every category but towing, although you would break down every other week wink

#98320 - 19/10/03 07:12 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
The H2 hummer is just an over priced chevy HD pickup with style. When you get over the fact that it has a Hummer badge, its not a real Hummer. The H2 gives the H1 hummers all day long, lol.

#98321 - 20/10/03 08:49 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by southernx7:
on the H2 how can you market a product as the best offroad vehicle price it over $50grand and have no solid front axle?? an H2 to me is just overkill, you will never see one on the trails down here it wouldn't even fit. personally, no offense people, a jeep is still the best in almost every aspect as the true off-road vehicle, endless amount of upgrades available, stood the tests of time, and i've seen to many of them perform things that most of our x's will never be able to do. i'm not saying you have to own the best rig on the block to have bragging rights but jeez comparing the H2 to the X is apples and oranges. for $5K you could buy a used jeep that would outperform the H2 in every category but towing, although you would break down every other week wink
I sat in a Rubicon at the State Fair yesterday briefly... both eyes fixed on the DIFF LOCK button (it will be mine... oh yes.. it will be mine (locking diff, not a Heep))... and started wondering if their repair department is flooded with people who flipped that switch while going 70 on the freeway because it started to sprinkle.

They need to make people take a short class before being allowed to purchase a 4WD vehicle - especially one with lockers.

Oh, and to the jerk who rolled an X, tried to drown it, and can't stop buying Hummers - I hate you.

#98322 - 20/10/03 10:56 AM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kaiser,
thanks buddy.

#98323 - 26/10/03 05:36 PM Re: Snapping a tie rod
Anonymous
Unregistered

The H2 is a 3/4 ton suburban with a body on it. If you threw some tires on the suburban it'd be just as capable and not nearly as ugly and be cheaper on top of it.
As for heeps, they aren't the best thing out there FROM THE FACTORY. The glory of, say the wrangler, isn't what it CAN do (which isn't much), it's what it can be MADE to do. Solid axles, leaf springs front and back, enough wheel opening to squeeze frickin huge tires in there w/o mods. They are atually very uncapable until you're willing to start putting money into it (which is why i'd never buy a new one). You can buy a used one, then once you have it ready to do what you want you're still at less than what a new one runs (for the most part). Bang for your buck the Xterra and the Wrangler Rubicon are the best off roaders out there, but they still don't compare to the old domestic 4x4's.

For example: I was reading an article when the Rubicon came out that was calling it's crawl ratio of 64:1 absolutely amazing. My '85 F-150 4x4 has ~77:1 from the factory and 9" clearance at the diff. even after throwing a set of meats on it my equivalent gearing still keeps it close to 70:1 with stock tires and puts me at about 12" at the diff. I have NEVER gotten that truck stuck EVER. Still haven't gotten the Xterra stuck, but i've only had it a couple weeks now, haven't had a chace to get it into the same stuff the Ford's been into. Somehow with it's ~40:1 reduction and lack of torque-relative to what i'm used to-i don't think it's going to be quite as capable, but it is a lot smaller so it is more practical for some of the places i go. No gasser can beat the 270 lbs of torque the 150 throws out at 1800 rpm, gotta love the 300-6 laugh

Justin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal