2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95580 - 06/01/06 08:25 AM I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was backing out of a parking spot in 4 hi then put it back in drive and cranked the wheel all the way right so I could pull out. The ground was covered in snow but as I was moving forward with the steering wheel turned the way it was I felt/heard a clunk/thump until the steering wheel was straight again. Can anyone tell me what I was hearing? Should I keep it in 2wd if I have to crank the steering wheel like that even though it was a snowy surface?

#95581 - 06/01/06 10:29 AM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
This is kind of basic information that you can find on the site with some research on 4WD and how it works.

In short, you were binding up the gears which is not a good thing.

Example: with the wheel turned all the way to the right, your left front wheel will rotate more than the right front wheel. Since they are "connected" and should rotate at the same RPM in 4WD, the axle will bind up on you and make that noise - or just break.

I would think that your manual should have this information - just don't have mine in front of me to tell you the proper section.

More information here .

#95582 - 06/01/06 11:41 AM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. Although I don't think I "broke" anything, in the future I will either make sure I'm in 2wd or back up far enough so I don't have to yank the steering wheel so far to pull out.

#95583 - 06/01/06 01:09 PM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
Geezzz...
I helped a Yankees fan?

#95584 - 10/01/06 08:34 PM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shame on you. laugh

#95585 - 16/01/06 04:15 PM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Anonymous
Unregistered

This actually happens to me sometimes, and I am always in 2wd. When I'm backing out, it feels as if I ran over something when I didn't frown . I've been kinda worried about it since the first time it has happened, sometimes it will make a "clumping" sound or almost like a "scraping" sound, but not all the time. confused

#95586 - 17/01/06 05:29 AM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine does that sometimes too & i think its just the steering stops catching & making noise when moving up & down. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

#95587 - 16/09/06 08:01 PM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by CSH SE/SC:
This actually happens to me sometimes, and I am always in 2wd. When I'm backing out, it feels as if I ran over something when I didn't frown . I've been kinda worried about it since the first time it has happened, sometimes it will make a "clumping" sound or almost like a "scraping" sound, but not all the time. confused
Dragging up and old thread - but...

Check the inside edges of your drivers side front tire when you have the wheel turned to the right. You might find your tire is rubbing against the shield for the brake lines.

#95588 - 29/09/06 03:38 PM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in snow country and have had this happen a time or two. On dry pavement, in 4Hi, bad things can happen. As stated, broken metals parts may present themselves. However on snow, more than a half inch or so, the tire will have enough traction, but then will let loose with a clanking and a thump. On less than a half inch, keep in 2wd unless needed, or bad things can happen. Also, when in 2wd and cranking the wheel, the linkage and suspension will sometimes buckle and make noises as vehicle weight shifts. Very common, should be no problem. If it's very loud; though, have it checked for wear.

#95589 - 02/10/06 03:37 PM Re: I had my steering wheel turned quite a bit...
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, i haven't noticed this since i posted it...go figure. i actually think it was ice in my drive way i was driving over when i thought i wasn't. but it does happen sometimes when i'm in 4wd...i'm not worried about it anymore.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal