2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#413415 - 15/11/02 08:14 PM Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
ofacela Offline

Ahhh, don't reply to this post if your comment doesn't pertain to Supercharged Xterra's. There has been too much confusion on exhaust compatibility with Supercharged and Non-Supercharged Xterras. I think a lot of owners will atest to this.

Please include a link if you wish to share information about a particular exhaust system.

Comments on Calimini, Borla, Gibson, Nissan Sport, HKS, others, custom? Pros/Cons, personal details. Prices?

Also, research your comments based on placement with and without a tow package. That's it.

#413416 - 22/11/02 03:50 AM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
DessertMulisha Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
First, I must appologise due to the fact that this post is relatively off topic. The only comment that I can make on the "best" aftermarket exhaust for the SC is this: I previously ran a Borla on my X and found it to make very little, if no difference, aside from the attractive tone. In fact, I have friends with Xterras who run rather illegal exhaust modifications, i.e. a completely hollow (fiberbglassless) exhaust, which they claim noticeably raises the HP.
So to the question... When running such a setup, it is essentially the same as running with a cut-off (no exhaust at all), which terminates at the connection before the exhaust's location. Is there really anything benneficial to running a cut-off? In other words, would removing the muffler entirely raise HP? I am under the impression the a certain amout of pressure build up(backpressure), due to a muffler, is essential to the exhaust flow. I am aware of both the legallity and environmental issues brought into play by such a modification but this is just hypothetical... Any insight?

#413417 - 22/11/02 06:47 PM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by DessertMulisha:
In fact, I have friends with Xterras who run rather illegal exhaust modifications, i.e. a completely hollow (fiberbglassless) exhaust, which they claim noticeably raises the HP.
So to the question... When running such a setup, it is essentially the same as running with a cut-off (no exhaust at all), which terminates at the connection before the exhaust's location.
If I am understanding you correctly here you are referring to installing a cutout that bypasses the muffler only. In that case anything that causes turbulence in the exhaust stream causes a loss of flow, and a straight through muffler will probably restrict the flow the same amount as a cutout valve with a few necessary bends.

In other words cut-out or straight-through muffler are too similar in performace for this application to make a noticable difference.

Quote:
Is there really anything benneficial to running a cut-off? In other words, would removing the muffler entirely raise HP?
Not necessarly. I tried a straight-through no my truck before setttling for a turbo muffler. The straight through muffler sounded crappy, and there was no discernable difference between it and the current turbo muffler.

If you are going from a mega-restrictive muffler to a "performance" muffler of a good quality, you will feel a difference. The results between two different performance mufflers, at the power levels existant in the X, I doubt you would be able to feel a discernable difference

Quote:
I am under the impression the a certain amout of pressure build up(backpressure), due to a muffler, is essential to the exhaust flow. I am aware of both the legallity and environmental issues brought into play by such a modification but this is just hypothetical... Any insight?
Backpressure is essential for a proper amount of heat to be kept in the combustion chambers after the cylinder fires. This is also how Nissan controls the emissions without an EGR (and also the reason people *theorize that upgraded exhausts cause more emissions).

Typically a loss of backpressure results in lower torque at lower RPM's. I doubt the resulting power loss in an SC would be greatly noticable as the combustion process is aided by the positive airbox pressure. As well if you leave the catalytic convertors installed there should be ample backpressure.

There are no environmental issues in regard to removing the muffler (other than noise pollution).

#413418 - 23/11/02 03:05 AM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
DessertMulisha Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
Thank you very much for such an extensive and comprehensive reply. That completely answered my question.

#413419 - 25/11/02 01:30 PM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
imloony Offline

Loc: Poconos, PA
i just had the nissan "sport" exhaust installed at my local dealer. it sounds much better, and it may be wishful thinking, but it seems i get better mileage, maybe 2 or 3 more mpg. feels slightly more powerful too, mostly during merge and passing manuevers. from what i'm told, though, the price is very steep compared to aftermarket.

#413420 - 04/12/02 07:06 AM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
Silent Thunder Offline

Loc: 297 feet up (Los Angeles)
Yes, the Nissan exhaust is VERY pricey compared to other exhaust systems.

I just found out, though, that the HKSuv exhaust for the Xterra will not fit the S/C model (at least that's what one company told me via e-mail; haven't spoken directly with HKS). frown

So I second the initial question in this post with some modification:

WHAT EXHAUST(S) WILL FIT THE SUPERCHARGED XTERRA?

WHAT ABOUT ONE WITH A TOW HITCH?

Thanks. cool

#413421 - 04/12/02 08:24 AM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
The S/C uses a slipjoint after the Y-pipe where the normally aspirated trucks have a flange. Calmini sells an exhaust for the S/C that is the same as their NA exhaust, but include an adapter. I installed it and it sounds nice and mellow, not overpowering. Power seemed to improve slightly and I didn't notice a loss in fuel economy.

#413422 - 04/12/02 10:06 AM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
Silent Thunder Offline

Got a message from HKS. They don't know whether it will fit or not - they have never test fit the exhaust on the S/C Xterra. eek

#413423 - 05/12/02 08:32 AM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
Silent Thunder Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
The S/C uses a slipjoint after the Y-pipe where the normally aspirated trucks have a flange.
I'm assuming slipjoint = u-bolt. confused
Another member indicated there was a u-bolt following the "Y" instead of a flange. confused

Anyway, is that the only difference with the exhaust on the S/C compared to a non-S/C V6?

Any piping size difference or is it all the same expect for the connection point?

Thanks for any info. cool

#413424 - 05/12/02 10:00 AM Re: Exhausts for Supercharged Xterra's ONLY
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
The slipjoint does have an exhaust clamp (looks similar to a ubolt) around it. The Calmini exhaust uses the exact same pipes and muffler for either S/C or NA. I've installed the S/C on mine and helped a friend install the NA version on his truck. They just add the adapter to the S/C kit. The tubing diameter didn't seem to be much larger than the stock S/C exhaust, but the muffler is supposed to be considerably less restrictive.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal