Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406871 - 20/01/03 12:45 PM SLR's bored out throtle body
Solar Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Have any of you guys had the SLR large bore throtle body done to your X's ??
If so how were the results? any problems ?
Any and all throughts would be appreiciated.
By the way YES I know SLR recommends it with their cams and larger exhaust BUT again I am asking for good/bad feedback on this modification.
Thanks

#406872 - 20/01/03 03:30 PM Re: SLR's bored out throtle body
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
The only experience I've had has been with Jackel's X which had the throttle body, cams, exhaust, IV air filter and a remapped computer.

It hauled a$$. I wouldn't expect much gains without the cams since that's what is ultimately controlling how long the valves are open and how much air can get into the cylinders.

#406873 - 21/01/03 08:24 AM Re: SLR's bored out throtle body
liv Offline

Loc: Hull, Quebec
I dont think you would see a big dif. at all.

They can only shave a bit off since its soo thin allready.

Unless someone can actually provide me with some big cc ( volume ) change in it.. then I dont see the point.

I changed my air intake.. that make a dif.
I added a poweraid thingy... did'nt do much.

just my opinion.

liv

#406874 - 30/01/03 12:09 PM Re: SLR's bored out throtle body
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I bored out the throttle body on my old XJ with a dremel and a flap wheel. I saw the idea on a site, and was reluctant at first. Once I pulled it apart, and found out where to mill away without effecting the throttle plate it was just a matter of patients. I am going to look at the 3.3 plate on my X to see if the design lends itself to the same treatment, and if so I will give it a try.
Now about the results...granted this is on another engine but, instant, seat of the pants, no sh!t, actual results. The vehicle had a stock exhaust, and was lifted with larger tires. It did have a conical K&N intake. I would do it again in a heart beat. I rarely open the throttle up on my vehicles, but one day in the middle of a passing situation, the wife was giving me sh!t because I wasn't passing fast enough. So I obliged her request with a lot of throttle and that is where it really came alive! I can only imagine with an aftermarket exhaust.
Again the X is different. It may not lend itself to the idea without manufacuturing a throttle plate, which is above my tools and abilities. I will pull the throttle plate and look at it from the rear, if its a go, I'll keep you posted as to the results.
BTW...I did have a small amount of whistle when the throttle was open to a certain point. Not annoying, but noticeable. It was quiet enough so that you couldn't hear it when I put the stock airbox back on before getting rid of the truck.

#406875 - 31/01/03 09:23 AM Re: SLR's bored out throtle body
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I was thinking about performing this mod myself. In addition, since I'm still running the stock air box, I've noticed the screen (to smooth the air flow?) seems to be a major restriction in itself. Back when I had my 2000 Grand Am GT, removing this "screen" was a popular mod, with marked improvment in performance (with dyno results to prove it). I wonder...

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#406876 - 02/02/03 02:27 PM Re: SLR's bored out throtle body
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I took a look at the throttle body from the back side. While there is room enough to bore it out with anticipated positive results...the dremel trick (or drum sander) isn't precise enough. It would require a new throttle plate, and actual machine equipment. I guess $200 is the going rate. Seems a little over priced, but who else are you going to go to?

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal