Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#415151 - 08/03/03 03:50 AM What is your opinion/expertise of this?
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
See link below...

Will this work with the K&N Aircharger system instead of the factory?

Sorry, can't get it to link correctly. Just Cut and paste the link.

#415152 - 08/03/03 06:18 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Well as far as performance wise I really don't think it'll gain ya much....But I have read from a few people that run these on other forums that it produces an annoying whistle/whine when your driving down the street and it doesn't sound lie a superchager type whine...I personally would just save my cash...

#415153 - 08/03/03 06:25 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
H ere\'s the link .

I thought the Aircharger already superceded the AirRaid?

#415154 - 09/03/03 05:25 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Rob Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA,USA
This is the worst sort of "magic beans". You would probably do better by cutting a hole in a stack of 97 dollar bills and bolting those between the throttle body and the manifold.

The velocity of the flow of air through the intake is generated by the speed of the intake valve's opening. There is a relationship between the speed of the piston moving down the cylinder and the speed of the intake valve opening. Part of this complex relationship is governed by the ramp of the cam. The valve doesn't open in a direct relationship to the travel of the piston. The curve of the ramp on the cam causes the valve action to be nonlinear in relation to the travel of the piston.

All things being equal, the faster the engine is running the higher the intake velocity will be. The relative distance from the beginning of the intake, the top of the throttle body, and the end of the intake, the valve opening, has little to do with the efficiency of the engine. If the intake distance is overly long there will be losses to efficiency.

The job of the throttle body is to mix air and vaporized gasoline into a combustable mixture. It's a much less efficient method than direct injection, but it's also less expensive.

Adding a spacer to change the intake length will do little to increase torque, as it doesn't actually change the curve of the cam lobes or the timing of the ignition spark.

The only way a spacer could increase fuel efficiency is if the spacer includes some sort of mind control device.

This product will do no more to improve the drivability, efficiency or power of you vehicle than window tinting will. Save your money.

You may have noticed a complete lack of objective information or test results to back up the silly claims of this product.

#415155 - 09/03/03 05:48 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Well said Rob.

'Unique Air Swirling Effect!' my ass.

#415156 - 09/03/03 06:18 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Walrus Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
This would only work if something was pushing the air.. like in a gun. The longer the barrel, the longer the gunpowder explosion is behind the bullet, transferring more energy to the bullet, increasing it's speed. Same as stroking a motor..

#415157 - 09/03/03 09:13 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Thanks guys. I'm gonna take all the advice and pull that "mod" off the list then. Guess I'll stick with the Aircharger and soon to be cat back system for power gains.

#415158 - 10/03/03 10:08 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Not quite true. There comes a point where the pressure behind the bullet (in my case paintball) cannot keep up with the expanding space between the bullet and the back of the gun. There's a maximum effective barrel length. Anything OVER that can cause things to SLOW down due to friction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Walrus:
This would only work if something was pushing the air.. like in a gun. The longer the barrel, the longer the gunpowder explosion is behind the bullet, transferring more energy to the bullet, increasing it's speed. Same as stroking a motor..

#415159 - 10/03/03 12:40 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
'Unique Air Swirling Effect!' my ass.
When my ass makes a "Unique Air Swirling Effect" it is accompanied by an odd noise and an odor? Is this something I should see my dealer about?

laugh
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#415160 - 10/03/03 01:22 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Quote:
[b]'Unique Air Swirling Effect!' my ass.
When my ass makes a "Unique Air Swirling Effect" it is accompanied by an odd noise and an odor? Is this something I should see my dealer about?

laugh
Brent[/b]
Deffinetly wink [Laughing]

#415161 - 10/03/03 01:23 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Walrus:
Bullshit. If this logic were true, then a mile long barrel could propel a bullet into space! Think about this logically, if a barrel were long enough (say it was feasible to manufacture a 25 mile long barrel), then the explosion would completely dissipate and the bullet would "plop" out onto the ground a few feet in front of the tip of the barrel.

Longer barrels are for more accuracy. NOT power. Longer barrels allow the rifling grooves to make a better impression to get the bullet spinning so it won't "wiffle" through the air at the target.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#415162 - 10/03/03 05:32 PM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Walrus Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
While your reply is true, it was more bullshit than mine. For every explanation, there is someone just waiting to twist it to the extreme. I forgot I need to explain everything down to the last detail, so someone won't jump in and attempt to make everyone else look like a moron.

It was a comparison. Now here is a proper explanation. If the barrel is short (handgun) and the bullet leaves the barrel with less energy than is left in the explosion, a longer barrel will increase the speed of the bullet.. up until the point where the energy in the bullet and in the explosion are equal.

I was thinking logically, and didn't feel the need to explain the extremes, but thanks for doing that for me.

#415163 - 15/03/03 01:09 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
couchpotato Offline

Loc: washington state
so that tornado thingy on tv is bs also?
I have heard of people swearing by them?
-Rob

#415164 - 15/03/03 03:53 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by couchpotato:
I have heard of people swearing by them?
Yes, they say things like...
'This piece of shit doesn't work.' and...
'I can't believe I paid money for this fucker.'

Rule of thumb.
If you saw it on an infomercial, it's crap.

#415165 - 15/03/03 03:55 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by couchpotato:
[b]I have heard of people swearing by them?
Yes, they say things like...
'This piece of shit doesn't work.' and...
'I can't believe I paid money for this fucker.'

Rule of thumb.
If you saw it on an infomercial, it's crap.[/b]
Even those food-dehydrator thingys?? Damn.

#415166 - 15/03/03 05:11 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Preacher Offline

Loc: Tennessee
My 2 cents. Iraqis big gun is capable of hurling a nuclear bomb 500 miles. The longer the barrel the more bullet speed. Long barrel ? you could shot the moon. You have to spin not push. The more spin the better. The more spin the less powder.

#415167 - 15/03/03 06:03 AM Re: What is your opinion/expertise of this?
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
But we're talking about shells the size of the Xterra pushed by high explosives vs. air pulled through a tube increased in length by under 5 or 10%. I think there's a big difference. Honestly, until someone shows me a dyno-proven difference that is beyond simple statistical deviation, I am not going to recommend a product like that.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal