2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#416089 - 22/10/03 01:28 PM fuel injection service
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
X is running a little sluggish, dealer recommended having the fuel injection serviced. Is something I should have done and whats included, quote was for about 150.00-200.00, or is dealer full a shit. Btw I am at about 50k miles

#416090 - 22/10/03 01:51 PM Re: fuel injection service
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
The fuel injection service USUALLY includes running a cleaning solution through the injectors, and in some circumstances cleaning the carbon from the intake manifold.

However, since the X doesn't use an EGR (if memory serves correctly) there is a low propensity for carbon in the intake.

Cleaning the injectors can help with performance and driveability complaints. As well a plugged fuel or air filter might cause the same complaints...have those been checked recently?

#416091 - 22/10/03 03:01 PM Re: fuel injection service
buffalo Offline

thanx, air filter was changed with previous scheduled maintenance, as for the fuel filter I rememeber with my last truck that the truck did not compltelely stall but did more of a shutter when my fuel filter was plugged. I don't think thats the problem just lack of power, more than before.

#416092 - 22/10/03 04:23 PM Re: fuel injection service
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Jaime,

You might want to try running a can of BG44 fuel injector cleaner through first and see if that doesn't help...it usually does. It's a little hard to find and is about $20 a can, but it's great stuff. I can get it down here if you can't find it and send it/give it to you. I'll be in LA over Halloween weekend if you want to meet up. Let me know.

- Christian

#416093 - 22/10/03 11:22 PM Re: fuel injection service
gmann Offline

Loc: san jose, CA
where did you find BG44 in san diego? thanks.

#416094 - 23/10/03 06:48 AM Re: fuel injection service
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The X DOES use an EGR valve, there was just a period during the 2000 production where it was dropped, but it was resumed sometime into the 2001 production.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#416095 - 23/10/03 06:58 AM Re: fuel injection service
krisjon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gmann:
Ancient Chinese secret
laugh
One of the dealers sells it in the parts department -but they don't ship.

#416096 - 23/10/03 07:48 AM Re: fuel injection service
buffalo Offline

thanx Christian, Halloween weekend, business or pleasure. Let me know if you want to get together. Let me see if I can find that stuff here in LA if not then I might take you up on the offer.

#416097 - 23/10/03 11:13 AM Re: fuel injection service
gmann Offline

kris: which dealer is it? i live in san diego now or at least until i'm done with school. thanks.

#416098 - 24/10/03 07:41 AM Re: fuel injection service
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Might be $20 to your door from here? WEBPAGE=These guys ship it

#416099 - 24/10/03 10:55 AM Re: fuel injection service
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by bonesnTX:
Might be $20 to your door from here? WEBPAGE=These guys ship it
FYI - Price is $22.80 for them to ship it to me in NC.

#416100 - 24/10/03 11:25 AM Re: fuel injection service
Solar Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Quote:
Try any auto dealer, Nissan, Infinity, Lexus, Toyota, etc.
Try the high end ones first, just call the parts department and ask if they sell BG44 .... that's it !

#416101 - 25/10/03 07:33 AM Re: fuel injection service
blizzard Offline

Loc: Yarnell, AZ.
Try running through a bottle of Redline SI 1 fuel injector cleaner with your next fill-up.
Several people I know swear by the stuff.

#416102 - 25/10/03 06:14 PM Re: fuel injection service
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe you can try Supreme gas if your using regular. If you have Chevron in your area much better, they have good additives. I normally recommend to my friends and clients to used 2 full tank of Chevron Supreme just clean out the deposits that build up overtime in your engine. If that doesn't work some fuel injector might do or new spark plugs might help. Last resort is to visit the shop.

#416103 - 27/10/03 09:56 AM Re: fuel injection service
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Running a higher octane gas won't do a damn thing to clean the engine any better than the usual grade, unless of course the brand actually puts extra stuff in the higher-octane grade to use it as a selling point to get people to waste their money and put in "better" gas they don't need.
Use a fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron (concentrate, not the other formulations) or BG44K periodically, that's all you need.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#416104 - 27/10/03 09:56 PM Re: fuel injection service
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chevron Supreme already have the Techron. It's also the selling point to buy the higher octane. I only used it for additional cleaning than buying the concentrate.

#416105 - 28/10/03 01:32 PM Re: fuel injection service
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Anyone know if they have this stuff here in Canada? (the BG44)

BTW, I read in some artical that all grades of gasoline contain the same amounts of additives. But the stations draw these confusing little pictures to trick your into buying higher octane. Still, I don't think the minimum amound of stuff they have in Chevron (or Petrol Canada) will do much against a plugged injector.

My X is running fine but my 86 Camry needs a injector clean bad!

#416106 - 28/10/03 01:37 PM Re: fuel injection service
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Cheveron puts Techron in all their grades of gas. So you can stick with regular and still get Techron.

If you really feel the need buy can buy Cheveron Techron at some cheveron stations, and most auto parts stores, Checker/Kragen, Auto Zone, etc.

Xterra101.com

#416107 - 29/10/03 05:13 PM Re: fuel injection service
Anonymous
Unregistered

True, Chevron puts Techron on all their gas. More on the higher octane gas they claimed. Not sure of the amount of additives. Who knows maybe we're not getting the right amount of octane too.
You can used chevron techron concentrate if you need to, I haven't seen BG44 in Vancouver. My co-employee who have a 92 camry use Petro-can midgrade, because it's sluggish on regular. Service on the fuel injector didn't help him.

#416108 - 29/10/03 09:15 PM Re: fuel injection service
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Speaking of pictures at gas stations trying to sell you something...

I stopped and filled up at a Chevron tonight and saw the wonderful "clean intake vavle (with techron) and dirty intake valve (without)" propaganda.

Remember, it is for the most part just that (Propaganda if you weren't following).

I have worked internally on enough engines to know, and I never have seen a valve in the poor condition they show on any reasonably maintained, decent running engine. To me that picture looks like a valve guide seal leak, with oil running down the stem.

The last time I checked no fuel addative could fix that problem!

The dirty fuel injector thing is another thing, with a properly maintained fuel system (utilizing clean fuel, and maintaining service intervals for fuel filter replacement) you should never in normal service (100K+ miles) see an injector with that poor atomization.

Sure injectors can suffer that condition, but under what circumstances. HMMMMMMMM, don't think there's a slant to the advertising is there?

If anyone would like I can show some real motivating pictures of worn valve seats, and maybe you would like to buy "buffered" valve springs smile

#416109 - 30/10/03 06:18 PM Re: fuel injection service
krisjon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gmann:
kris: which dealer is it? i live in san diego now or at least until i'm done with school. thanks.
Sorry, man...was out of town.

Mossy El Cajon has it.

#416110 - 01/11/03 04:59 PM Re: fuel injection service
gmann Offline

krisjon: thanks..i'll stop by there tomorrow and try it out.

#416111 - 01/11/03 10:09 PM Re: fuel injection service
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know it's been a while since you're initial post, but since I just went through the same thing, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. I have a friend who is a Nissan mechanic, and has a really good machine for cleaning the injectors. I was at his shop yesterday working on some other things, so I went ahead and hooked it up and let it run for about an hour. My vehicle has 75k miles, and I was shocked at how much crap got blown out of the exhaust. The system hooks into the fuel in and out on the injector rails, and your x will run off the machine instead of its own gas tank for about 30-45 minutes. The machine will have some high octane fuel mixed with other potent chemicals designed for cleaning injectors. My X ran like new again after the service, and I would definitely recommend it if you have the money(coming from someone that got it for cost: $25 in chemicals). This is the same thing that the dealer is quoting you for, and that is approximately the going rate for the injector flush. You can find it as low as $75, but I don't really know if they will do as good of a job, or let the machine run as long as the dealer would. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that the cleanout does work.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal