Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405748 - 05/08/03 12:36 PM Volant intake
smooth Offline

Loc: Tucson,az
Volant makes an intake for our car. I had no idea. I wonder how long is has been out. It looks like a good cold air design. Im sure many people who our worried about heat soak and water contact will like it. What do you guys think.

http://www.volantperformance.com/Products/vtrucklist_files/12633/12633.htm

cool

#405749 - 05/08/03 12:37 PM Re: Volant intake
smooth Offline

intake

sorry

#405750 - 05/08/03 03:33 PM Re: Volant intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by smooth:
Volant makes an intake for our car. I had no idea. I wonder how long is has been out. It looks like a good cold air design. Im sure many people who our worried about heat soak and water contact will like it. What do you guys think.

cool
I hate to be the first to say it but...I don't think that it will work 'cause I drive a truck

On a more serious note, I don't know how it would work out, but it looks kinda cool. I will still have to stick with my Airaid.

#405751 - 05/08/03 04:19 PM Re: Volant intake
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It looks like it requires cutting sheet metal.
The oval end looks like it would fit into the left fender well where the current intake is, and the sound deadening tubing goes into the fender.

#405752 - 05/08/03 11:44 PM Re: Volant intake
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Hmmm...link it to large diameter (for good flow) snorkel plumbing & that would be my ideal intake setup ("true" cold air, high flow, deep water crossing ability). Converting that funky oval inlet to round pipe would be challenging.
I'm curious as to the largest diameter piping that can fit in the fender....

#405753 - 06/08/03 01:15 AM Re: Volant intake
smooth Offline

The problem with this intake is what? Can someone tell me the major differences to why the K&N or airaid is better. For one the Airid use stock bottom half of the air box. Is is still going to draw some air from the stock location. The K&N use a heat sheild and a rubber seal for the hood. I must admit that the K&N intake might be better than this Volant intake. Also how do you figure that u will have to cut sheet metal. If you look at the install pic the oval opening is simple where the intake will dram colder air from the fender than the hot ass engine bay. The rubber end im sure is to create a better seal for colder air. So if there is anyone out there that can give me a logical reason as why is intake is not good besides "I drive a truck " I might actually listent to what you have to say.

#405754 - 06/08/03 05:01 AM Re: Volant intake
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by smooth:
Can someone tell me the major differences to why the K&N or airaid is better.
I don't think they are...

#405755 - 06/08/03 08:29 AM Re: Volant intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not sure that anyone here has yet to say that either the K&N or the Airaid is better than the intake your are proposing. It may very well be that it just has yet to be used by anyone on XOC. Why not throw it on your X and tell us how it worked out? The only thing that may pose a problem, like others have said, is the oval tube. The factory placement is for the intake is round.

#405756 - 06/08/03 09:14 AM Re: Volant intake
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Well i gave up and done some search about it around googled resources. Here are certain parts

"On the cold air kits (K&N Gen-II, Volant, Intense, and QuickD), they help out much more since they have the capability of isolating the intake system from hot air. (This is done by pulling the cooler air from either the front grill area or fender.) The only one that works properly by isolating the cone is the K&N (and the Mopar...same manufacturer...different sticker)."

" Many tests have proven there is a mere 5 degree rise over ambient temp under a vehicle hood while moving. Tests have also proven it takes 11 degree rise in temp to lose 1 HP."

I am not saying Volant sucks, there seems to be many happy customers, i am just hitting "search" button and reading.

So if you will put Volant in - please let us all know how it went.

#405757 - 06/08/03 09:38 AM Re: Volant intake
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Didn't somebody here put temp sensors in the engine compartment and read the changes in temperature stopped and moving, and it pretty much reinforced the 5 degree or less difference when moving.

It think cold air intakes are more for the street racers, our engines don't bennefit as much.

Xterra101.com

#405758 - 08/08/03 11:59 AM Re: Volant intake
XOC Offline
Admin

I will (should) have an install and review of the Volant intake shortly after GOX.

#405759 - 10/08/03 09:25 AM Re: Volant intake
x2see Offline

Loc: Independance mo usa
my air raid has a heat shild and a ruber piece that molds to the hood when closed. any body see a price I cant fine one.

#405760 - 17/08/03 06:20 PM Re: Volant intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Same here,
I have the AIRaid intake and couldn't be more happy. Its a well thought out design and fairly easy to install. I have a 03 SE so had to use the provided heatshield extention to allow for proper contouring of the hoods shape.
Take care and Aloha [Wave]

#405761 - 26/08/03 01:53 AM Re: Volant intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
I will (should) have an install and review of the Volant intake shortly after GOX.
What, and when, is GOX?

#405762 - 26/08/03 05:00 AM Re: Volant intake
XChosen Offline

Loc: Mustang, OK
It's the Gathering Of Xterra heald in Ouray Colorado. Go here

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/gox/

and then check out the forum area here

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html

#405763 - 27/08/03 01:50 PM Re: Volant intake
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:

I'll be very interested to see your write-up Ian. Volant is the only TRUE cold air induction (compared to the Airaid or K&N). Those other systems just have a "wall" around their filters. I sent an email to those guy's about a year ago begging them to offer one for the Xterra, but they never replied. Does anyone know what the cost is?

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#405764 - 06/09/03 01:03 PM Re: Volant intake
c.chang Offline

Loc: Northern, VA
According to Valant, there isn t one for the X. but on the website, there is a part number. With the part number on the web, they gave me another part number that superceeds the non existant part. Make sense? [Huh?]

#405765 - 07/09/03 11:11 PM Re: Volant intake
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I have yet to see anywhere selling these for an Xterra. If anyone runs accross any, be sure to post.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#405766 - 18/09/03 01:52 PM Re: Volant intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any update on that review for the Volant?

#405767 - 18/09/03 07:00 PM Re: Volant intake
XOC Offline
Admin

Still waiting for it to arrive.
They asked if I received it. I replied "Nope."
Haven't heard anything in a week.

#405768 - 19/09/03 12:20 AM Re: Volant intake
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I tried sending Volant an email through their info@volantperformance.com address and it got bumped back. The "address failed", which sounds like it doesn't exist at this point in time...

#405769 - 21/09/03 03:40 PM Re: Volant intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any new opinions on the intakes mentioned here?\

I have a friend who was pestering me about getting something like this and a nice new exhaust. He's very knowledgable about such things, and I would like to play with the X a little and make it my own. I've never had a reason to take such a big interest in these things though, and I know *nothing* about where to start. Just looking around now and stumbled across this thread by searching...

Thanks for any info guys! [Wave]

#405770 - 22/09/03 09:33 PM Re: Volant intake
Murray Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
I followed the link and found that Volant is in the 909 area code of California. I, unfortunately, live in the 909 area code of California and I can't wait to get out of here. This place has the biggest collection of idiots of any place that I have ever lived. people have commented that the website links don't work right, e-mail gets returned and people at Volant don't follow through. That's the way these boneheads, here in the oxymoron called the Inland Empire, are. Once I get out, I'll never come back and never do business with them.

#405771 - 22/09/03 11:04 PM Re: Volant intake
XOC Offline
Admin

I got a hold of them pretty easily.

#405772 - 02/10/03 11:03 AM Re: Volant intake
ec Offline

Loc: Mile High...
Quote:
I got a hold of them pretty easily.
Ian, Any update on if/when you are going to receive their intake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal