2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406272 - 28/02/05 11:29 PM OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
up4speed Offline

Loc: Lake Grove, NY
I ordered a K&N FIPK and I am going to compliment it with the Gibson cat back exhaust. I just want to know if you guys think I should get the aluminized one, or is it worth $100 more dollars for the stainless steel one? I think I am leaning towards the stainless b/c I will never have to worry about it ever again. Am I on track here, or will I never have to worry about the aluminized one either? Also for you people that did it already, did you get any rattles or other problems from the install? I know that sometimes w/aftermarket items, they don't fit perfect, and you have some problems with noises etc.?

#406273 - 01/03/05 05:41 AM Re: OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
njs1stlt Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
FYI Gibson is good stuff but only the Muffler itself is T_304 SS, the pipes are a good but lesser quality 409L SS. If you want something that you never have to worry about go with the Borla Catback 100% T-304 SS it was easy as hell to install (at least for a 2000), on the flip side getting the old one off was a PITA. Good Luck either way.

#406274 - 01/03/05 05:45 AM Re: OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went the Borla route, and an AirRaid cold air intake.

#406275 - 02/03/05 12:00 PM Re: OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
up4speed Offline

For those of you who did a cat back system. How did the old system come out? were you able to pull it straight out the back? I am asking because I have it in a garage, and I only have about 2 feet on either side of the vehicle to work with. If it comes out by swinging it sideways, I have to know, so I don't try and do it in the garage. Thanks in advance!!! BTW, I went with the K&N FIPK, and the Gibson SS Cat Back. I am just waiting for them to arrive!!!

#406276 - 05/03/05 04:15 AM Re: OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Two feet on either side might be enough room to work with . I did my in the parkng lot of the naval base with basic tools and love it ever since. Complimented with KandN filterbox replacement kit. Same day same same basic tools . The previous posts are dead on with the T304

#406277 - 06/03/05 09:34 PM Re: OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Good choice on the SS Gibson. The issue with the quality of the stainless is only valid if you really care what it looks like under the truck. It will turn brown, but it won't rust through. I live in de-icer/salt hell and the whole bottom of my truck is brown, so I don't care about the exhaust and the Gibson has held up just fine. I couldn't care less about the visual appeal of my trucks asshole.

Not that it matters at this point, but the aluminized is not recommended because if the coating gets chipped off then the pipes rust through, and I don't know about you, but I don't want an exhaust pipe on a 4WD that can't take hits from rocks, sand, whatever.

As for installation, IIRC I pulled the factory exhaust straight out the back. It was pretty easy; no need to jack up the truck or anything.

#406278 - 06/03/05 10:02 PM Re: OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Good choice on getting the SS Gibson,especially living in NY where you get snow..It'll last ya.. wink

#406279 - 07/03/05 07:21 AM Re: OK, I decided to get the gibson exhaust....but which one should I get?
up4speed Offline

Thanks for the supoport guys!! now I just have to wait until it comes in on Wed. When I find time to install it, I will write back with an impression of it, so I can hopefully help others with their decision as well.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal