Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#409014 - 04/04/05 09:25 AM poor results after replacing filter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I replaced the stock air filter in my '05 X with K&N's high performance drop in replacement replacement filter. Now my truck feels "off". The engine feels a bit sluggish at lower rps, and then gets a sudden surge of power when accelerating...almost like a turbocharged engine does. Is this behavior to be expected? I figured the oxygen sensors would automatically detect increased O2 levels and the ECU would adjust fuel flow accordingly. Would disconnecting the battery overnight to let the ECU reset itself have any effect on the fuel flow? Perhaps changing the way it interprets data from the throttle sensor? Or would this make no difference at all? Thanks.

#409015 - 04/04/05 10:41 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Would disconnecting the battery overnight to let the ECU reset itself have any effect on the fuel flow?
A more knowledgable member probably should confirm this, but I believe I yes.

As I understand, there are computer variables that are set and determined over a period of time that the computer takes for granted on ignition. While over time, it will adjust these variables itself, reseting the ECU should speed up the process.

Noobie001

#409016 - 04/04/05 10:46 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Sometimes when first replaced the air box does not seal well... I know that may sound dumb but I'd start there. I'm actually surprised K&N has one already... it took awhile for the Titan when it came out.

#409017 - 04/04/05 10:48 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Sometimes when first replaced the air box does not seal well... I know that may sound dumb but I'd start there.
I still have the lingering thought in the back of my mind that there is a slight chance mine isn't completely sealed even though as best I can tell it is.

Noobie001

#409018 - 04/04/05 11:04 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
To check the seal, you can hit it with some test spray and see if its drawn in...and the ECU has to re-learn the curves, so there is a time lag before it can run right again.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#409019 - 04/04/05 11:16 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
And make sure the intake hose is on tight, mine came off once and I had the same symptoms. It eventually came all the way off and the engine kept dying. It all went back to there not being enough air flowing through the MAF sensor.

Xterra101.com

#409020 - 04/04/05 03:08 PM Re: poor results after replacing filter
Anonymous
Unregistered

See the other thread here re Mass Air Flow Sensor and aftermarket filters.

#409021 - 04/04/05 03:20 PM Re: poor results after replacing filter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:
And make sure the intake hose is on tight, mine came off once and I had the same symptoms. It eventually came all the way off and the engine kept dying. It all went back to there not being enough air flowing through the MAF sensor.
Samething happenned to me too. The last thing I had done before this problem was to put a K&N drop-in so I openned the hood to remove it when I noticed the hose disconnected.

#409022 - 08/04/05 08:02 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't get it. Everything is sealed tight, as far as I can tell. I disconnected the battery to clear the ECU. The truck seamed to drive better right after that, but seems to have gotten worse over time. Acceleration just feels a bit sluggish. Merging on to the highway last night, I floored it and could have counted the seconds it took to get from 40 to 60...lots of noise, but no feeling of power. The truck actually seemed to perform better with the stock air filter installed. I'm sorry I didn't time the acceleration for comparison. I think I'm going to buy another stock air filter (threw the old one out) and compare them empirically.

#409023 - 08/04/05 08:23 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Keep us info'd on the results... at least I'd like to know!

#409024 - 08/04/05 10:52 AM Re: poor results after replacing filter
Anonymous
Unregistered

If anything, it's good to have a paper filter handy to put in when you clean the other one, that way it gives time to let it dry properly.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal