Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405545 - 16/05/05 07:01 PM Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was told throttle body cleaner works well.. Two screws out and remove the plastic top piece, is there anything that should or should not be douched out with the cleaner? Truck's still having a slight breathing problem after a dunk in some pudding-mud some weeks ago.. I found traces of muddy residue on the intake body just before the sensor. Still gets average mileage, just tuning for the best performance possible before me roadtrip smile

#405546 - 16/05/05 07:34 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

closest thing to any good info on cleaning I could Google- LINKY Yes, I know it's for a Ford Scorpio...

#405547 - 16/05/05 08:47 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another excellent, informative post on this can be had in N4W's how to forum. Thanks to DATZ510 for the info [ThumbsUp]

#405548 - 17/05/05 06:38 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW! What a difference laugh . I took out the first sensor(just aft of the intake/filter) and upon inspection noted it was filthy. Literally covered in dirt [Huh?] . I sprayed it down good with some Pyroil (Valvoline) throttle body cleaner and reinstalled it. Then moved up the manifold to the throttle positioning sensor. Same thing upon inspection (perhaps quite not as dirty) and gave it a quick spritzing. Plugged 'em back in and fired it up, instant results and after running for 10-15 minutes I spun it around the block and could tell a big difference in throttle response and idle continuity. Sorry no pics to share, I saw all the dirt on the sensors and went to work like a triage nurse [Geek] There are great pics however available on N4W as I'd noted above. Anyone who drives dirt and or mud quite often, or if you've never done this service before,(fyi-it's not a required service from the dealers either [Uh Oh !] ) it's 5 minutes of work and a noticeable change in performance. Was for mine anyways [ThumbsUp]

#405549 - 17/05/05 07:38 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

^good deal [ThumbsUp]
i plan on doing some intake cleaning myself- normally I just spray the TB cleaner in the intake with the motor running and give it a few good revs to suck the cleaner in (almost to the point of stauling).. but Ive never had to clean a maf before- i was told they're stupid sensative to 'cleaners' and such

#405550 - 18/05/05 02:23 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would use brake cleaner, not carb cleaner. carb cleaner will leave a coating on the MAF sensor film.

#405551 - 27/05/05 01:41 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brystok; He said TB cleaner not carb cleaner..there is a lot of difference. TB cleaner will not dissolve the protective coatings on TBs.. and Brake Cleaner.. I don't think I would do that!!! confused

#405552 - 30/05/05 07:29 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
xringguy Offline

Loc: Champlin, MN, USA
I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (Part #05102). It is supposed to leave no residue.

I bought mine at a local Checker Auto Parts. I assume it is available elsewhere.

#405553 - 31/05/05 07:50 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I joined the N4W forum to see the pics, but all I get are red Xs. What am I doing wrong.

#405554 - 03/06/05 08:37 PM Re: Cleaning mass air flow sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm looks like last weekend i might have ingested some h20 into the airbox, half the filter was wet and I turned her off as soon as I saw the SES came on. After a new filter was installed, fired her right up but the SES light is still on. Thanks for the info about the second sensor. I was wondering where it was! Now I can clean them up this weekend and hope my SES light goes off!

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal