Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#409989 - 18/07/05 09:52 PM intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok i know this has been mentioned before so sorry but the comparision of the k&n intake vs the air aid vs the nismo one...does any one have any pros and cons

this is for a 2004 se s/c xterra

thanks

#409990 - 18/07/05 10:01 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

whatever one you can get for the cheapest price, most likely airraid. All it's going to really do is make the engine sound louder. But the sound is good :p i'm running an airraid

#409991 - 19/07/05 09:36 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ditto on the AirRaid. Does nothing to improved gas mileage.

#409992 - 20/07/05 01:16 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the major Diff. is money. Perform... wise they all pretty much is the same. I am using K&N in my X. Eventhough, just the filter, I am very satisfy with it.

By the way, I have seen this home grown X. It has a high RPM computer fan in the intake housing, just below the filter. I was told it increased horsepowers. So if u wants to try it out, go ahead. just let us know how does it goes.

#409993 - 21/07/05 03:47 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most of the modified filters only help out above 2500 rpm. At 2000 rpm on the highway I am going 70. Most of the time driving around town, except for getting on the highway or coming away from stoplights, my rpm doesn't see much over 2500 rpm so the free flow air filters don't do you much good. A free flow air filter might pay off in cost of air filters after about 100,000 miles if you changed every 5000 miles.

#409994 - 21/07/05 08:50 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOT & 5500 rpm the engine is taking in about 320CFM, you are not going to find a computer fan that can match / improve on that..

#409995 - 16/08/05 08:24 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just installed the Airraid system and remembered reading something about having to drill something to get rid of a hissing sound. Cant find tha thread AND yes i did use the search function. If someone acn point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

#409996 - 08/09/05 11:53 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the slip in or (drop in) K&N Air Filter. I have noticed a slight increase in mpg but not much. I use regular octane because mine is not a supercharger. Plus i get good mpg from a lower octane (87) and the way these gas prices are going that might be the only octane i might ever use. But the K&N Brand is a great product might be the most expensive but i think it's worth it if u got it. (money)

Nick

#409997 - 08/09/05 01:39 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right the airraid doesnt improve gas mileage but it sounds cool and it makes the throttle response snappier.

#409998 - 11/09/05 05:40 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont know if this applies to the s/c'd engines.. but when i installed my intake it ran fine for a couple days, then it seemed to 'settle' which i later discovered to be that my timing retarded.. which caused a very horrible ping. pay attention to your motor- it talks to you when it's not happy wink

#409999 - 11/09/05 08:50 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a side note I got better sound from just installing the K&N drop in filter. I can't say that for the other car's I've used the drop in on. Not saying I'm proud of this, but my old 99' Civic Si sounded pretty damn nice with a AEM SRS, AEM catback (yes they made one, just one) and a DC header (rusty POS). Ahhh the torque-less wonder, those we're the days. :rolleyes:

#410000 - 11/09/05 03:52 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

does the xterra naturally sound "good" All my friends comment on how good the car sounds when you floor it.
It must sound incredible with an intake and exhaust...

could my "awesome" engine sound be a cracked manifold? how could i tell if it was(i did a search and am still not sure) when i start the engine cold it ticks for about 3 seconds...is that anything?

#410001 - 18/09/05 07:46 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomclod:
Right the airraid doesnt improve gas mileage but it sounds cool and it makes the throttle response snappier.
On a super charged X you will notice a bit of improvement in MPG simply because the air no longer has to be sucked through the undersized stock airbox. This easier breather allows the SC to spin with less force and strain on the engine allowing that power to be used for pushing the car, thus improving MPG. I had about a 1-2 MPG increase after I installed mine.

A non-SC I would have to agree, just more noise.

#410002 - 18/09/05 08:04 AM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a non S/C X and am running K&N intake and Flowmaster 40D. It made a HUGE difference with acceleration. The X is no longer sluggish off the line.

#410003 - 18/09/05 07:31 PM Re: intake
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I have the same setup. K&N and Flow 40 and it actually improved the MPG but it really depends on the way you drive.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#410004 - 04/10/05 05:54 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey guys im a newbee and i was just wondering if you could help me out. i was thinking about getting the full kand n intake system. My question is what about al the hoses that connect to the stock intake? would i just clamp them off or what? thanks in advance.

#410005 - 04/10/05 07:14 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

when i did the k&n thing for my civic about a year ago, it was about the most simple thing ever. i'd never done anything NEARLY like it to a car.. in fact, i'd never done anything to any car. i was clueless... even so, there are only so many options.

the civic k&n intake installation was basically:

1: remove stock intake system (very easy, no abnormal cutting or forcing at all. just unscrewing and removing)

2: place the filter itself on the metal intake tubing. fastened it.

3: took the rubber housing that connects the intake tube to the throttlebody, connected the circular metal clamp (that has a built in screw that you just tighten over the hole of the the throttlebody that's purpose is to seal the air inside the intake.)

4. ONE slight cutting/mod i had to do was cut the rubber carb that connects the engine to (roughly) the middle of the intake pipe. *i guess that's what that was... a carb*

lastly

5. connect the sensor (i guess the 02 sensor, not sure) either way, it was obviously some sort of electronic device that measured something. ANYWAY....

someone that's more technically sound and better at wording this can step in at any time. just thought i'd give you my experience.

here are some helpful links if you're interested:
(keep in mind, all cars and all CAI's are going to hook up differently and even look different. just use your brain. you'll be fine.)

http://www.hesenergy.net/faulkner/k&n.htm

u know what, there's one link. i gotta split.. you can find many others out there i'm sure. not a horribly difficult procedure. if you really need help, go to any local dealership auto parts shop, and they could probably put it on in 15-30 minutes.

peace

#410006 - 04/10/05 07:46 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just put my K&N FIPK on today. The instructions are simple and straightforward! F*n easy! Visual and written instructions go great with a beer or two...

Rob

#410007 - 04/10/05 08:01 PM Re: intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oops, forgot about the hoses...

No need to clamp off, they simply attach to the new intake.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal