Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407441 - 25/06/04 06:50 AM Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been trying to use higher grades of gas thinking it's better for the Xterra. Will it run okay on regular and will that cause any problems later?

#407442 - 25/06/04 07:45 AM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
If theres not a supercharger, then regular is all you need.

#407443 - 25/06/04 10:55 AM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
There's nothing special about higher-octane gas if your vehicle isn't tuned to take advantage of it and/or require it.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#407444 - 25/06/04 11:05 AM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
There have been many tall tales about putting higher octane gas in your car, but studies have shown that you won't even get better fuel economy. Put in the grade that your manufactorer recommends, and you will never go wrong.

#407445 - 25/06/04 12:27 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It definitly makes a difference if you have a supercharger. I put in two tanks of regular about 6 months ago when gas prices started to hike and it ran like shit. It hesitated and got horrible gas milage. I switched back to 91 octane and problem solved. This week I discovered that Sinclair has 93. 93 it is!
In a supercharged engine it matters. Otherwise I dont think it does. [ThumbsUp]

#407446 - 25/06/04 01:05 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by skaggs396:
It definitly makes a difference if you have a supercharger. I put in two tanks of regular about 6 months ago when gas prices started to hike and it ran like shit. It hesitated and got horrible gas milage. I switched back to 91 octane and problem solved. This week I discovered that Sinclair has 93. 93 it is!
In a supercharged engine it matters. Otherwise I dont think it does. [ThumbsUp]
Yeah, you definatly need to put in what the manufactorer recomends as I said in my post.

#407447 - 27/06/04 07:47 AM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Think of it this way...the only thing the octane number does is tell you how fast the gas will burn. That's pretty much it.

The higher the octane, the slower it burns...

The slower it burns, the sooner the spark has to fire to get it going in time to push the piston with the explosion. (Timing)

If an engine is designed to adjust the timing to account for this, then higher octane fuel may improve performance.

In the X - the regular grade gas is pretty much the hot ticket.

If you drive all over the country...what is considered to be "regular" will change, mostly based upon the altitude of the region.

Regular gas at sea level areas (NJ) is around 87 octane...Regular gas in Colorado is more like 85 octane.

Thinner air has fewer molecules in the same space...so, to compensate, the gas needs to burn a bit faster for the same timing settings to work.

In other words, if you are going up into the mountains, and the engine starts to feel weaker, putting in a higher octane gas will make it worse, not better.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#407448 - 28/06/04 10:30 AM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah, you definatly need to put in what the manufactorer recomends as I said in my post
Thats what I said. [Finger]

#407449 - 10/08/04 11:15 AM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Supercharged 2002 Nissn X

When i first gotmy X i hadn't read the manual yet and was putting in 87. I got about 9-10 miles to the gallon. Then i came to the chapter about gas and how they recommend 91 i switched immediatley.

The truck runs smoother, sounds better and now i run at 12-14 mpg.

#407450 - 11/08/04 12:24 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On both my '02 and '03, I have been running premium (91) - it's not an SC, I would just get a knocking noise when I started it up, and was told by the dealer that is was an "octane knock"?? So, I run premium all the time, after they adjusted something......

I haven't put cheap gas in it, I just bend over at the tank, no matter what... [Crybaby]

#407451 - 11/08/04 12:33 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Your timing is off. Look at my post above where it talks about what knocking is.

You are using an expensive timing correction rental to compensate. (Premium)

Have the timing corrected, and use regular instead of renting the correction.

I'm sure there will be those who will miss watching you bend over though.

wink

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#407452 - 11/08/04 12:42 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shit, that would be nice!! I paid $2.33 on Sunday before going out with RMXC. All it left was money for Pringles. laugh

I'll mention it when I go in for my 45K work....

#407453 - 11/08/04 01:01 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

$2.33!? holy cow, You get dinner and a movie before they stuck it to you?

It's $1.78 down here in San Antonio at Shell for their Power V stuff. I thought I was being robbed.

#407454 - 11/08/04 01:19 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course, this was in Frisco - a conoco exploded last thursday, so there's one less place to get gas - i'm sure a very lucrative opportunity for all others.

But yeah, we've been running between 2.02 and 2.40 around here for premium.

Dinner and a movie? Hah. At least I got to air my tires back up for free.... :rolleyes:

#407455 - 12/08/04 10:50 AM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Gas prices high? Really?

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#407456 - 12/10/05 08:11 PM Re: Regular gas vs. any higher grade? Does it matter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Think of it this way...the only thing the octane number does is tell you how fast the gas will burn. That's pretty much it.

The higher the octane, the slower it burns...

The slower it burns, the sooner the spark has to fire to get it going in time to push the piston with the explosion. (Timing)

If an engine is designed to adjust the timing to account for this, then higher octane fuel may improve performance.

In the X - the regular grade gas is pretty much the hot ticket.

If you drive all over the country...what is considered to be "regular" will change, mostly based upon the altitude of the region.

Regular gas at sea level areas (NJ) is around 87 octane...Regular gas in Colorado is more like 85 octane.

Thinner air has fewer molecules in the same space...so, to compensate, the gas needs to burn a bit faster for the same timing settings to work.

In other words, if you are going up into the mountains, and the engine starts to feel weaker, putting in a higher octane gas will make it worse, not better.
Hey TJ, nice way to put that - I remember seeing those lower 85 octane grades back when I lived in Wyoming, but never put 2 and 2 together.

Octane is also key in engine compression in that the higher the octane level, the more you can fit in a tighter space before it spontaneously combusts. This is important in engines that are designed for higher octane fuel, as low octane fuel will spontaneously combust under compression before the engine has ignited it - causing a knock, or explosion in the cylinder while the cylinder is still compressing.. Modern engines sense this (using knock sensors) and advance or retard the timing of the spark ignition to 'sync' with the fuels combustion level.

A good read on the subject can be found HERE.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal