Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405424 - 25/10/05 09:29 AM Is your resonator still out?
akytbndk-x Offline

Loc: usa
Just curious on the long term effect of the removal of the resonator particularly from the one inside the fender well before the filter box. I apologize in advance for resurrecting such an old topic. The reason I am doing this is because I believe that kind of modification makes sense and it is just a matter of weighing out the pro's and con's of the modification. Of course there is a risk involve, but I am sure that the risk can be mitigated. For instance, one thing I have learned from the thread is that if you do this mod make sure your air filter is capable filtering of the massive air that will flow freely after such mod. In this case the OEM filter may fail in doing it's job so you have to put in a K&N drop in just to make sure.

Another one is once you remove the resonator the noise level in the of the engine rev will definitely increased. You just have to accept it and live with it, no harm done. But what about the others. I saw and read some posts about this topic and I noticed the date stamps were from 2 years from now or older. Well and good in that case X-owners will probably have some stories/experiences to share most particularly the long term effect if any. If they are still around and/or they still have their x.

1. After removing the resonator box from the inside fender well, did you do an additional modification to the intake or none at all? Additional mod such as snorkel, improvise snorkel or raised intake outlet, conversion to cold air intake, FIPK, Volant, etc.

2. If none, did you have any problem with moisture getting inside the intake?

3. If none, any other adverse effect for doing such mod?

4. Did you get bored and decided to put the resonator back?

5. Anything else that an owner needs to consider before doing this mod?

6. Or this mod is just a waste of time.

I hope everybody who had this for awhile are still around will pitch in. But don't get me wrong, everybody can pitch it. It doesn't matter if you did this mod just recently or couple of years ago. Your experience counts.

Thank you in advance and I am so eager to hear from you guys soon.

By the way, Kudos to all of you who pitched in for the topic "PML". It was a breeze when I did mine after a year of reading all the threads about the PML.

#405425 - 25/10/05 10:09 AM Re: Is your resonator still out?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took it out and replaced it with a male ABS pipe plug, I think it was like 1 1/2" IIRC Siliconed it in and used a new SS clamp

Don't notice any difference with anything.

I have a snorkel.

#405426 - 25/10/05 10:13 AM Re: Is your resonator still out?
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh yea, you HAVE to plug that hole... otherwise air won't go past your MAF sensor and the truck will run like poo.

you don't create any add'l air flow with this mod, I just created space for more electrical panels, or a small compressor.

#405427 - 25/10/05 10:52 AM Re: Is your resonator still out?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by XterraAdam:
oh yea, you HAVE to plug that hole... otherwise air won't go past your MAF sensor and the truck will run like poo.

you don't create any add'l air flow with this mod, I just created space for more electrical panels, or a small compressor.
Really, I thought the resonator restricted airflow? By removing it you can get mor air in, no?

#405428 - 25/10/05 01:40 PM Re: Is your resonator still out?
akytbndk-x Offline

I think resonator restricts the air flow. I think. By removing it you are creating more air flow. But if you remove and plug the existing hole with an abs pipe plug or something then you are merely removing the resonator and not creating an additional duct where air can pass through. I think.

Any other thoughts on that.

Thanks again.

#405429 - 25/10/05 03:03 PM Re: Is your resonator still out?
Anonymous
Unregistered

AFAIK the resonators are to only there to baffle noises from/to the air box. Removing them on a former X that I had didn't do anything. Plus the big gernade one [Smoking] in the drivers front fender is a bitch to take out.

#405430 - 25/10/05 03:11 PM Re: Is your resonator still out?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
I believe you guys are talking about two different resonators.

There are two (actually more, but we'll concentrate on two as those seem to be the ones concerning this discussion).

One (the one being referred to by akytbndk-x, I believe) is inside the driver's side front wheel well.....above the wheel liner. The other (the one being referred to by XterraAdam) is in the engine bay, coming off the intake after the MAF and attached to the engine bay inside fender near the ABS unit.

If you remove the one referred to by akytbndk-x, then no plugging is necessary....If you remove the one referred to by XterraAdam, then a plug is needed as air will be pulled into the intake after the MAF.

I have been running my intake with the inside-wheel-well resonator and the other resonator removed for 2 years+ .....One and a half with a snorkle (and the resonator holes plugged.....And a year or so with the resonators removed and the pre-filter, inside-wheel-well resonator hole left open, and the post MAF engine bay resonator hole plugged. I have run it like this with no problems. And I have run the K&N filter for all that time +.

Hope this helps.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#405431 - 25/10/05 03:47 PM Re: Is your resonator still out?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
How does removing the resonator in the wheel well affect the IAT sensor? Do you need to do anything special here?

#405432 - 25/10/05 04:11 PM Re: Is your resonator still out?
akytbndk-x Offline

RedX, you are right I was referring to the resonator inside the driver's side front wheel well above the wheel liner. Thank you for the input too.

Do you have any answer for dezurtrat questions?

Sorry to ask, sounds like the question is very interesting. To be honest with you all I know in my truck is just changing the oil. Now I know how to do PML. This is because of this discussion.

Greatly appreciate it.

#405433 - 25/10/05 04:35 PM Re: Is your resonator still out?
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by akytbndk-x:
For instance, one thing I have learned from the thread is that if you do this mod make sure your air filter is capable filtering of the massive air that will flow freely after such mod. In this case the OEM filter may fail in doing it's job so you have to put in a K&N drop in just to make sure.

The OEM filter will always catch more than an oiled cotton filter. The aftermarket filters flow more air, but also let fine particulates by.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal