Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#409948 - 20/12/05 11:17 PM Help... need HP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK... honestly still undecided... but thats OK... So whats my better option?

As I have posted, looking into '02 ish 5 speed Xs... will get 2" BL, 2" shackles, torsion bar crank and 33s... that is now a forsure!!!

Now here is my dilema...

Am I better to go with an SC.. suck it up and buy premium gas? Or, get a N/A, Email SLR, and get Cams, throtttle body, headers, and do an exhast system?

The work involved with the mods is not a factor... please keep that in mind!!!

How would a SC handle all those mods too?? that would be cool to try... I see that SLR is still in research on that....

for my reference, how many PSI boost do the SCs give???

Also.. this site is really really great!! I know you guys all know that already, but its a really good site!!! Thanks to all of you for the help so far... I am really excited to take this little project on actually.... I just want to find the right one first... this is going to be our daily driver, so I want to find a good one first...

thanks a million
Bob

#409949 - 21/12/05 03:09 PM Re: Help... need HP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, I believe the boost on the S/C is 7.5, that is what I hear most say.
Second, I would go with the S/C, gas is to high priced anyway so you should get what you want. With the S/C you will feel the extra 30 horse but you will really feel the extra 44 fpt. I went with the SE because of the gas factor. But the SE is nothing to write home about. 19 in the summer and 16 in the winter. Most people I hear get 15 with their S/C. Which is full sized pickup truck numbers but the S/C does have a fun factor when driving it.
Unlike most, I think that the 180 hp motor provides acceptable acceleration, and I am happy with my parchase but the black interior and 17" rims are hard to beat.

#409950 - 21/12/05 03:15 PM Re: Help... need HP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also, don't think that you will buy an SE and get the 180 hp engine up to 210. There is very little available to boost the output. An intake/exhaust combo may get you up around 190 or so but hardly S/C numbers. I saw a cam for the 3.3 posted on this site but the price was upwards of $1000. I would put that toward an S/C.

#409951 - 21/12/05 05:45 PM Re: Help... need HP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

the SLR setup was 475 for the cams, 475 for the headers, and 200 for the larger bore TB...

so $1150

the results were:

Horsepower 220 @ 5400 RPM
Torque (ft. lbs) 237 @ 4400 RPM

not a bad upgrade...

has anybody on here modded their SC X ???? wonder what kind of #s a SC with all those mods would do....

#409952 - 21/12/05 06:55 PM Re: Help... need HP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those numbers sound pretty good, go for it. I have not heard of anyone here going that route. For serious help with your S/C I would send a personal message or try to contact Paco Pico, he has done some work on the S/C.

#409953 - 21/12/05 10:22 PM Re: Help... need HP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

and those #s are non supercharged....

#409954 - 29/12/05 03:59 PM Re: Help... need HP!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

only heard rumor from a friend at Nissan about an available pulley kit for the SC (from stock 7-7.5 up to between 11-12psi), but not much else. bigger injectors would definitely improve the ponys, but mileage would be in the toilet. that and an aftermarket ECM would help with mixture controls across the board (including dropping the need for Cats by eliminating the need for a seconary O2 and opening up the totally choked exhaust) for a little extra. including the usual bolt-ons, of course. there are untapped resources for these trucks, but there aren't many people ready, or willing to screw around with them. frown
I'm willing to play, but i need resources to play with. I'm still trying to find a reasonable engine to play with, but everything is too expensive. I've also got a twin turbo setup off of an older 300Z that I'm just dying to revive. I really need to contact some peeps in Tampa to see if they can get me a 3.3L reasonable. I've already ported the intake on my X and have seen better mileage from it already. But I really want to go insane with a turbo. I would even be willing to drop to a 3.0L and go sick with boost. mabye even go as high as 18-20psi with all custom setup.

#409955 - 29/12/05 04:05 PM Re: Help... need HP!!!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Keep in mind that if you buy a non-sc with the idea that it gets better mpg than an sc, and then do cams, etc...it will get more like sc mpg anyway...after spending mucho buckaroos on engine work...

So, if the plan is to add the $ and make the non-sc stronger...just get the sc.

Remember this too...(It does happen) - if you get into an accident where the X is a loss - you get book value for it....even if you put many $K's of upgrades into it.

Plates and sliders, etc... are easier to take off and sell separately, cams and so forth are not so easy.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal