2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#415286 - 05/10/05 08:01 PM Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I now have the gibson exhaust on the X. The worst part of the install on the 04 is getting the remnants of the headpipe off. I do believe most of the other years bolt up to a flange? Once it was all off the install was smooth... Alignment was quick, and the end product is quiet at idle, but at a nice low rumble. Once I step on the accelerator peddle, the exhaust in combination with the K&N FIPK makes the X roar! Too cool cool

Rob

#415287 - 05/10/05 08:57 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

nice [ThumbsUp]

#415288 - 06/10/05 06:23 AM Re: Gibson on!
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
[ThumbsUp]

#415289 - 10/10/05 04:18 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice job. good to hear that someone did and put the Gibson on their X and gave us the info on it. Im going to still get the Super 40 Series from Flowmaster.

#415290 - 15/10/05 11:46 AM Re: Gibson on!
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Let's see some pics!!!!! [Smoking]

#415291 - 15/10/05 12:30 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sweet. I'm still leaning toward the Gibson myself. I just havn't fully justified it to myself that i need to replace my exhaust. [Freak] But i'm glad that someone else did it, and it turned out well. [ThumbsUp] Oh, yes and pictures would be nice! laugh

#415292 - 16/10/05 04:26 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

On my 04, I had a Borla stainless catback installed at 700 miles. The headpipe wasnt a issue. The only problem that I see is the short pipe that was fabricated with a flange to bolt on the borla flange will rust out way too soon. Worse case is to have another flange welded to a short peice of Stainless pipe instead of galvanized.

#415293 - 06/11/05 01:59 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am also curious about what you think it did to your mileage, torque, and HP. I don't expect a dyno printout, just a seat of the pants review will do. I am also kicking around exhaust ideas.

#415294 - 19/11/05 06:16 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The exhaust in conjunction with the FIPK seems to make a big difference in performance. If you hit the throttle there is a definite improvement in performance. I don't know how this would be for an 05 as it is a totally different beast. On my 04 I'm real happy, but as with many others here the addition of a Shrockworks bumper and skids is going to probably just balance out the gains. Mileage is about the same maybe a slight dip, but the HP/torque increased.

Rob

#415295 - 28/12/05 11:55 AM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finally can post pics!
The last pic shows where I had to cut an 1/8" slit on each side with a die grinder to allow the pipe to compress down around the stock pipe. I believe earlier models bolted up to a flange.

Rob

#415296 - 28/12/05 03:53 PM Re: Gibson on!
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Nice job! [Smoking]

#415297 - 29/12/05 04:28 AM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks real good. I plan on a gibson exhaust (Along with many other mods)early next summer on my 05. Was wondering what size of BFG's are those and where did you get that nice X-Rated 4x4 window decal?

#415298 - 29/12/05 06:41 AM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those that are interested... I posted this, when I first figured it up, over on the AC board.

Since adding a FIPK & gibson cat-back on my truck, I've gone from averaging 13 mpg in the city, to a little over 16.5 mpg. My highway mileage has jumped from 15 mpg to 19.5 mpg!!!

Some might cry BS, but I'm telling you, it's true. I track my mileage every fillup; not so much because I care about the price of gas, but because I use that to tell me if something's wrong with a vehicle. If my mileage drops suddently, then I know something's not working right.

My truck is a 2002 Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4, with 4.636 stock gearing and 33x12.5 BFG M/T's. I also have an ARB front bumper, Warn M8000 front winch, a rear bumper made from 2"x4"x1/4" box steel, Shorty's sliders, and an engine/transfer case skid row skid. My front skid is off right now; bolts broke a while back and I haven't gotten around to putting it back on just yet.

But my point is, my truck is as heavy as a Frontier can get w/ +/- bolt-on aftermarket parts. And I just got the best gas mileage than I've EVER gotten (even when it was stock!), with just the FIPK & Gibson cat-back.

I never expected to get any real/noticeable gains w/ those two upgrades. It always cracks me up whenever I hear about "butt dyno's", and "increased throttle response" w/ these upgrades. Honestly, I don't "feel" any power increases. If they're there, they aren't enough for me to notice, and w/o a dyno machine, I can't quantify them, anyways. But for the MPG, that's something I can (and do) track, and it has shown an actual increase of 3.5 mpg in the city, and 4.5 mpg on the highway.

#415299 - 29/12/05 07:42 AM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ozzy17X

The install was easy of the Gibson and the sound is great. With all of the extra horses in the 2005+ the exhaust should sound even better!

The tires are only 265/70/16 about 31", you can fit larger on your X. After these I'll be going to a 265/75/16.

As for the X-rated Sticker you need to do a search under "general" for the sticker and then you'll find Powerguy38. He's the one that has them for sale.

Enjoy your X!

Rob

#415300 - 29/12/05 08:48 AM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sinagua, have you seen better mpg like porsche996 did? and how much did that whole system cost, gibson and k&n FIPK.

#415301 - 29/12/05 02:05 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

fpmdl3,

My mileage is right about the same as before, it might actually be a bit worse since with the added kick I tend to be on the peddle harder. I get about 17 mpg regulary with my automatic. I do all stop and go driving and lately have not done a great deal of highway time. Most of my 21 mile drive to work involves a stop sign or light about every 1-3 miles. Kind of sucks, but I love where I live.

When you do add a filter and exhaust to create greater horsepower/performance, the mileage will drop. To make the power you need more gas! :rolleyes:

I love this increase in performance and would not go back to the original set up.

Hope this helps.

Rob

#415302 - 29/12/05 09:06 PM Re: Gibson on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you very much. you answered my question.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal