2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407946 - 16/01/06 04:51 PM fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just turned over 78K (after two months in Baja filling her with god-only knows what kinda fuel...) and I can only assume I need a fuel filter by now. Where the heck is the little bugger, and can anyone give me any tips on changing it.

(My manual doesn't say squat, by the way.)

#407947 - 16/01/06 05:27 PM Re: fuel filter?
Gold Rush Offline

Loc: Franklin, NH
Blake, if your email is current I've sent you info. The info is for 2002 but 2001 should be similar if not identical.

#407948 - 16/01/06 05:34 PM Re: fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you crawl under your X on the passenger side and look in front of your fuel tank, you'll see a tiny metal plate (kind of looks line a mini skid plate)held on by a bolt. Behind that is the fuel filter.

There are many threads on this topic in the backyard mechanic section. Changing is easy, but note that the fuel hose on one side is very short sometimes making the job a bit tricky for some. Pull the fuse for the electric fuel pump, start and run the engine for a few secs to depressurize the lines, undo the plate, remove the two hose clamps, replace filter, replace plate, replace fuse. Keep a pot or something handy to catch any spilling gas.

I had to cut the hose on my X with a pair of snips to get the old one out, but YMMV. You can add a piece of longer hose at that time if you want to make it easier next time.

Hope this helps.

#407949 - 16/01/06 08:26 PM Re: fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Follow these instructions from Xterraparts.com, there great and very detailed.

Click here

#407950 - 17/01/06 07:38 AM Re: fuel filter?
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Go to Harbor Freight and pick up two fuel line hose clamp tools. It's an inexpensive clamp that clamps the hose closed and prevents fuel spillage. I know there are other ways but this works and is cheap wink

#407951 - 17/01/06 07:07 PM Re: fuel filter?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by xterraintx:
Go to Harbor Freight and pick up two fuel line hose clamp tools. It's an inexpensive clamp that clamps the hose closed and prevents fuel spillage. I know there are other ways but this works and is cheap wink
Yea, since the first time I changed the filter and got an ear full of fuel, I have been using these and they are great!

[ThumbsUp]

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal