Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#415383 - 05/05/03 03:16 PM Drycharger for the FIPK??
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Question....

I have heard that it is not a good thing to get water on the Filterchager provided with the K&N FIPK kit (for good reason). Two questions:

1) I assume incidental water is ok? With "incidental" I mean by the occsion water the enters the compartment during rain or normal driving conditions? Of course going through a mud pit a 40 mph wouldn't be a good thing. But against the incidentals how do you guard against that?

2) Knowing water is not your friend in this case, I was looking around and found an item called a "Drycharger" filter wrap. It is supposed to be pretreated to repel water from your filtercharger as it is wrapped around the filtercharger itself. Does anyone out there know about this item? If so is it worth the money? I have tried to find one that fits the FIPK filtercharger for the Xterra (RX-4750) but have come up empty to this point.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks

CJ

#415384 - 05/05/03 03:20 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
NetJunkie Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
A splash of water is fine...since air is less dense it'll get pulled in and not the little bit of water. The problem is if you get significant water up there....like when offroading and crossing a creek.

#415385 - 05/05/03 03:27 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
DesertMike Offline

Loc: Malmstrom AFB, MT
Slamson,

try this link out, I think this is what your talking about:
http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

hopes this helps you out! [Wave]

#415386 - 05/05/03 03:31 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
slamson00 Offline

Thanks for the responses that is the info I was looking for.

Only problem I looked on the page at the K&N website and couldn't find a dryfilter that fits the Xterra FIPK filtercharger which I think is part number RX-4750.

Looks like I will have to call K&N? Thanks for the link

CJ

#415387 - 05/05/03 04:23 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
DesertMike Offline

Here's another place. I didn't do to much more indepth search, just info for you. Have a good one. Mike

http://www.martelbros.com/cgi-bin/store/...=knn/wraps.html

#415388 - 05/05/03 04:34 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
Ag Bullet Offline

Loc: Garner, NC
Either call K&N or measure your filter.
My Ride
Most of the world's problems can be solved with blunt head traumas.

#415389 - 05/05/03 09:30 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Here is what I did! More of a protection from really dusty trails but for sure it woud keep a good splash from soaking the filter.

It isn't closed at the end but bunches up closed when shoved into its space. I don't have the part number for it.

-Rick

#415390 - 06/05/03 01:01 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
Ag Bullet Offline

I have the precleaner on mine as well, but those are more for dust. Here is some info from K&N to explain the difference:

Quote:
What is a K&N PreCharger?
The K&N PreCharger is a specially designed filter wrap made to extend the service interval of your K&N Filtercharger when used in very dusty conditions. They are made from durable polyester material containing a uniform weave. The PreCharger will stop small dirt particles with minimal restriction to the airflow of the filter. The PreCharger is designed to be run dry and can be cleaned with K&N Filter Cleaner. The PreCharger is custom made to fit each application. Double stitched elastic openings assure that the PreCharger will stay in place. The PreChargers are available in a variety of colors, all with a silk-screened K&N PreCharger logo.PreCharger/DryCharger Filter Wrap Applications

Below shows a list of applications for K&N PreCharger and DryChargers by part number. K&N DryChargers are similar to PreChargers except they have been pre-treated to repel water. All measurements are in inches.

Quote:
What is a K&N Airforce Pre-Cleaner?
The K&N Airforce Pre-Cleaner is a specially designed foam filter wrap made to extend the service interval of your K&N Filtercharger when used in very dusty conditions. They are made from large, open cell foam. The Airforce Pre-Cleaner will stop 90% of the dirt, yet only add a 2% restriction to the airflow of the filter. The Airforce Pre-Cleaner is designed to be used with K&N Filter Oil and must be cleaned with K&N Cleaner or soap & water. The Airforce Pre-Cleaner is custom made to fit each application, and there are four universal cut-to-fit sizes available.
My Ride

#415391 - 06/05/03 02:53 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
slamson00 Offline

Hey Ag Bullet,

Do you have the part number for the pre-filter you are running on your filtercharger. I cant find a part number that matches up with the filter element on the FIPK for the Xterra. The filtercharger is part No. RX-4750, but I cant find a prefilter or dryfilter to match it.

Thanks

#415392 - 06/05/03 03:43 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
DesertMike Offline

Hey Slamson,

I just sent an email off to K&N's Tech support about your question for the drycharger. I'll post it when I get. Later! [Wave]

#415393 - 06/05/03 04:08 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
slamson00 Offline

Hey Mike thanks..............I appreciate and look forward to what you hear back if anything.

CJ

#415394 - 06/05/03 04:52 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
rrdstarr Offline

Ag Bullet...yeah I know the pre-filter I have is just for dirt and such, but It is the only solution I have seen for the Xterra Aircharger that fits. I wrote K&N and gave them the part number of the filter and the Kit # for the Aircharger system, BUT they said they have nothing available for it? [Freak] That was as of January. They sent me to several aftermarlet sites theat make covers, BUT I forgot to bookmark them. frown I don't think K&N makes anything to keep the water out of your filter?? If some scores and exact fit precharger or drycharger, LET US KNOW

I am using your niotes on the A-pillar gaugepods install too! THANKS! Adding a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge(mechanical)

-Rick

#415395 - 06/05/03 06:48 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
Ag Bullet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by slamson00:
Hey Ag Bullet,

Do you have the part number for the pre-filter you are running on your filtercharger. I cant find a part number that matches up with the filter element on the FIPK for the Xterra. The filtercharger is part No. RX-4750, but I cant find a prefilter or dryfilter to match it.

Thanks
My prefilter was a cut to fit. It comes with some velcro like stuff to secure it. I bought the biggest size I could find and have extra to do another filter or whatever. I picked it up from Summit.
My Ride

#415396 - 06/05/03 08:09 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
rrdstarr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ag Bullet:
Quote:
Originally posted by slamson00:
[b]Hey Ag Bullet,

Thanks
My prefilter was a cut to fit. It comes with some velcro like stuff to secure it. I bought the biggest size I could find and have extra to do another filter or whatever. I picked it up from Summit.[/b]
Yup I remember reading that before I went searching on the web for what I currently have. Did you ever come up with a pattern to make the box that encloses the filter?
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=442451&uid=135343

-Rick

#415397 - 07/05/03 09:13 AM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
Ag Bullet Offline

No, but it would be easy enough to build a lid and attach it. I still have some sheet metal left too. Week end project?
My Ride

#415398 - 07/05/03 02:23 PM Re: Drycharger for the FIPK??
DesertMike Offline

CJ (and others interested),

here's what I got back from K&N, I can't call from over here, so if you call the company can you let me know how much and I'll go in with you on it. Maybe some other folks would want to also!
Hope this helps! take it easy! Mike

Dear Mike,

We do not offer a filter wrap for your filter. Please
contact Outerwear's at (800)967-3450 they can custom make one for your
application.

Thanks for writing,

Melina Martinez
Technical support
K&N Engineering
www.knfilters.com
[Smoking]

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico