2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#410479 - 28/03/04 09:53 AM exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
jeffsix Offline

Loc: Elkridge, MD
Thinking about putting a new exhaust on my truck. Seems most of the cat-back, bolt-on systems come in rear and side exit models. The rear exit model seems (from the images I have seen) to have alot less bending and a shorter run length (due primarily to the lack of bending for side exit). Basic physics tell me that the rear exit system should provide less resistance so that system should see somewhat better performance. Does that make sense? Do the rear exit and side exit models differ in thie regard?

How about the more general question - why is one style better than the other? Thanks.

#410480 - 28/03/04 10:24 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the wheeler, a side exit would be better. With a rear exit, the departure angle will be less.

#410481 - 28/03/04 12:18 PM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
An exhaust pipe can get banged around pretty good no matter whether it's side or rear exit, depending on the situation....just make sure you talk to the shop putting it on, and get them to tuck it in as much as they can if you think it will be an issue...
I opted for an angled-rear exit...

It does take a little from my departure angle, but not much more than when it was stock...

Good luck!

DKX01

#410482 - 28/03/04 12:30 PM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My local shop said they could not do dual outlet because the pipe would be to close to a fuel line or brake line or something.

#410483 - 28/03/04 12:59 PM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
jeffsix Offline

Loc: Elkridge, MD
Understand the side exit offering less chance of getting bumped around off-road. As I'm a 98% on-road driver, I care more about the performance of the exhaust - plus I'll be buying one of the cat-back, bolt-on systems and doing it myself. So, as far as performance goes (opening up the engine to enhaust more freely), does the less-bend of the rear exit exhaust really make it make the engine breathe easier?

#410484 - 28/03/04 01:02 PM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I opted for straight out the rear...

and so far (knocking on wood) I have had any problems off-roading.My hitch should take most of the scraping anyways...

#410485 - 29/03/04 10:51 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
rfritz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
Mine started out on the side, but every time I go offroad, it migrates more toward the rear. It is slowly bending back.....

#410486 - 29/03/04 06:24 PM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by SRTMO:
My local shop said they could not do dual outlet because the pipe would be to close to a fuel line or brake line or something.
Find a new shop...I took mine to Midas and they were able to do it. 'Course it was a buddy of mine, so he was probably a little more willing to go the extra mile...I showed on page 2 of my little web page (link below) how he routed it...check it out if you want...good luck on whatever you decide!

DKX01

#410487 - 31/03/04 06:31 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
For the wheeler, a side exit would be better. With a rear exit, the departure angle will be less.
confused But you've got a trailer hitch, nothing takes more away from the departure angle than a trailer hitch.

BTW, depending on how they do it the rear exhaust won't take away from departure angle.
The big problem is having the exhaust in a place where it won't get pinched shut when it gets wedged between a rock and a body panel/bumper.

In the end it comes down to preference, neither has any bennefits over the other.

Xterra101.com

#410488 - 31/03/04 09:09 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:
Quote:
[b]For the wheeler, a side exit would be better. With a rear exit, the departure angle will be less.
confused But you've got a trailer hitch, nothing takes more away from the departure angle than a trailer hitch.

BTW, depending on how they do it the rear exhaust won't take away from departure angle.
The big problem is having the exhaust in a place where it won't get pinched shut when it gets wedged between a rock and a body panel/bumper.

In the end it comes down to preference, neither has any bennefits over the other.[/b]
I agree...My hitch would hit before the pipes do....

#410489 - 01/04/04 10:50 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Kerensky97 Offline

That's one of the bennefits of the hitch, you don't pinch the tailpipe shut.
You just have to get used to it grinding over obstacles all the time. :p

Xterra101.com

#410490 - 02/04/04 06:32 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
blizzard Offline

Loc: Yarnell, AZ.
If you put it straight out the back , you'll get lots of exhaust residue on the back. Look at a ricer pickup , the tailgate is usually black by the exhaust .

#410491 - 02/04/04 06:38 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
I've been thinking about cutting a hole in my bumper and going straight through. I've crushed about 6 exhaust tips, both side and rear exit. I was real disappoint to destry the calmini tip. Right now it goes straight back and is just angled down, but inside the bumper. I'm not too fond of it being completely under the truck, but it hasn't killed me yet.

#410492 - 02/04/04 06:44 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Kerensky97 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
I've been thinking about cutting a hole in my bumper and going straight through. I've crushed about 6 exhaust tips, both side and rear exit. I was real disappoint to destry the calmini tip. Right now it goes straight back and is just angled down, but inside the bumper. I'm not too fond of it being completely under the truck, but it hasn't killed me yet.
Mines the same way. I've driven for hours and haven't fallen asleep at the wheel, at least not for anthing other than sleep deprivation.

Xterra101.com

#410493 - 03/04/04 06:12 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by blizzard:
If you put it straight out the back , you'll get lots of exhaust residue on the back. Look at a ricer pickup , the tailgate is usually black by the exhaust .
If thats happening I'd be a little more concerned as why it's burning oil...

#410494 - 04/04/04 01:44 PM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Besides the offroad benefits, here is a good reason to go with side exit:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007761;p=1

#410495 - 04/04/04 04:48 PM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
RI Xterra Offline

Well that doesn't worry me all that much considering that in majority of cases when someone rear ends you it's the other persons fault and they'll have to pay for it..

#410496 - 12/04/04 11:35 AM Re: exhaust: side exit or rear exit?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're not talking about high performance engines here! The xterra isn't going to gain any noticeable power increase from one exhaust over the other. Choose the one you think looks the best, then hit the trails. [Wave]

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal