Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#408577 - 02/06/04 05:39 PM K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the itch as most of us do to modify their X here and there.

I was wondering if installed the K&N FIPK for everyday driving (mix highway and city) will be just a waste of $ or will it actually be worth it.

Thanks for the replies!

#408578 - 02/06/04 05:46 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Personally, I like the slight added power, merging onto highways is a little easier. It was a little $$$ (Canadian), but now I can say it was worth it with the price of gas and the 2mpg increase I've experienced.

#408579 - 02/06/04 08:39 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
Skifreak Offline

Loc: Valdez, AK
I am very happy with purchasing the FIPK. There is a definite power increase, especially if you have a SC. I have also noticed an increase of about 3 or 4 MPG. You just have to keep your foot from slamming down so much with that increase of HP. I am very happy with it and you can find it on Ebay for the best price.

#408580 - 02/06/04 08:46 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
XterraDiver Offline

Loc: Monterey, CA
Really? 2mpg increase! Now that might make it worth it if it improves my SC from 14mpg to 16mpg. At $2.63 gallon for premium, with a 2mpg increase, it would pay for itself after 7 months. Assuming 1500 miles a month, $2.63 a gallon for gas and $250 for the K&N. Now, what if I add a Calmini exhaust?

#408581 - 03/06/04 04:16 AM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies so far! I really didn't think there was that much of an increase in MPG. All I had read so far was a negligible increase in mpg plus it was much louder.

Are most of you running the newer version, I think its called the FIPK II, model 57-6010, but I'm not sure.

#408582 - 03/06/04 08:01 AM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
I don't know what model (number) I bought ($229 total from Crutchfield.com), and it's too early to say anything about gas mileages. But, I'm liking the sound of it so far. :p

The model I received did not require me to make the holes larger... Maybe I received the improved version of it. :rolleyes: I'm not regretting my purchase. smile

#408583 - 03/06/04 12:30 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can not verify any of my claims other than through my own observation... Meaning I do not have Dino to prove my results.
But the consensus is you have to also do a Cat Back freeflow exhaust to see any significatant gain in power or MPG.
I posted a response a few days ago in another subject claiming 10-15% percent increase. look under the horsepower posting. Again I have not put my X on a Dino but I can tell you that is has maybe a noticeable difference in Power.

Also, another consideration is that both of these mods singlely or together will make you X incredibly loud in comparison. the exhaust is an obvious one but the surprising one is how much louder your engine will be when you remove all the resonators attached to the factory air intake... So if you are the kind of person that likes to hear the roar of your X do not expect any improvement in MPG until you get your foot out of it, as it will be come a habit once you hear it for the first time...

To quote the many times I have seen this on this website in particular...

Check the boards before you post your question it might already be answered...

#408584 - 03/06/04 12:52 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
xcanuk Offline

FWIW.. I installed my K&N 2 years ago, compared my mpg #'s to the same period of the previous year, (same type of road trip), and gained the 2mpg. Did the same thing during the winter months, and found I lost 2 mpg.
Installed the Catback last year.. no further changes, but the power increased a slight touch further.

#408585 - 21/06/04 05:03 AM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
I did not realize that much of a gain in gas mileage. It does make the 'charger whine a lot LOUDER, which causes a lot of looks. Not enough power gain to even feel it in the Butt dyno. I need a full exhaust replacement from headers back. Then, MAYBE, i'll feel a gain. Only way to see an increase with just an intake would be on a real dyno. Otherwise, it is just psychological- you justifying the $$$.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#408586 - 21/06/04 06:24 AM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
blizzard Offline

Loc: Yarnell, AZ.
The Airaid works just as well and costs less.

#408587 - 21/06/04 07:37 AM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
Anonymous
Unregistered

SC model with an intake will definately be quite a bit louder, but will yield better results than the NA V6. You might want to consider just buying the K&N replacement filter. Much cheaper and safer with just about the same performance results w/o a lot of extra noise.

#408588 - 21/06/04 07:51 AM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
bpdA Offline

Loc: Chicago IL, Orange Co. CA, and...
I have the FIPK and BORLA catback and noticed a power increase. Nothing substantial, but noticable. Much louder too. Mileage did not change one way or the other but I find myself driving harder just to hear the sounds now very apparent under the hood. I think it was worth it for my daily driver around town.

#408589 - 22/06/04 06:04 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
Anonymous
Unregistered

I already have the K&N Filter for my SC. I was just wondering if it was worth putting in the FIPK for any noticeable gains in mileage, power, etc. I have a magnaflow exhaust, and I just wanted to make it perform as well as possible for everyday (non off road) use. Doesn't sound like its worth it really...or am I wrong?

#408590 - 22/06/04 06:14 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
Anonymous
Unregistered

Teh difference between a K&N filter and the K&N FIPK intake system is the size of the filter. If you just get a replacement filter, them the K&N is the sixe of the stock filter. The K&N FIPK's filter is noticibally bigger and will suck in more air.

If i were you, i would stay with the $ 45 K&N filter instead of the $220 K&N FIPK.

Casper4 [Wave]

#408591 - 22/06/04 06:30 PM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
xcanuk Offline

Funny, I installed an AEM system into a SC, and did not notice that much difference in sound. Actually, it was so much quieter than my own K&N, it had me modifying my own charger (previously discussed mod)

#408592 - 23/06/04 11:29 AM Re: K&N FIPK for the everyday X driver? Opinions wanted
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
worked for my until i put on an ARB then added a flowmaster so im about stock mileage now.

Thomas Jefferson

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal