Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#415771 - 08/12/04 11:46 AM Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
ketel1and7 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
OK...Let me being by saying I love my 4x4 5-speed Xterra. Wouldn't trade it in for anything. When I bought it 2 years ago...I did everything I needed it to do. I've since then become a inshore/offshore fishing nut and getting ready to buy a real money pit...a 23 ft. dual outboard grady white. As some of you may know, the grady's come very heavy and well over (plus the motors) the 3500lb towing capacity of the 5speed.

So, as you've probably figured out already, is there anyway to increase the towing capacity of the 5 speed and has someone done it? I know there are plenty of ways to increase the pony's but that apparently isn't the problem. The problem lies with burning the clutch out. Is it possible to increase it at all?

I really don't want to get rid of her cuz my decision to get a manual when I bought her.

Thanks.

#415772 - 08/12/04 12:17 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How far are you going to be towing this boat, and how much does it weigh? If you’re not going to be taking it on the throughway or anything I wouldn’t worry at all.

We had a VW Jetta with a class 1 hitch on it, and we towed and launched a 3000lbs 25ft sail boat with it. Those recommended towing capacities are low just so the vehicle will still be safe in an accident or something.

But if the boat is over 5000lbs and your going to be pulling it long distances at high speeds you may need to get something different.

#415773 - 08/12/04 12:30 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you know how to drive a manual well you'll probably be fine, the lower limit is there to protect the clutch and tranny. The key is that you need to strike the right balance between too much clutch slippage (hard on the clutch) and too much driveline lash (hard on everything).

If your clutch goes out in the future I'd recommend getting a heavier duty unit.

#415774 - 08/12/04 01:39 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Do they make such a thing as a Heavy Duty Towing Clutch?

Obviously the tranny is the issue because the automatics are rated to 5000lbs

#415775 - 08/12/04 01:56 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by badercarma:
How far are you going to be towing this boat, and how much does it weigh? If you’re not going to be taking it on the throughway or anything I wouldn’t worry at all.

We had a VW Jetta with a class 1 hitch on it, and we towed and launched a 3000lbs 25ft sail boat with it. Those recommended towing capacities are low just so the vehicle will still be safe in an accident or something.

But if the boat is over 5000lbs and your going to be pulling it long distances at high speeds you may need to get something different.
Aren't you the same guy who also recommended to use the sway bars as tow points?? [Huh?]

#415776 - 08/12/04 02:16 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
NuDan Offline

Loc: Not Here
LOL!!!!!!!

#415777 - 08/12/04 02:21 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tahoe_x:
Quote:
Originally posted by badercarma:
[b]How far are you going to be towing this boat, and how much does it weigh? If you’re not going to be taking it on the throughway or anything I wouldn’t worry at all.

Aren't you the same guy who also recommended to use the sway bars as tow points?? [Huh?] [/b]
I don't remember if this is the same guy, but 3,000 lbs with a Jetta is a bit excessive.

#415778 - 08/12/04 02:22 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser442:
Do they make such a thing as a Heavy Duty Towing Clutch?
Centerforce makes heavy duty clutches.

#415779 - 08/12/04 02:32 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hitch the Grady White up to your rear-sway bar and tow it that way.

#415780 - 08/12/04 06:20 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
ketel1and7 Offline

The Boat plus Motor plus trailer plus whatever is probably around 4000 lbs. So I'm 500sh over the recommended weight.

The Ride would probably include some highway and a pretty good distance :-\

I was thinking about upgrading the clutch but wondering if it's even worth it. I'm wondering if towing 3500 will wear my clutch out pretty fast!?!

#415781 - 08/12/04 07:13 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
The worse would be if the clamping force on the clutch wasn't sufficient to keep the clutch from slipping while you are driving - say under load up a hill. Constant slipping would chew through it pretty quick.

I'm not sure the clamping force on the stock clutch, nor am I sure if the clutch can handle more weight and they are just being conservative because most people don't know how to drive a stick and will slip the clutch too much when getting started.

As others have pointed out, there is probably some slush in the number - but hard to say where. Maybe cyclemut will chime in...

#415782 - 08/12/04 08:40 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The clutch will be fine as long as you don’t slip it to much and use low range when launching the boat and for getting started on steep hills. Maybe get a set of manual hubs so you can have 2low.

When we launched the boat with the Jetta it towed it just fine, but we had to have a few people sit on the hood for traction on the ramp.

#415783 - 08/12/04 09:26 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, and a cheap excuse for Headers to add torque. wink

#415784 - 08/12/04 10:22 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although a boat on a boat trailer (that's specifically for that boat) is probably more balanced of a load than anything else, one concern here would be the tongue weight. How much is that?

Are you running aux brakes on the trailer? I would hope so.

Part of the towing capacity that vehicles are rated for doesn't actually have much to do with the strengths of the engine and drivetrain. But, it does have everything to do with the brakes on the vehicle. You could tow a lot more, but you won't be able to stop it! Especially on a grade.

Being only 500lbs over isn't much. It's in there. But I'd look at getting a load equalizer for X and perhaps looking at getting an aux brake controller for the boat brakes. That's assuming the trailer has brakes.

If the trailer doesn't have any brakes, and there are any decent grades on the way, then I'd think twice about it.

If it has brakes, it's all flat (or near enough) and you can take off without slipping the clutch too much, then go for it.

#415785 - 09/12/04 07:03 AM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think the difference in the manual vs. auto towing limits has anything to do with the brakes. They use the same brake system & parts, so if the auto can tow 5000 lbs, and the manual can tow 3500, the only thing that's different is the tranny/clutch and the rear gears.

#415786 - 09/12/04 07:03 AM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another thing to think about is how you put the boat in the water- do you intend to use a ramp or have it litfed in the water?

Pulling a boat up a ramp everytime you drop it in the water has to place a conciderable amount of stress/wear on the vehicle pulling it- I'd think more than when you already have momentum going up an incline with the clutch fully engaged.

#415787 - 09/12/04 07:26 AM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a jetta can tow a 3000lbs then the xterra wont have any problem with a 5000lbs boat.

#415788 - 09/12/04 07:34 AM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Hawkeye Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs ,CO,USA
If you boat/trailer combo weighs 4000lbs, I would bet that you are actually towing around 5000 lbs. Have you figuered in 30+ gallons of gas? Any water storage? All of your fishing/safety/electronics gear... What is the gross weight capacity of a 5-speed? When you figure in people/coolers...
Now:
'04 Ttan LE CC
"Drink it up, this ones for you, it's been a lovely cruise"-Buffett

#415789 - 09/12/04 10:45 AM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It will be fine, I used to have a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder and I towed about 5500lbs with it, and had no problems (5spd) and my current X is an auto and I have towed teh same, its just in how you drive it. The weakpoint is the clutch, as long as you take it easy on that, you will be fine.

#415790 - 09/12/04 01:51 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would recommend you get the AAL's just so your truck isnt sagging its ass off when you tow.

If you have any passangers, they will thank you for it..

I think you will be fine with pulling that boat... i launch a 3000 pound whaler with absolutly no issues, the truck feels great doing it, so i would imagine at most it will be a little more challenging, but nothing too bad. just be sure you know how to use the clutch well..

#415791 - 09/12/04 05:20 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
ketel1and7 Offline

Yeah...i'm not even sure about the tongue weight yet.

The trailer I'm looking at certainly has brakes. I wouldn't trust it without it. The trek has a certain amount of hills but nothing like climbing the mountain or anything. Just things you generally get from standard New Jersey Roads. The entire distance is about 45 miles and I'd probably only tow it twice a year. One to put her in...one to take her out at the end of the season. It sounds like I should generally be ok...I'll make sure my clutch skills are up to par those days.

Quote:
If you boat/trailer combo weighs 4000lbs, I would bet that you are actually towing around 5000 lbs. Have you figuered in 30+ gallons of gas? Any water storage? All of your fishing/safety/electronics gear
You're right about the extra weight. I'm sure gas etc. puts alot on her. What I'll probably do is take her for a test tow. If I think she'll be ok...then i'll just keep driving. Otherwise, I believe Mako boats are generally lighter (about 700-900 lbs) because of the hollow hull. Maybe I'll be better off with one of those.

I'll also Look into the centerforce clutch...last resort...trade her in for a Titan! smile

Thanks for all the replies guys. If you have any more...keep em coming..I'm sure plenty of people searching this thread will find it usefull.

You guys rock.

David

#415792 - 09/12/04 05:25 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ketel1and7:
I'll also Look into the centerforce clutch...last resort...trade her in for a Titan! smile
When I suggested that I just meant if your current clutch actually goes out - there's no reason to upgrade it while the stocker still works - it may work just fine for quite some time.

#415793 - 09/12/04 09:39 PM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

if you are worried about recovering it from the water.. put it in 4lo on the ramp, once it levels out shift back to 2hi to park it, and strap the boat on the trailer.. don't forget to unlock the hubs before you take off..
Most of the ramps I use are slick with alge at low tide, so I normally have to use 4wd to recover my boat..

#415794 - 10/12/04 02:22 AM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A driver cannot be as gentle with a manual tranny, as an auto tranny is. I ruined my manual transmission on an 86 4Runner, doing only a couple of hundred miles of heavy towing (offroad). There is no doubt the clutch also took a beat.

I'd do it, but I would be very gentle with it when towing that boat. Although starting from the ramp in low range will alleviate theload on the clutch and allow to be less harsh, the transmission will still have to handle all the torque.

Food for thought anyway...

#415795 - 10/12/04 07:30 AM Re: Increase Towing capacity on a 5 speed?
Hawkeye Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs ,CO,USA
Trade her for a Titan-That's exactly what I did. I Pulled a 4000lb I/O for one summer with the automatic, got a Titan in Spetember.
Now:
'04 Ttan LE CC
"Drink it up, this ones for you, it's been a lovely cruise"-Buffett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal