Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#410768 - 30/01/05 08:44 AM Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Went to the local meineke in Carson City and asked them what they recommended for my xterra. They said they wouldn't go with a flowmaster because of the salt and such on the roads in Tahoe and recommended either a vortec or a glass pack muffler. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these mufflers or knew how they sounded? And I wan't to avoid a "ricey" sound at all costs. Thanks for your help.

#410769 - 30/01/05 12:38 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone has got to have something to say about these mufflers. Should i not go with vortech or glass pack at all and just stick with flowmaster?? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

#410770 - 30/01/05 03:02 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seems as though most guys are going with the Flowmasters.

I wonder if the muffler shop had a 'special' on either of the other two?

The Flowmaster 40 or 50 series seems to be the most common, at least in my experience.

#410771 - 30/01/05 03:40 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know about those other mufflers, but I can tell you that the Flowmasters 40 series sounds nice. But than again, 90% of the time I play my music loud enough to drown the noise so I wouldn't be able to tell you if the sound really is all that annoying. Although I did drive one day without any music, simply thinking, and it did occur to me that the drown from the Flowmasters is kinda annoying.

Here's my opinion on sound:
First let me tell you that I have a S/C, and when I floor it the whine from the S/C (and mean green alternator) drown the sound of the flowmasters. But, on low rpm's (less that 3,500 RPM) I can feel the growl from the Flowmaster, and I love it. All my friends agree with me that the sound is amazing (remember my compliments are coming from college kids), and everyday I remote start my car my mouth waters from the simple roar of the flowmaster. I personally 100% love the upgrade, and consider it one of the cheapest best upgrades I've done to my car.

If you got any other specific questions, I'll be reading this post to make sure that you'll be getting an answer.

#410772 - 30/01/05 04:28 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the response. The shop, which was a meineke, told me that the flowmasters would rust out within a year because of the salt on the roads in tahoe. They said the vortech was very similar to the flowmaster but better because it has stronger welds and will resist corrosion better. The glass pack was a small tube like muffler with very little resistance. They said it will have a deep sound but it the glass pack has the look of a muffler that would have a "ricey" sound. How do flowmasters hold up in snow areas where salt is put on the ground, anyone have experience with durability of them?

#410773 - 30/01/05 04:55 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh!! I know what a glass pack muffler is!!! DO NOT get one of those. For a truck, that needs torque, your gonna want to get something that produces back pressure, and a glass pack muffler will do the opposite.

Anyway, the vortech so far sounds like your best bet, I have no experience what so ever with salty roads, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what is to be your best choice in that climate.

#410774 - 30/01/05 04:58 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks again. So what i'm hearing is i should go for the vortech?? All I can tell you about it is that i looks very similar to a flowmaster. Just Blue, is the sound you get nice and deep or how could you describe it? Sounds like i will get the vortech and see flowmaster results. How much should it cost for the muffler, tip and installation? He quoted me $200, does this sound right or what should we be talking?

#410775 - 30/01/05 05:03 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there anyone out there who can attest to a flowmaster in an area like mine where rust is an issue?

#410776 - 30/01/05 05:21 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hm... the sound of a flowmaster is very unique. It's deep and throaty, but not too deep. When I floor it, I have a hard time hearing it because of the S/C, but from what I can hear it sounds less throaty and more airish. It's hard to describe, but it's not a bad sound at all. You should look online for this "vortech" muffler that meineke wants you to get, you could most definately find it cheaper on the internet. All you need to know is the inlet and outlet size of 2.25" i believe. And then just go to a muffler shop and ask them how much it would cost to put it on (60 bucks is good).

I should tell you that I got my flowmaster 40 for 40 bucks online, and had it welded on at a local shop for 60 bucks.

#410777 - 30/01/05 05:29 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all your help just blue, i'll let you know what happens

#410778 - 30/01/05 05:42 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

good, no problem

#410779 - 30/01/05 08:45 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Paint the Flowmaster with a couple of caots of high temp paint and it will last as long as anything else in an area that uses road salt.

#410780 - 31/01/05 08:27 AM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Glasspack on my Xterra, it is better than the 40 series by far, I know because I had one. The Flowmaster is not going to last you up there, and by the way the Glasspack produces more power for me. It sounds deeper and more throaty. I jsut didnt like the Flowmaster because I could hear my AEM intake and Throttle Body Spacer over the 40 series. Now with the Glasspack I can for sure tell it's there, especially when I stand up on the gas pedal!!!!!!

#410781 - 31/01/05 08:46 AM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hm.. Atchley, does your glass exhaust make a ricey tone?

#410782 - 31/01/05 07:42 PM Re: Glass Pack and Vortech?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nope, ever heard the 4.0 wrangler with glasspacks? it sounds deep like that. No rice!!! Nice and deep sounding.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal