Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#414322 - 29/11/05 02:38 PM premium gas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got a 2003 pathfinder and it says use gasolne with an octane rating of at least 91. What happens/bad side effects will happen if you do not use premium gas? will engine knock happen for sure?

*i really thought i posted this in the off topic section. My bad.*

#414323 - 29/11/05 03:20 PM Re: premium gas
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
If the engine is tuned for premium, it is tuned for a slow burning fuel...and the timing is set to take advantage of the time from the ignition spark to the push on the piston, etc...

If you use a lower octane fuel, the burn time is faster (Flame propagation, etc...), and the ignited fuel will try to push the piston sooner than if you had a slower burn...

so - you might try to push the piston while it is still coming towards the spark, rather than just as it starts away again...

So - Its like you are pushing a kid on a swing...

...and give your shove while the kid is coming towards you, and you knock the kid off the swing.

That's "Knock"

If you just jolt the kid a bit early, but he hangs on, that's "Ping".

laugh

So - you should have a knock sensor, which should adjust the timing to keep the kid from getting too banged up...

But, now you are just pushing later, and softer, in fail soft mode so to speak.

The kid wants to go higher and further...but you are too retarded (Timing Joke...) relative to your timing to do it.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#414324 - 29/11/05 04:22 PM Re: premium gas
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ, if i can just say, thats gotta be one of the best explanations i've read in a long time [LOL]

#414325 - 29/11/05 04:32 PM Re: premium gas
Anonymous
Unregistered

The "kid on a swing" explanation surfaces again.

So how would you explain throwing a rod with the same example? Taking a kid and shovin him through the cylindrical slide in the playpen?

#414326 - 29/11/05 05:37 PM Re: premium gas
Anonymous
Unregistered

haha thanks tj, good explanation. So pretty much. DONT DO IT!? or if i do use reg gas the ecu will reset for the change and i will loose power.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal