Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#411658 - 12/12/05 08:35 PM K&N on Supercharged X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I installed my K&N air intake this weekend. Instalation was simple enough, but to get everything to fit I had to install the filter first and work backwards bending the hell out of the heat sheild. It looks and sounds great, not a huge noticeable power gain but it has the fun factor. The only question I have is the whine from the supercharger is crazy loud when it drops into the passing gear or when I really get on it. I am assuming the resonators sp? are put there to stop this? And now the supercharger noise has a quick way out? Please add input here... I am not complaining as it sounds good to me, but you may want to keep that in mind if you are moding the wifes kid picker upper. Thanks, Tim

#411659 - 13/12/05 04:30 PM Re: K&N on Supercharged X
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
The stock setup plumbed the noise from the intake into the front fender. Now that you no longer have an airbox, you will notice the sound more. Don't forget to clean your filter periodically, it catches an unbelieveable amount of stuff now that it is out in the open.

#411660 - 13/12/05 04:50 PM Re: K&N on Supercharged X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay. The "whine" that you are referring to is the true trademark of supercharging. The K&N that you installed eliminated all the blockage points in your intake system. This includes the resonators that dampen the whine of your supercharger. Everytime that you open up your intake or exhaust system you will increase the level of noise that can be heard in the engine. The resonators in place in your X were there for this reason. Actually, the Roots style supercharger on the X is quieter than a centrifugal supercharger found in most bolt-on kits for cars.
Everytime you add a performance tool it affects driveability. A high lift cam will affect a vehicle's idle, in your case, the K&N opened up air to the engine and you are getting the feed back from the intake.
Personally, nothing sounds better than the whine of a supercharger working happily under the hood. If the wife and kids ask, I would tell them that is the sound of power.

#411661 - 13/12/05 06:03 PM Re: K&N on Supercharged X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea that's kind of what I thought, but thanks for confirming it, I appreciate the response. Lucky for me, no wife nagging or kids screaming, just me and the whine and whistle of my supercharger. Thanks again, Tim

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal