2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#408596 - 02/08/06 09:59 PM Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I just bought my 2004 X, and can't leave anything stock for long. I wanna do an intake and exhaust combo first, but can't find an exhaust that doesn't sound like ass.

Gibson was WAY too farty. Sounded like a Civic.
Magnaflow sounds the best from what I've heard, but I was just wondering what everyone else is running or wants to run.

I know it's a puny V6 and it'll never sound all that great, but I'll stick with stock if my only options are a fart can exhasut. smile

#408597 - 02/08/06 11:27 PM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Huh, did you actually hear the Gibson in person and on an Xterra with a V6? confused If you heard one on an Xterra and it was "farty" then something else was changed or the exhaust was improperly installed, or...??? Gibson is smooth and sweet. Believe me, if it were "farty" I would have heard about it by now and mine would have been gone a long time ago!

#408598 - 03/08/06 05:17 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Same here. I have the gibson on my X and it sound nice. Deep tone. Barely hear it inside the cabin.

#408599 - 03/08/06 06:39 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had a Magnaflow Turbo XL can (2.5 in 2.5 out) welded up on my 01 and it ran me about $175 total. It has a mild tone and isn't real ricey. Find a good exhaust shop and buy a can off the net and have it welded up. It was alot cheaper than buying a whole aftermarket system and if you destroy it, you have little $ invested.

#408600 - 03/08/06 06:58 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by O1xTeRRa:
I just had a Magnaflow Turbo XL can (2.5 in 2.5 out) welded up on my 01 and it ran me about $175 total. It has a mild tone and isn't real ricey. Find a good exhaust shop and buy a can off the net and have it welded up. It was alot cheaper than buying a whole aftermarket system and if you destroy it, you have little $ invested.
Did u just have the muffler put on did u change the size of the exhuast at all. Becuase changing the muffler is pointless. There is a reason after market systems go up in size. Not to mention most after market systems are fully bolt on which makes a trip to the muffler shop unnessasary.

#408601 - 03/08/06 07:37 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Huh, did you actually hear the Gibson in person and on an Xterra with a V6? confused If you heard one on an Xterra and it was "farty" then something else was changed or the exhaust was improperly installed, or...??? Gibson is smooth and sweet. Believe me, if it were "farty" I would have heard about it by now and mine would have been gone a long time ago!
I have not actually heard one in person. All I was going off of was the sound clips they have on their website.

So Gibson is nice and smooth huh? Is it real loud? How about inside the truck? I don't want something loud at all cuz my X is nice and quite on the inside right now and I kinda like it. laugh

#408602 - 03/08/06 11:33 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rattmobbins:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
[b]Huh, did you actually hear the Gibson in person and on an Xterra with a V6? confused If you heard one on an Xterra and it was "farty" then something else was changed or the exhaust was improperly installed, or...??? Gibson is smooth and sweet. Believe me, if it were "farty" I would have heard about it by now and mine would have been gone a long time ago!
I have not actually heard one in person. All I was going off of was the sound clips they have on their website.

So Gibson is nice and smooth huh? Is it real loud? How about inside the truck? I don't want something loud at all cuz my X is nice and quite on the inside right now and I kinda like it. laugh [/b]
You may hear a faint rumble from the exhuast. But i dont have to well to ahve a coversation with my wife. even when I get on it I hear the intake not the exhuast grunting.

#408603 - 03/08/06 06:03 PM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

chia

From the cats back is 2.5" pipe, into the muffler and out to 2.5" pipe.

#408604 - 04/08/06 06:01 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by O1xTeRRa:
chia

From the cats back is 2.5" pipe, into the muffler and out to 2.5" pipe.
on the 2005+ the entire exhasust from the cats is replaced using new ypipe and muffler. I think its 2 or 2.5 inch from cats into the muffler and 2.5-3 inch out.

#408605 - 04/08/06 07:43 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put the Magnaflow SS Cat back on mine about 3 months ago. I think it sounds fantastic!

Not ricey at all. It lowered the exhaust note considerably, providing a nice noticeable grunt when you step on it, and nothing when you are just cruising around...

Anything above 3000 rpm is noticeably louder then stock, but it's not annoying like it was on my '92 Civic :rolleyes: And when you do lay into it a bit, the sound is nice ant throaty. Not like a 5.0 Mustang obviously, but way better then stock.

I considered the Gibson as well, but got a smokin' deal on the Magna, so I went that way instead.

#408606 - 04/08/06 09:21 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently put on the CALMINI cat back exhaust. Super easy install and I'm very happy with the sound. Plus its pretty inexpensive.

#408607 - 04/08/06 10:05 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the gibson on my frontier for about a week. I couldn't stand it's tone. Way too civic like in the higher rpms. Sold it almost immediately.

Nismo's adds a much deeper tone; I'm much happier with it.

#408608 - 04/08/06 10:44 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
I had the gibson on my frontier for about a week. I couldn't stand it's tone. Way too civic like in the higher rpms. Sold it almost immediately.

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I heard the clip on the Gibson website.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, now I'm back to confusion.

#408609 - 04/08/06 11:29 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I had the gibson on my frontier for about a week. I couldn't stand it's tone. Way too civic like in the higher rpms. Sold it almost immediately.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, now I'm back to confusion.[/b]
The kicker for me was I revved it for a friend, and he called me a rice burner... It was off the truck the next day.

#408610 - 04/08/06 11:36 AM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]I had the gibson on my frontier for about a week. I couldn't stand it's tone. Way too civic like in the higher rpms. Sold it almost immediately.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, now I'm back to confusion.[/b]
The kicker for me was I revved it for a friend, and he called me a rice burner... It was off the truck the next day.[/b]
Did you install it right. If you install the muffler the wrong way it does sound ricey. Mine dosent sound ricey. I know ricey I used to drive a mirage with a fart can on it and My gibson is no where near sounding like that.

#408611 - 07/08/06 06:30 PM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you want non-rice, stick with the stock muffler. I'm in the same boat as far as what you want. My Z is too loud so I like having my X nice and quiet inside, yet I'm always looking for more power and better sound one way or another. I decided to just stick with the stock muffler since I got this car to be a daily driver, not a race car.

#408612 - 07/08/06 07:15 PM Re: Are there any non-ricey exhausts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BADFNZ:
If you want non-rice, stick with the stock muffler. I'm in the same boat as far as what you want. My Z is too loud so I like having my X nice and quiet inside, yet I'm always looking for more power and better sound one way or another. I decided to just stick with the stock muffler since I got this car to be a daily driver, not a race car.
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm leaning towards. It's not gonna add enough horsepower to even notice, and it it's too loud, it'll just bug the piss out of me. I might throw a nice chrome tip on it to dress it up a bit, but that's it. laugh

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal