2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406289 - 31/08/06 10:01 PM Custom filter box for K&N FIPK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, so I've searched this topic to death and must now ask the question:

Has anyone out there designed a custom airbox for the K&N FIPK (Gen II) that draws air from the fenderwell instead of from the engine compartment?

I'm starting to notice some differences in the performance of my truck with the K&N filter kit on. I was troubleshooting a noise under the hood and running the engine, and started to notice that with the hood open the X was idling smoother, and readout from the ScanGauge was much improved. So, I'm thinking that maybe there really is something to that cold/hot air intake argument. I want to make a custom box that has a lot of room for the filter, and is built off the "splash shield" that shipped with the FIPK. I unfortunately don't have the tools to do a quality job, and would like to know if anyone has anything built already and might have plans. I would be willing to pay for the blueprints if they exist.

Thanks for your help! [Wave]

#406290 - 01/09/06 03:35 AM Re: Custom filter box for K&N FIPK
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You mean like this?

My aluminum airbox

I built another one after mine for a friend that was a bit more refined. They did help reduce air intake temps and they sound neato too! laugh

Unfortunately, I have no blueprints; they were modeled after a cardboard mockup that has since disappeared into the great depths of my garage or maybe thrown away? I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to make another one right now, but maybe the pictures can give you or someone else an idea or two!

#406291 - 03/09/06 12:39 PM Re: Custom filter box for K&N FIPK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow...well if you ever get the chance to work up another one, I'll take two smile . Anyway, thanks for the response...I see i have some work ahead of me and unfortunately don't have the tools to do the work. I'll see what I can work up, and perhaps I can create some blueprints for future use.

#406292 - 05/09/06 02:33 AM Re: Custom filter box for K&N FIPK
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'd like to make more, but not sure when it will happen. I want another one myself since mine was the first prototype and has some imperfections. Right now my Geo is taking most of my very limited free time; especially now that Bambi rearranged the front end for me last night! frown

#406293 - 05/09/06 01:50 PM Re: Custom filter box for K&N FIPK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bambi's a reall [Finger]

I had an old Dodge Daytona turbo...stupid little car but with that Turbo tuned up she would do 150 easy...and farm roads in northern NY were perfect for running wide open in the summer. 3 am on an August night and Bambi and 2 cousins decided to take that car from me.

Best of luck with the geo [drink] ...and if I can help out in getting something put together for a custom-built, replicable filter box for the K&N FIPK, I will. Thanks again.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal