Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#414529 - 22/05/06 07:55 PM Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, so I have been searching a lot and reading old posts but I have not gotten a clear answer for a few reasons. I have an 03 XE with 30,000 miles on it, I also have a Volant air intake on there. I want a new muffler, what I want is a good sound, better than stock obviously. I want a good rumble with some power sound when I turn the ignition and when I really hit the gas. But on the same note I do not want it always being real loud. I do not want to drive around and have people in there houses come out to see what just rolled by, and I want to be able to have a convo in the truck with out yelling. I don't if i am asking to much here or not, but I was thinking Flowmaster 40 but will that be too loud? Then I was thinking Borla, will that be too light? The intake will make it louder also right?

Another thing, I don't have a ton of extra money and I would like to just do the muffler. But, at 30,000 would I need new pipes soon after anyways? Thanks for any help guys, sorry if this is covered somewhere but I have been searching and have not had all the answers clear yet.

Two more thing, which Borla muffler is right for the xterra? And, is there any advantage to a dual exhuast, I want to do two pipes out but on the same side so I can keep the spare.

#414530 - 07/06/06 05:31 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
I've got over 95K on my original exhaust with salty winter roads and it still looks fine. You probably have about the same climate where you are and won't have to replace them anytime soon.

#414531 - 07/06/06 05:35 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've have 105k lots of salt in the winter and still have the origional exhaust. No heat shields left and I tore the outer sheet metal off the muffler, but still no holes.

You should have a long way to go. laugh

#414532 - 07/06/06 06:40 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

if ur getting a new muffler i say get new pipes, the stock ones are small and too restrictive for a new brand new muffler. Let it breathe!!

#414533 - 07/06/06 08:37 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

suncatcher, i was in the same boat as you, wanting a nice sound but still not too loud. im quite happy with my setup. it a 40 series flowmaster with 2.5 inch piping. i also havea k and n intake also. its sounds great. btw i also stuck with a single rear exit similar to what it came with from the factory

#414534 - 10/06/06 08:53 AM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

whats the approx cost on the flow 40 and 2.5's????

#414535 - 11/06/06 04:10 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I replaced my stock setup at about 108k with a flowmaster 40 and custom bent 3 1/2 inch pipe. I also have an Airaid cold air intake and, between the two, have a great sound, better peformance and overall good response.

The exhaust cost me just over $300 in NH. I have a single pipe (no duals) and only modified the exit to keep the exhaust from coming back toward the truck.

Overall, it's been a good upgrade and something that I almost wish that I'd done a little sooner - if only for my ego.

#414536 - 19/11/06 09:47 AM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

how does an X w/ flowmaster 40's sound? comparable to anything else?

#414537 - 21/11/06 11:22 AM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by reddevil07:
suncatcher, i was in the same boat as you, wanting a nice sound but still not too loud. im quite happy with my setup. it a 40 series flowmaster with 2.5 inch piping. i also havea k and n intake also. its sounds great. btw i also stuck with a single rear exit similar to what it came with from the factory
Do you get any interior resonance with a Flowmaster 40? I had them an a mustang and at certain speeds it seemed like I had to yell just to be able to talk to my passenger.

#414538 - 21/11/06 01:48 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had American Thunders dumped before the axle and it was too much with a power chamber ahead of them.

I changed over to ultra flo's and wow, what a difference. Plus you could look right through them, unlike the noisy flowmasters. In reality, through numberous muffler shootouts, they are all are within 3hp of each other.

The car is quiet cruising, still has the classic pop-corn rumble at idle (of course the cam hasn't changed but you still cannot mistake it for anything other than a v8), and produces enough noise at WOT.

#414539 - 21/11/06 02:21 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Flowmaster Super 40 and 2.5" pipe from the y-pipe back. I was really surprised by how quiet it is (considering I've had flowmasters on several cars). I almost wish it were louder. Almost.

#414540 - 22/11/06 08:11 AM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by romeo_913:
Quote:
Originally posted by reddevil07:
[b]suncatcher, i was in the same boat as you, wanting a nice sound but still not too loud. im quite happy with my setup. it a 40 series flowmaster with 2.5 inch piping. i also havea k and n intake also. its sounds great. btw i also stuck with a single rear exit similar to what it came with from the factory
Do you get any interior resonance with a Flowmaster 40? I had them an a mustang and at certain speeds it seemed like I had to yell just to be able to talk to my passenger.[/b]
I run the 40 as well and I don't really get any resonance inside. I can surely hear it, but it's not nearly (or at all) as annoying and those fart cans on ricers (talking about inside noise).

#414541 - 22/11/06 02:29 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I get a good sound when I'm driving, but it's not so loud that I'm drawing attention to myself. I think part of the reason why I feel like it's in the sweetspot is that I've got a large pipe in and out.

#414542 - 22/11/06 03:45 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Svendog:
I get a good sound when I'm driving, but it's not so loud that I'm drawing attention to myself. I think part of the reason why I feel like it's in the sweetspot is that I've got a large pipe in and out.
Have you noticed any decrease in torque with a pipe with that large of a diameter?

#414543 - 26/11/06 07:50 AM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

how difficult is it to change the exhaust and does it make your gas milage worse?

#414544 - 29/11/06 02:45 PM Re: Borla vs. Flowmaster...full pipes vs. just muffler
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, The Calmini mufflers are quiet with a little rumbling sound.

Please get a JEBS catalog...they may have the right muffler for you....So many too choose from and sizes too...

I just added a MSD blaster 2 coil on my old Dodge ram...Wow! what a difference it made..started up quicker and runs much smoother, feels it has more power? .........Aloha

Click on JEGS

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal