2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#407204 - 27/06/07 07:38 AM Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

How much power can be gained from eliminating the stock belt-driven fan, and replacing it with an electric fan setup?

Do you think this will improve gas mileage any as well?

Are there any companies/people that make lightweight or underdrive pulley pulley sets for the 3.3L engines?

I've been playing with a few things to improve my gas mileage lately and I'm getting 19mpg around town. I'm going to be pumping up the tires a little more and removing my spare/jack/hitch, and maybe the roof rack (I would like to reduce the drag but I think X's look dumb without them). I will also be switching to synthetic oil this next oil change. I just changed to synthetic oil in my rear end as well. I would like to get into the 22mpg range, and maybe make a little more power while I'm at it.

#407205 - 27/06/07 08:16 AM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont expect much in the change for milage, this is something that I will do this summer hopefully. I am doing it more for the ability of shutting it off in deep water. The parasitic drag from the factory fan is neglable in comparison to the actual output of the engine. The hp arguement might hold up at the strip but not for a 2 ton truck.

#407206 - 27/06/07 10:05 AM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a machine shop at school that I have access to as long as I purchase all my own materials. I may look into machining some lightweight replacement pulleys for the alternator, power steering pump, and fan; as well as a lightweight underdrive pulley for the crank.

Do you think that will make any difference in power?

#407207 - 27/06/07 10:28 AM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Without doint a lot of head and cam work I dont really seeing it making a big enough difference to warrent. But if this is something that you want to do just for the fun of fabrication than go ahead and do it you have nothing to loose.

If you really want to do some engineering, came up with an alt relocation, now that is something that would be a big plus.

#407208 - 27/06/07 11:04 AM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, prior to the X I drove a neon. On that car I installed a lightweight undrive crank pulley and an aluminum alternator pulley, as well as removed the a/c and power steering. It made a huge difference in throttle response and power. I was just curious as to whether getting rid of some parasitic drag on the engine would gain any substantial power. I may do it just because I can and I know it can't hurt power any lol.

Alternator relocation? Why would I want to do that and where would I relocate it to? Someone post some links or something to help me out.

Mike

#407209 - 27/06/07 11:09 AM Re: Electric Fans
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Relocate the alternator to a higher location. It's located at the bottom of the engine and notorious for getting crap (mainly mud) in it and frying.

#407210 - 27/06/07 11:37 AM Re: Electric Fans
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by GingerKidzFTW:
Well, prior to the X I drove a neon. On that car I installed a lightweight undrive crank pulley and an aluminum alternator pulley, as well as removed the a/c and power steering. It made a huge difference in throttle response and power. I was just curious as to whether getting rid of some parasitic drag on the engine would gain any substantial power. I may do it just because I can and I know it can't hurt power any lol.
Isn't a Neon a 4-banger with electric fans already? What advantage will an underdrive pulley have on the 3.3 liter V6?

I certainly hope you're not going to remove the P/S on the X...

#407211 - 27/06/07 11:54 AM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
Quote:
[b]Well, prior to the X I drove a neon. On that car I installed a lightweight undrive crank pulley and an aluminum alternator pulley, as well as removed the a/c and power steering. It made a huge difference in throttle response and power. I was just curious as to whether getting rid of some parasitic drag on the engine would gain any substantial power. I may do it just because I can and I know it can't hurt power any lol.
Isn't a Neon a 4-banger with electric fans already? What advantage will an underdrive pulley have on the 3.3 liter V6?

I certainly hope you're not going to remove the P/S on the X...[/b]
No, the p/s is staying. I'm just saying if I can decrease the amount of energy that is used to turn the accessory pulleys, by making them from aluminum and making the crank pulley smaller (i.e. an "underdrive" pulley, which spins easier due to less rotational mass and the location of that mass), and perhaps making the change to an electric fan, then that saved power will be used to turn my wheels. Thus, giving me more power and better fuel economy.

#407212 - 27/06/07 12:44 PM Re: Electric Fans
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have tried several different fuel-saving strategies as well, and to be honest, none of them (electric fan, manual hubs, high-performance plug wires, etc.) have really improved MPG noticeably more than simply driving at reduced highway speeds (60-65mph instead of 75-80mph). If I drive approx 75mph, I'll average around 15mpg. Slowing to around 63mph, I can get over 18mpg.

I really don't think that an underdrive pulley is going to help that much. My guess is you'll save maybe 0.25 mpg, which is virtually undetectable. The Xterra is heavy, has a high drag coefficient, and the engine is just not all that powerful.

But good luck with your endeavors anyway!

#407213 - 27/06/07 01:03 PM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
I have tried several different fuel-saving strategies as well, and to be honest, none of them (electric fan, manual hubs, high-performance plug wires, etc.) have really improved MPG noticeably more than simply driving at reduced highway speeds (60-65mph instead of 75-80mph). If I drive approx 75mph, I'll average around 15mpg. Slowing to around 63mph, I can get over 18mpg.

I really don't think that an underdrive pulley is going to help that much. My guess is you'll save maybe 0.25 mpg, which is virtually undetectable. The Xterra is heavy, has a high drag coefficient, and the engine is just not all that powerful.

But good luck with your endeavors anyway!
Thanks, I'm really hoping that the reduced parasitic drag will increase fuel efficiency and power in city driving, since thats where I drive the most.

#407214 - 27/06/07 01:33 PM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

It won't help.

#407215 - 27/06/07 05:55 PM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any time that you can reduce drag on the motor (getting rid of the clutch fan, Small lighter pullies and so forth) you will gain power and acceleration. There are no two ways around it.

#407216 - 27/06/07 08:27 PM Re: Electric Fans
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Midnightrun1:
Any time that you can reduce drag on the motor (getting rid of the clutch fan, Small lighter pullies and so forth) you will gain power and acceleration. There are no two ways around it.
That is 100% correct.

For example, if I cut off my hair, I can run faster.

Hair causes wind drag, so cutting it off reduces my wind drag and makes me able to run faster.

Hair has weight, so cutting it off reduces weight, which increases my power to weight ratio (Unless I'm Samson?)

So- no two ways about it...If I cut off my hair, I will be able to run faster.

Look out Special Olympics, here I come...

[Freak]

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#407217 - 27/06/07 08:31 PM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebeauchea:
It won't help.
Why not? It's simple physics that shows that ths will increase power output to the wheels.

How much? We don't know because no one has tried it yet. I'll be sure to let you know if I make. Who knows if there is a god increase maybe there will be a market for them. Someone's gotta try it. I might as well do it.

Mike

#407218 - 27/06/07 09:03 PM Re: Electric Fans
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Quote:

We don't know because no one has tried it yet.
Several people have tried it and they did'nt get any noticeable power or MPG gains. In fact most ended up putting the fan clutch back on. The power/amps needed to drive a electric fan comparable to the stock fan clutch is pretty high.

The water pump pulley still needs to spin, the power steering needs all the power it gets... if there is a market/need for underdrive stuff for this application think we would have seen it by now with this 20+ yr old design.

#407219 - 27/06/07 10:49 PM Re: Electric Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tryed 2 electric fans and ended up with overheating problems. Wasn't worth the effort.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal