2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434387 - 11/01/02 12:46 PM Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
5steve5 Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD
We know that removing or disconnecting the rear sway is a must for off-road. How does doing that affect on-road handling? More body roll? More understeer?

SLR sells several rear Bilsteins, one which is for the X with rear sway removed. Why? I guess I should ask them and not waste you guys' time. Have a good weekend.

#434388 - 11/01/02 01:03 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
good luck asking SLR... they have been MIA for months... i believe the shocks you mention 1. will not fit with the swaybar(their too wide) 2. are stiffer and therefore somewhat compansate for the sloppy swaybar-less rear end

of coarse removing the swaybar is going to adversly effect on road behavior... thats why the best solution is the quick disconnects made by companies like Cal-mini...

#434389 - 11/01/02 03:03 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by 5steve5:
SLR sells several rear Bilsteins, one which is for the X with rear sway removed. Why? I guess I should ask them and not waste you guys' time. Have a good weekend.

The rear set they sell for someone who is removing the rear swaybar has a larger (wider) cylinder. If you want to keep your swaybar on, they have a set with a smaller cylinder so the swaybar won't bang against it.

I opted for the larger cylinder and had my swaybar removed when the shocks were installed. I don't feel any difference in handling when onroad, but I'm not exactly in the habit of doing panic swerves, so I can't say if the effect will be greater in that area, now, with the swaybar off.

Sorry, I don't have the specific part number for the Bilsteins I received.

#434390 - 11/01/02 04:35 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
Stone4x4 Offline

Loc: Chandler AZ
Todrick, they weren't MIA a few weeks ago when I bought my shocks and shackles. Very helpful.

With the stiffer Bilstiens on and the rear swaybar removed I haven't noticed anything really different on road. And I drive all over all day. Over ninety on the highway. I thought I would but not the case. And my sway bar won't be goin back on cuz I broke it out muddin'.

Marshall

#434391 - 11/01/02 04:45 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone4x4:
Todrick, they weren't MIA a few weeks ago when I bought my shocks and shackles. Very helpful.

seriously!!!

thats very cool...
did you ask where they have been...
when is all the stuff that was supposed to be out months ago is coming out...
when are they gonna answer peoples questions on here...

very cool that they are not out of business as most of us thought

#434392 - 11/01/02 04:54 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:

seriously!!!

thats very cool...
did you ask where they have been...
when is all the stuff that was supposed to be out months ago is coming out...
when are they gonna answer peoples questions on here...

very cool that they are not out of business as most of us thought

Jason I actually talked to Spencer when I ordered my shocks yesterday and he was really helpfull. Although I wasn't prepared to answer the tough questions like which ones I want (H0-H2) and am I keeping my swaybar he was very patient and gave great advice.

I talked to Dez there afterwards and she seemed pretty sure that in the next few weeks we will start seeing the new products that we keep hearing about like the stage 4 suspension and the bumper.

Just a sidebar ; a good friend of mine works with a company that makes custom leaf spring packs ( Deaver in Santa Ana ) for a lot of race trucks and the said that SLR does great work and has a fantastic reputation. That's actually important to me since I'd never heard of them outside the net and this board and I'm giving them my hard earned cash.

#434393 - 11/01/02 04:57 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
Todrick Offline

i may have to go with the SLR stage 4 if the other avenue does not pan out... I liked what i saw but cost is an issue

#434394 - 12/01/02 10:59 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Removal: Change in Road Behavior?
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
for the part #'s, there is a post in this thread titled Bilstein Opinions (2nd page) that has the part numbers. I'm just too lazy to find it.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal