Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432659 - 10/09/02 09:50 AM torsion bar measurement
lingus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Wondering where I would measure the adjustment height when i crank up my torsion bars. Not too functional with the lingo. Heard something about A-bars?????

#432660 - 10/09/02 12:04 PM Re: torsion bar measurement
Deathmark Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
If it were me I would make sure I used some chalk and marked the bolt and nut so I knew how many turns I had turned each one.

You could measure the height of the wheel well with a yard stick or a tape measure. Like a before, after and after everything settles.

I'd love to hear how much lift you get out doing that. I've heard 2" without swapping UCA (Upper Control Arms).

#432661 - 10/09/02 12:13 PM Re: torsion bar measurement
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
The mesurement should be done some wehere on the frame , in front of the T bar

Bolts that hold bottom A arm is a perfect spot

dont put chalk on the adjuster bolt, it will be take off by the socket, and you will be left with no means of counting turns
take a sharp nail, and scratch one side of the adjuster bolt, and then you will know exsactly how many turns you did

you can get about 2 inches of lift, but thats pushing it to the max, and the ride will suffer

1-2 inches is what people are geting from T bar lift

goto www.maxc.org, and check out the instructions

#432662 - 10/09/02 12:14 PM Re: torsion bar measurement
lingus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Where exactly is the A-Arm??

#432663 - 10/09/02 01:20 PM Re: torsion bar measurement
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
The lower A-arm is the actual suspension component that holds the wheel to the vehicle, in an independent front suspension vehicle. There are two per side...an upper A-arm and a lower A-arm. The wheel spindle is, in essence, sandwiched between the A-arms. The A-arms are the components that allow the wheel to travel up and down with respect to the frame of the vehicle.

And....well....they are basically arms that hold the wheels on and look like "A" 's protruding from the frame of the vehicle.

Just an idea...if you're not very familiar with the components of the vehicle, you may want to hook up with some folks in your area who know more about vehicles, and learn from them. That way you can learn, versus just taking it somewhere to be worked on, and knowing how things work can be valuable on the trail or roadside. Plus, the torsion bars are a potentially dangerous thing to be playing with. They store a tremendous amount of static energy (enough to support the weight of the vehicle). And they can create problems if not addressed properly. Just an FYI.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal