2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#423842 - 07/07/03 09:55 PM Warn Manual Hubs
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
One of my first mods was to replace the OEM autos with Warn manual Hubs. I have noticed that the hubs are very hot to the touch, espcially after driving in Texas heat at freeway speeds. Every other 4WD I've ever owned has had manual hubs and I just don't remember them getting this hot. The wheels turn freely, the hubs operate normally and I see (and hear) no evidence of bearing oveheating. Has anybody else noticed this? Some of my friends have said that this is probably just disc brake heat being transferred, but I'd like to know if it's normal or not.

#423843 - 07/07/03 10:05 PM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
I have noticed the same thing with mine. Sometimes they are too hot to touch.

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#423844 - 08/07/03 12:33 PM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Same here, but the stock hubs are the same way.
Touch a lugnut, and compare temperatures.

#423845 - 08/07/03 08:04 PM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
BIBXTERRA Offline

HI There;

The Hubs are not designed to run "HOT". When you speak of hot, is it hot enough to burn your hand? If it is, there is something wrong with them. I have the Warn Manual Hubs and they get warm, but ever so slightly even after long hours of driving.

What I think you're feeling is the heat generated through conduction from the brake rotor. Because you drive an automatic, you will be using your braked than someone who drives a standard(which I do ). laugh The heat from the rotor will conduct throgh the lugs and the wheel itself and eveb through the old hubs.

If the heat is being conducted through the rotor, you have probably have nothing to worry about. Service your hubs once a year and make sure they properly greased(Note:DO NOT PACK THESE HUBS IN GREASE). If the heat is being generated by the Hubs, TAKE THEM OFF IMMEDIATELY. You don't need a burned out CV shaft and a burned out hub at the same time.

Hope that helps

BlackX

Hope this helps

#423846 - 08/07/03 09:02 PM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
XOC Offline
Admin

Mine are fine (brand new in fact), but they will burn your hand if you touch them.

Maybe you have thick skin smile

#423847 - 08/07/03 09:10 PM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've never noticed mine to be hot, but maybe I just haven't touched them at the right moment.

I definately agree that they are absorbing heat from the brakes, but I don't understand why anyone's brakes would be that hot after driving on the freeway. Guess maybe I'll check mine when I get to work in the morning or something.

#423848 - 09/07/03 04:50 AM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
I just checked mine after a 19 mile ride down the interstate. They were pretty hot. I also checked the wheel and it was hot too. There's no doubt that the heat is coming from the rotor, I'm just surprised they are that hot.

I agree, that's just another good reason to re-pack the bearings on a regular basis. I don't think that the heat will have too much effect on the hub though. Other than the o-ring, there's not too much that would be damaged by the heat. I always put grease on the o-ring on the hub where it mounts to the rotor for this reason. My hopes are that a little lubrication will keep them from cracking.

#423849 - 09/07/03 06:51 AM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
XOC Offline
Admin

O-ring on the rotor ?
Which O-ring ? The one in the Warn hub ?
The brake rotor ?

[Freak]

#423850 - 09/07/03 09:51 AM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
The o-ring on the base of the Warn hub, that inserts into the rotor. Sorry.

The only other rubber I know of in the entire assembly is that, and the grease seal behind the rotor. Or should I be calling that a hub? :rolleyes:

#423851 - 09/07/03 11:41 AM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
Thanks for all of your replies. I think it must be heat being conducted into the entire wheel assembly from the brake rotors. I probably just haven't noticed it until this set of hubs because I just haven't gone to lock previous ones at a time when they were hot. Plus this is the first automatic 4x4 I've ever owned. Anyway, it's been going on long enough so that if it were something wrong something would surely have failed before now! No smoke so far...

#423852 - 14/07/03 12:11 AM Re: Warn Manual Hubs
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I finally remembered to check mine Friday when I got to work. My commute consists of about 5 miles city then about 21 miles freeway (in Seattle rush hour traffic), and then 3 miles city again to my office for a total of about 29 miles and 1 hour 15 minutes of driving. When I got to my office I checked the hubs right away and they were luke warm at best. Let me put it this way; it was 85+ degrees here all last week and the interior walls in my apartment were much warmer than the hubs.

I have no idea why others get hot and mine don't? confused Tigheter bearings maybe? Different grease in the bearings? Weird.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal